Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Offroad Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 02:39 AM
Tech Elite

So I'll get the MBX5 SE then...........

OR the Hyper 7 Pro Team UK....(Same as the USA PCR Pro?)

I'm hopefully getting my new radio this week - a brand new Futaba 3VC. Hmmmmm. Damn they're nice.

I tried racing with a steering wheel radio for at a couple of meetings to see if I could get on with one. I figured that if I could, I would have more options available when chossing a new one. Unfortunately I just couldn't get comfortable with it - the throttle trigger was actually quite easy to get to grips, quite intuitive. But the feel of the steering just didn't feel right no matter what I did. I kept under applying steering or over applying when I tried to compensate. Adjusting the rates helped a bit but I was still well below par.

The 3vc stick radio is what I subsequently opted for. Does anyone here use one that might teach me how to use it properly?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nah only gays use stick radios. haha just pissin.
I run a 3pk. Some of the euro boys will run the sticks, doubt you'll have much luck asking here though. I hear the 3vc is wicked though... to me it looks like a 3PJ-gone-stick - so learning to use it will be the same as the 3PJS/FS

had a bad raceday this weekend too, stripped the plastic gear on my steering 9451. Somehow I don't think upgrading to a 9350 will cure that problem? I had my saver done up half way, guess I need to loosen it up for next time.

Now to find that damn gear in this damn country.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
Nah only gays use stick radios......
I doubt you'll ever live that one down - you nutter!!
I shan't bother holding my breath waiting for 'stick' advice here then

I suppose I'll just have to read the book that comes with the 3vc from cover to cover. I'll check any stuff on 3pjs etc as well. Cheers!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

UDi I am not trying to start anything but without owning a K3 you simply do not know the differences. Their are several major differences that you seem to leave out. The K2 and K3 are different in several aspects, enough to be worthy of a new name tag. If you ever build a K3 you will see what I am talking about if you simply open your eye's.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive decided to get a K3 i just wouldnt feel comfortable knowing i didnt buy the newest and best

i know its not a huge difference but there is a difference and i want the best

i dont wanna get a K2 then always wonder what if i had got a K3

its a physcological thing

plus alot of guys told me to get a K2 but then all of them are K2 drivers nobody's said to me i got a K3 and didnt like it as good as my K2
Old 06-28-2004, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you don't feel comfortable buying anything but the newest and best...why are you buying a K3 so soon before Kyosho releases the MP777???
Old 06-28-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

good question

i am selling all my stuff on ebay and need a new buggy before our next big race july 10th

the plan is to scale back my r/c collection and concentrate on only 1 form of r/c racing

doing that should allow me to get a new buggy each year

ive already had a mbx5 and now i will have had a K3

next spring when its time for a new buggy i will decide which i liked better and get mbx5 prospec or mp777

at this point i would have to wait untill august for a mp777 and at which time it was available the price is $850 (at tower) and thats awfully steep when i dont even know if i will like it
Old 06-28-2004, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by KINGZJ
UDi I am not trying to start anything but without owning a K3 you simply do not know the differences. Their are several major differences that you seem to leave out. The K2 and K3 are different in several aspects, enough to be worthy of a new name tag. If you ever build a K3 you will see what I am talking about if you simply open your eye's.
Hehehe, oh BTW UDi I'm not starting anything, but you're blind as a bat!!

You guys

Clearly the K3 has numerous changes, I reckon UDi was just saying that buck for buck, you'ld end up with a great deal with the K2 so long as you don't mind living without the K3's revisions. He wasn't saying the K2 is better.

Driving both cars is the best way to decide which one to go for - building both, however, that would be quite difficult to do without actually owning both types! As it turns out, I think we have a winner now anyway - PTP is going for a K3.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

yep ive decided on K3

i just hope my kit doesnt have the rear universal problem
Old 06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by PTP Racing

i dont wanna get a K2 then always wonder what if i had got a K3

its a physcological thing
good luck with it. I might just get the K3 for the same reason.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

gotta go back on what i just said i found a deal on a K2 i couldnt refuse
Old 06-29-2004, 12:28 AM
Tech Addict

Nope I havent owned a K3 but I have messed around with a few guys ones at the track, they dont seem THAT much different. We're not talking K1-K2 sorta differences here, just some minor updates I still say.

Anyway i'm not the one to argue, just get the one that fits your bill, I cant imagine anyone not being happy with either.

Back to servo talk guys, I killed the plastic gear on my steering 9451, and later on I decided to be a f*cktard and try pulling the whole thing apart, and took the back off the coreless motor, im pretty sure i screwed something up.

So i'm just wondering, what should I get next? I can pick up another used 9451 for not to steep a pricetag, or I can order a 9350. I got a gut feeling the 9350 won't be any better than the 9451 in terms of plastic gear strippability....

It seems a bitch in this country to get the plastic gear for ANY of these damn metal geared servos, so it'd be nice to have one thats harder to strip. GRR

Its the 9350 or the KO 2344, or any other digital servo. JR? Someone said they didn't last long though. Jesus I hate servos!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Buggy field is getting more Hardware

Lots of new stuff coming out this year (or aleady out).

Mugen MBX 5
SWK Mayhem
X-Ray XB8
Kyosho 777

Since I'm in still in search of one, I think I'm going to wait til they all come out. What do you guys think will be the Ultimate Killer Rig? 777?
Old 06-29-2004, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
Nope I havent owned a K3 but I have messed around with a few guys ones at the track, they dont seem THAT much different. We're not talking K1-K2 sorta differences here, just some minor updates I still say.

Anyway i'm not the one to argue, just get the one that fits your bill, I cant imagine anyone not being happy with either.

Back to servo talk guys, I killed the plastic gear on my steering 9451, and later on I decided to be a f*cktard and try pulling the whole thing apart, and took the back off the coreless motor, im pretty sure i screwed something up.

So i'm just wondering, what should I get next? I can pick up another used 9451 for not to steep a pricetag, or I can order a 9350. I got a gut feeling the 9350 won't be any better than the 9451 in terms of plastic gear strippability....

It seems a bitch in this country to get the plastic gear for ANY of these damn metal geared servos, so it'd be nice to have one thats harder to strip. GRR

Its the 9350 or the KO 2344, or any other digital servo. JR? Someone said they didn't last long though. Jesus I hate servos!!!
Some people never have any luck with them. I on the other hand have rarely had problems. I've still got acoms servos floating around in my son's cars from the 80's I obviously have servo voodoo

One of My hitec digital 5945's is still doing crazy stuff in a highly modified Savage SS. The steering has been modified too, with a much firmer servo saver, even so the 5945 hauls those Massive tyres around like they're not even there. No stripping, no blown amps or anything. All the while, servo's have been breaking left right and centre at my club - mainly analogue types Futaba and Hitec. Personally I reckon the triple is taking it's toll...........

Looks like you'll have to import some spare gear-sets with your next servo - just incase.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:29 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah man im lost. Hitec seem to be the only company actually developing something useful geartrain wise - the hitec "plastic" gear has the small gear part of it in metal with only the main gear in plastic, as far as I know all the other brands have the whole gear in plastic. And also they have those new 100% delrin (or whatever it is) geartrains which look promising too.

Anyway KINGJZ - can I buy the plastic gear alone for the 9350? I'm really pissed off that (or if) Futaba include plastic "slave" gears and then expect you to buy the whole metal gearset which usually cost as much as the servo, to get another measly slave gear. WTF??

KO sell the plastic gears for theirs seperately and so does JR so im debating with myself whether its worth sticking with the old F here.

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 06-29-2004 at 04:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.