Wiki Posts
Search

Team Durango DNX408 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
Any wurd on how any of the Durangos are doing in Thailand?
Looking at the results from the first round it seems that Ryan was on a top 10 run and did not finish, his avg would have been top 5 or so. I haven't heard what happened but it seems that Ryan and the Durango are going very well.

Go Ryan!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just read on redrc that he didnt finish Q1 and didnt even get to start Q2 both due to electrical problems. i hope he works it out b/c at of all the cars and drivers i have been really looking foward to watching him and the dnx-408 Hopefully this set-back doesnt get to his morale b/c i think he could do very well in the next round
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrozilla
i just read on redrc that he didnt finish Q1 and didnt even get to start Q2 both due to electrical problems.
"Electrical problems?" I hope that doesn't mean what we think it means...
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by captain america
"Electrical problems?" I hope that doesn't mean what we think it means...
I was thinking the same thing
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one-eight
I was thinking the same thing
Curious as to what you guys are thinking?

His car looked absolutely great when I was watching it for the part of the qual he was out there driving . Car looked really good
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston

His car looked absolutely great when I was watching it for the part of the qual he was out there driving . Car looked really good
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was thinking (throttle) servo issues, since we've seen "electrical problems" with a certain other car that up until recently had a similar throttle servo layout. Know what I mean?

Ryan's skills are not in question, neither is the general handling of the 408, but we all know that when awe-inspiring driving/handling butts heads with mechanical gremlins, the gremlins always win.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by houston
Been following the Serpent thread?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one-eight
Been following the Serpent thread?
seems like a bad idea to get the servo that close

yes i have been aware of the serpent issue butu did not know that the d car followed suit = bad idea
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm not sold on the heat issue being the reason for these failures honestly. Serpent or 408.

Not to get into an engineering debate here but, there just isn't that much thermal transfer available. We're talking a delta T of what, 100*F maybe surface to surface??? Couple that with it's location (really low on the chassis) and it's physical proximity, I just don't see that much heat being transfered into the servo.

It's not like it's a conduction issue where it's in direct contact. We're talking convection from an inch away. Air isn't a good conductor so there shouldn't be that much heat getting to the servo. I can't believe a servo wouldn't be able to handle surface temps of 120-130*F (I believe I had heard surface temp verification of 120's)? Put your hand an inch from the motor and see how little heat actually gets to you. It's not that significant.

I wonder if it has more to do with chassis flex and or shock on the servo based on it's mounting orientation. Being mostly surface mount construction (PCB fab), the shock/load applied 90* to the board maybe problematic????

Just talking out loud. I know it "appears" to be prevalant on both cars but I wonder if it's layout related more than anything....????
Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

This horse is beaten fully to death^^^ Serpent had servo problems! Point blank-they addressed it-done!

Me and Captain America obviously had the same thought as Gerd was involved in the design of both. I dont think the servo is that close in the Durango is it? Just same designer sparked a gut scare-thats all! Nothing has been proven, no rumors started!!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

You put your hand on a buggy chassis an inch away from the motor mount screws and you won't be leaving it there long my friend and will far exceed 120. Chassis' and mounts are designed to be heat sinks to some degree. Also the servo's are fractions off the chassis not an inch away. Just sayin'
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by itbvolks

I wonder if it has more to do with chassis flex and or shock on the servo based on it's mounting orientation. Being mostly surface mount construction (PCB fab), the shock/load applied 90* to the board maybe problematic????
This is my guesstimation as well. The throttle servos with the original 8IGHT were failing because of vibration/shock, and that seems to be what was causing similar issues with the Serpent. Both of those cars had their throttle servos mounted further aft than other buggies, which is the part of the car that takes the most beating.

If you doubt this, go for a ride on a bumpy road in the front passenger seat, then go down that same stretch of road, but sitting in the back seat. Now do it at ten times the speed and that's what your servo has to endure for a whole hour

On a more serious note, I hope I'm dead wrong and Ryan bounces back.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It's a little overboard to assume that Ryan's electrical issues = blown servo ala Serpent. Considering how long the Durango has been in testing I think someone would have mentioned by now if it had similar problems to the Serpent. Wait and see what the real issues are before assuming it's blowing servos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.