Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Yes the Tekin motors have adjustable timing. Going to run some Sunday to get a little track time in for Vegas!

EA
Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As has been the moral of the story since the spear was invented, it's remarkable how much more effective we are with the right tools.

Literally two-thirds of this verbose, anecdotal, and contradictory thread would have been avoided if someone affiliated with Tekin would have spent 8 hours with a dyno and twenty common BL motors. By publishing these results, they would have legitimate answers and instantly become the source for BL performance knowledge.

-Adam
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
As has been the moral of the story since the spear was invented, it's remarkable how much more effective we are with the right tools.

Literally two-thirds of this verbose, anecdotal, and contradictory thread would have been avoided if someone affiliated with Tekin would have spent 8 hours with a dyno and twenty common BL motors. By publishing these results, they would have legitimate answers and instantly become the source for BL performance knowledge.

-Adam
Perhaps, but we must look within as well. A quick phone call to Tekin answered all of the questions I had spent hours fretting about on here. I'm sure they would love to have the time on their hands to try out every possible combination of motor with their ESC. As it is, they seem to know their own stuff inside and out and that's more than can be said for a lot of manufacturers, if you can even manage to get through to them in the first place.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Reen: You're login was ok'd by me for our Forum.

Anyone else trying to get in and having problems, shoot me a PM. All I need is the e-mail address you used for the login.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
ROFL!

It's good to hear that the RS is working so well for you, keep the feedback coming!!
Is there a specific timing recommended for Novak 10.5 and 17.5.Also is the timing ring turned up?This is on a 170ft oval,flat ozite.

Last edited by Ford Guy; 08-24-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Team Tekin

Most of our team guys that run oval like to run the motors mechanical timing all the way up. Then run the RS in sensored mode. Gear for speed and motor temps. Oval guys seem to push things to the brink of failure and on click back right!

Most of our team likes a lot of timing with anything higher then a 10.5
Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Ran my RS for the first time today with the SP 13.5 and it was awesome. Dual mode (motor timing is fixed), throttle profile 4, and 90% timing and it was as quick and as fast as anything out there. 4.6 FDR on rubber. Motor temp after the A Main was about 150°.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just got my Redline 17.5 Friday and tried it out Sunday. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't blown away...yet. I tried several different settings and have some more testing to do. I started out running @ 3.9 FDR with 88% timing. I didn't get the lap times my Orion would give me so I upped the timing to 100% with the same gearing. The top end was there for sure but not the lap times. I tried some gearing changes but still have some testing to do. I usually run 6:30 - 7 minute pratice runs. My temps were all under 170@ 6:30. I know not many of the Redlines have hit the streets yet but any tips would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Team Tekin

Try running in sensored only mode. The 17.5's and 21.5's need all the timing you can get...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

randy,
i was looking at getting a rs.
alls i will be running is 13.5.....is the pro version neccesary for just runing 13.5?
i might run some 10.5 but nothing faster...was wanting to get one of these for my losi type-r.....

also i see they have a combo deal...i can get a 13.5 and the speedo...
and im sure this question was asked already...but have peeps tride running different brands of 13.5 motors to see what works best....i have used orion 13.5 and thats all i have right noe..but like i said looking to get something smaller...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by morris
randy,
i was looking at getting a rs.
alls i will be running is 13.5.....is the pro version neccesary for just runing 13.5?
i might run some 10.5 but nothing faster...was wanting to get one of these for my losi type-r.....

also i see they have a combo deal...i can get a 13.5 and the speedo...
and im sure this question was asked already...but have peeps tride running different brands of 13.5 motors to see what works best....i have used orion 13.5 and thats all i have right noe..but like i said looking to get something smaller...
I don't think there are any conditions under which you'd need the Pro with a 13.5 or 10.5, unless you're racing outdoors in Phoenix in August.

I just started running the regular RS with a SpeedPassion 13.5. Yesterday was a nice sunny socal day and the ESC was just warm to the touch after a 5-minute race.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

you would be fine with the RS.

a RS pro is only needed for TC mod running crazy fast motors or even off-road with a 4wheel on very high bite track with a lot of motor.

a RS with 10.5 or 13.5 will do fine.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Try running in sensored only mode. The 17.5's and 21.5's need all the timing you can get...
OK...didn't try that. Thanks.

So that leads me to more questions:

1. Is max timing on the motor in "sensored only" mode more total timing than 100% timing in the esc in "hybrid" mode with the motor at default timing?

2. I thought to up the timing on a brushless motor you'd turn it clockwise. But on the motor the timing markings decrease going from 12 to 0 going in a clockwise direction? Or am I wrong?

Thanks for you support!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Team Tekin

To answer the first question: YES Right now running the motor with full mechanical timing and in SENSORED ONLY mode you will get about 39 degrees of timing depending on the motor.

In Hybrid mode you will get about 30 degrees of timing regardless of the motor timing. We aren't using the sensors for motor timing once we're rolling in Hybrid mode. This is why you will get a smoother throttle feel in hybrid mode.

Motors like the 17.5 up to about 10.5 benefit from the higher timing. There is a point though where it just creates more heat, not power. Gearing will also need to be adjusted since with higher timing more rpm's and less torque are generally found.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to mention that we're working on some very cool timing features... stay tuned. It's very nice being able to flash our esc's with the newest software or update keeping our team and our customers in the front!

Last edited by Randy_Pike; 08-25-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Most of our team guys that run oval like to run the motors mechanical timing all the way up. Then run the RS in sensored mode. Gear for speed and motor temps. Oval guys seem to push things to the brink of failure and on click back right!

Most of our team likes a lot of timing with anything higher then a 10.5
Thank you much for the info Randy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.