Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy >

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Old 05-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Figured I would start a thread here about this budget buggy.

Word is that its doing really well in europe.

It goes for $199 US. not bad.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

There's a review on the new Academy in the new issue of RC Driver. July 04 issue. Under the "Kyosho 4wd" thread we talk about it more even though it is a tangent for Kyosho's.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Tech Legend

I will have to look and see where I can get a copy of RC Driver.

Maybe direct the guys who talk about the Academy over here so the info is under this thread and not the kyosho one.

I checked with MRC yesterday and they didn't have it in stock and will be getting more in June, they didn't say what part of June however. The person who answered was a more senior lady and I don't think she quite understood what I was asking.

Also, I asked here of any places that she KNEW sold the BUGGY and she said try bruckner hobbies in new york. to me, I figure that meant you did ship some of these to them or something equivalent.

Gave Bruckner a call, and they said they don't carry MRC / Academy vehicles. I may give them another call today to narrow down who actually carries the RC VEHICLES they sell direct.

If this is the best MRC can do however that really sucks. You should at least be able to pop up under a database where you shipped some of the vehicles so at least you can tell me which shops actually CARRY it.

So, how is the performance of the vehicle?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know the performance because I don't have one, but the review was good. My LHS is ordering a few, so contact your shop and see what they can do to help. Shaft drive is really a good concept. Also since it is being released as a sport model, I'm sure there will be better factory and team additions following. As far as hop ups to take it to the factory level, your guess is as good as mine. That's about the extent of what I know.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Tech Legend

From what I understand, alot of the upgrades that work on the ST4-Pro model will work on the SB-Sport Buggy. I wonder if the graphite chassis will work as well?

When I get the chance today, I will call them again and get a better answer or speak to someone who actually would know.

my LHS has trouble getting things ( still waiting on my Reedy brushes, 4 months now ) so I wouldn't want to mess around too much with that. I like the guys there, but it can be a hassle at times.

Great to hear the review was good. I will have to definitely check it out.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Legend

Just a heads up:

Academy is going to be creating a site specific to academy vehicles ( forum style ) around the world. I believe its going to be www.rcacademy.net . I believe the forum program is the same as some other chat forum as my pass works, but I can't post right now. Its going to be VIP style, I guess like X-Ray? mainly for owners of the vehicles.

Personally I wouldn't mind trying out the sedan and the buggy. Just need someone that the support isn't as inept as what I got.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

I agree. Although making an exclusive forum for Academy owners might limit the needed feedback. Just depends on how Academy does wih it. X-Ray is bigger here and there are way more owners to get feedback from including pros. I think the site should be as big as possible to compare to other 4wd vehicles, that way springs, shocks, etc. can be included from other 4wd buggies. 4WDRC.com is another site, but participation is low so not a lot of usuable feedback. Please continue to post here too. A lot of us have other cars, and like to know what is going on with other models. I guess you'll be one of the first testers. I feel that way with my Yokomo 4wd and that is a lot more common.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Legend

Well, I am an academy owner!

I called MRC and the people were still out there but I didn't take no for an answer and I managed to get the name of some shops that they sent kits to and one of them was old faithful, Ultimate Hobbies!!

I gave them a call, two were in stock. My wife gave me an early father's day present with the purchase of the kit. I tell you right now, the PRICE IS DEAD ON. Forget $199! I got it for $145 SHIPPED!!!!!!

Should be here next week. I don't have an official track to run at yet, but, I will get plenty of bashing time in.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cain-

You've been a busy lad - that's about 4 different forums that I've seen that post
Old 05-20-2004, 05:49 AM
Tech Legend

yeah, I get around

When I feel a vehicle has a chance to be something special, I get excited about it, especially if its a 4wd buggy and the price is right. Maybe I should be a spokesmen for Academy ? Would be cool to get good enough and be a factory driver.

I sent MRC a message to get some feedback on the prices for the variou replacement items. I am looking to get the 2 rear universals and another set of rims. Since I will be bashing I probably will be putting on some bashing tires first on the rims so I don't tear up the treads they include.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Wow. A $145 is prettty good. Hope to see your review soon. What kind of shocks come with it? Will other shocks and springs work to make parts more available?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Legend

I compiled some more info here, better than before:

Parts that will work on Academy :

1. B3 Turnbuckle set ( put bigger turnbuckles on camber links )

2. Ball bearings 4 of the 5x10x4mm , 4 of the 10x15x4mm

For a complete kit with full bearings ( other than steering of course ) it comes to about $155 for me. a good place for the bearings is www.rcboyz.com . I got some teflon and rubber sealed bearings for under $10 bucks for the 8 bearings.

I also picked up some good basher tires, proline Dirt hawgs front and rear. Should give me good rough stuff traction and road handling. Save the kit tires for racing.

Honestly, if you can find the kit, the investment is so minimal I would recommend getting it.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am also intrigued by this buggy, I saw it advertised on rcuniverse.com and i think it definitely has some potential.

i'll be interested by your results Cain.

Jim
Old 05-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Tech Legend

Hey guys.

it should be in next week sometime. Just have to figure out what I want to do with my electronics, I got a bunch of stuff coming in from other purchases, but I am wondering if I will run my high end stuff on my buggy or keep that in my BMI TC3.

This vehicle will go bashing first, there is an offroad track near the on-road one I race at so I may stop up there and chuck it around for a bit, its nothing fancy, more of a really long oval that anything else but I can at least get the feel of it on dirt though the tires will be less than idea.

As far as track style handling, I may bring it to the indoor stadium truck racing on carpet and check it out there as well.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Tech Legend

If you know of anything in particular you would like to know of me to test, I will see what I can do within reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.