Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Just as a thought, maybe we should get together a list of things we would like to see come out for the buggy as options ( some of these listed are probably already in the works ) . I think these are the things I would like to see.

1. Slipper system
2. Larger range of spur gears ( 72 tooth and above that fit)
3. "Carbon" parts ( arms, shock towers, etc )
4. Transponder holder
5. Revised UJ axles

So far thats all I can think of. Stiffer material arms, towers, etc would be great from a racer perspective as well as the spur gears.

If anyone ( Dacookiemonsta? ) has any info on what is in the works specifically, please post.

I am excited to try my buggy this friday with the new tires and my new setup, should be great.

ThreeEwes, I sent you a message about your friends in Korea getting you stuff. If they can get the Kose parts that would be great!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think there is an issue with the shock towers, as if you make them too stiff, impact loads will be transfered directly to the gearbox tops, and possible cracking problems.

The driveshafts ARE being investigated, with the main concern in the UK being the wear between the drive pin on the shaft and the outdrive, I am currently fitting stainless steel pins to see if that cures it.

At the moment, Carbon parts are not essential to be honest, maybe later in the day, but I know of no plans of making them as yet.

Like I have said in previous posts, I don't think there is an issue with the range of spurs, but if you REALY thin kthere is an issue, I am sure something could be looked at.

Transponder holder, the STR4 Pro has one, in the UK, we just mount the transponder in the roof of the body, as there realy isnt that much room in there.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

would th Sb e strng enough so that some crazy person could go bashing with it?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

I should think so, racing mine for the second time, I hit a tree root which had apeared on the track, and hit it HARD, car never broke, just popped the motor out.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Legend

Honestly, I bash alot and I love the vehicle. The vehicle has only been questionable on the axle I broke really, as I have never broken an axle.

I hope to hear something more about this from Tim and maybe get a replacement one for free, but as I can't wait I ordered a pair, retails for $10.50 for two so thats not too bad.

As for the carbon options, my main thing is that alot of US racers may shy away from the Academy in its pro level if they feel the parts are too flexible. When they buy the Factory Team style kit, based on how the other 4wd Losi FT is, they probably will expect it to be rigid. Is this good or bad really depends on what you like, me, the vehicle feels great just need to get a good setup on it.

Hey Woody, any news on the slipper testing yet?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Th enew slipper worked fine in the team cars at a recent national meeting, but they have requested a few changes to it, so that you don't have to pop the propshaft out to alter the slipper clutch.

As for the arms being flexible, to a certain extent, a small amount of flex will make the car forgiving, making them stiffer will tend to make the car more precise, but more difficult to find the sweet spot.

I think Academy would take some convincing to do it, but then if there was a strong enough market, you never know.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Legend

I agree on the flex issue, some flex is not a bad thing at my level, besides the worlds was won by a stock B4, so that carbon obviously isn't fully needed to be competitive, but as an option you will be suprised how fast people gobble it up.

As for the slipper, can't wait to get one in my hands! I think being able to have one in the vehicle along with the right setup will give you the ultimate ability to tune the vehicle to any conditions out there.

Do you happen to have any pictures of what the pro shocks look like that academy offers?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

There is no PRO shock that I can think of realy, other than what is fitted to the Griffin Pro, but, being that is a few years old, you would have to take pointers from the STR4 Pro I think, which sports threaded shock bodies, so, I am hoping that they decided to incorporate them in the Pro kit, with some better pistons and shock seals.

But, we can only ask them, whether they do or not I don't know, but it will bring the car right up to date.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Hey Chris, Thanks again for the XR3, I made sure I put your batt back in your case ... I had a good time tonight and Next time I won't be so nervous... and maybe I'll have some extra parts!

I was a little disappointed in seeing the SB Run... Pot Metal AXLES? That was a little sad... Let me know what you do about that problem...

Still DEFINATELY interested in 4wd buggy...
Old 06-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

No need to be nervous about racing. Dont worry about what your friends are saying...you just drive!

No problem jeff. I saw the battery was in the case. Thanks for the trade. I like the truck.

No worries about the axles shaft on the sport. I personally will run the 2 piece standard black steel dog bones all aroung the car.
I will be on the phone to mrc tommorrow. I've got a legit beef about the motor mount and the axle shaft breaking

Now for really good news:
I located a NIIIIICE looking 76 tooth spur that is shape just like a flat disk with just one small center hole. This was what I was looking for and I cant wait to get this to the machine shop. When sb 70 spur and the is stacked smaller/ bigger the 76 is just slightly bigger than the sb.
By eyesight...it looks it will work. By tommorrow we'll KNOW so.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the advice chris, I appreciate it. Hey, by the way, where is the 3rd channel switch on this Transmitter? I noticed on the XR3i that it's right next to where your thumb goes... I can't find it on this Tx though...?

Yeah, Please, Pour your heart out to them, get their @$$e$ to send you new ones for FREE!!
See ya next time Dude,
-Jeff
Old 07-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

I'l find that manual for you.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

Are you saying that you have cast axles on your SB's in the States???
Old 07-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

Just been speaking to my Sponsor here in the UK, he has 72t spurs in stock ready to ship, he has also ordered 80t spurs for the SB from Academy, didin't know they did them, but then I am not going that high.

The Axle is a known problem to Academy and also I believe to MRC, so speak to MRC if you are having issues.

If you want a slipper clutch, then there is one already available for the car, with external adjustment, no need to wait for the new one if you want one now.

Also, if you got any tech questions, the UK importer has just set up a Forum for Academy owners at www.raceacademy.net/, so, if you have any problems or queries, then put it up there, the team and developement drivers look in on there and will answer as soon as they can. Also, if you are after a part for the SB, and not sure if they are available, post it there, and someone will get back to you.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:00 AM
Tech Legend

threeEwes, can you post a race report here of what happened, your gearing ( to see if the initial chart I put will work ), etc.

I am going to email Tim at MRC again, he is a pretty cool guy so since it does appear that there is an issue with the axles he will probably send them out to you for free. I already ordered a set just in case, maybe these are the new ones?

DaCookieMonsta: Are the axles you have over in the UK the new ones that don't shear off? If so, any way to tell that they are the new ones?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.