Search
Like Tree2Likes

GM Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Martin Hofer
HUGE MISTAKE!

As I've written before, NEVER EVER use more than 100% on your transmitters! Really never!

BTW, just a general note:

there is no way that turning up the EPA AFTER doing the tx setup to the speedo could give you any more power or brakes

the epa you do the tx setup with will be full throttle and full brakes, and anything above that will only produce errors

Ops. Been told off.

Didn't realise that big endpoints could cause error. But i did know that it wouldn't increase braking or throttle(total) beyond the indicator light colours on the speedo. Thing is the speedo just wouldn't accept a proportional response from the transmitter despite it displaying the lights at the right point and i was operating the throttle steadily jurying set-up; Several times. Also did have a saved transmitter profile in the A.S. software and that was the same when loaded.

Anyway set it back to 100% now and it's ok. Don't know why it wouldn't work first time round but guess i must have entered some other programming mode rather than the factory reset.

Again thanks for the advice
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi there,

I´m will be using my GM120 (gen1 7.20sw) with a 5.5T the new GM Pro motor.
I need a good (and safe) startup setup for the ESC.

I have a Xray T3, so i need also some help for the gearing.

The track (i think that we will be using the full track and the full straight.

This track was the host of 2008 worlds in 10th 200mm

http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/g...Wed-Track1.jpg

http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/g...Wed-Track2.jpg

http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/g...Wed-Track3.jpg
Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Tech Adept

If i wanted to add just a touch more variable dependant timing to the standard mode 9 what would i adjust? I'm looking at two slider bars, one says "Fix timing" and the other "Max timing". What do these change or how are they different?

Also is there anyway to force the controller to stay in sensored mode? I've notice that in a spin or any time the car rolls backwards it seems to fool the controller into going into sensorless mode. Anyone else had this?

Last edited by YZFAndy; 09-01-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

from what I have been told, the only timing advancement that works is by changing 'fixed' timing. Timing 1 and timing 2 are redundant when 'high speed timing' is selected.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

indeed when high speed timing is selected all other timing options, besides fixed and max timing, have no influence anymore. (that includes power curves actually!)
fixed timing sets the power for the race duration
max timing sets the power at the start from the line.

mode9 is already high on fixed timing (25)
you must either have a very big track or a very short FDR
if the temperature of the motor is still okay and more speed is what you are after i would first try a lower FDR.
keep checking that motor temp!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Have a very mixed track. Tight and sprinty infield then a long straight which is why i want to go for short FDR (7.65 13.5T Sp v3.0) but still have it wind up down the straight. People seem to have trouble finding a happy medium at my local club so hoping this controller can beat it.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YZFAndy
Have a very mixed track. Tight and sprinty infield then a long straight which is why i want to go for short FDR (7.65 13.5T Sp v3.0) but still have it wind up down the straight. People seem to have trouble finding a happy medium at my local club so hoping this controller can beat it.
It can beat it.

This speedo is whole different world when it comes to gearing, believe me. It works by using the motor's most efficient range. You can use unbelievably low FDR's and stay cool

Gearing short is exactly the thing you do not want to do with a long straight. You will lose punch and top speed, raise temps and fade at the end of the run. High rpms draw a lot of current just like excessively tall FDR's

But there is an exact point in the gearing where the motor suddenly wakes up and produces a load of torque and high top speed with low temps

13.5 go out at 6.20 - 6.40 mode 9 for 2-3 mins and temp. Std 30 deg motor timing, there is no advantage to advancing the can. If temps good go taller and see how it goes

Fixed timing 25 is about the maximum a std rotor can take before overheating. If you use a strong magnet use less fixed timing

Last edited by hana166; 09-01-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mário Ribeiro
Hi there,

I´m will be using my GM120 (gen1 7.20sw) with a 5.5T the new GM Pro motor.
I need a good (and safe) startup setup for the ESC.

I have a Xray T3, so i need also some help for the gearing.

The track (i think that we will be using the full track and the full straight.

This track was the host of 2008 worlds in 10th 200mm

http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/g...Wed-Track1.jpg

http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/g...Wed-Track2.jpg

http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/g...Wed-Track3.jpg
with 7.2 set the following:

reserved = 81
Switchpoint rpm to 40000
timing 1 and 2: 70
and run sensors with that and you should have amazing topend

Originally Posted by tomracing
indeed when high speed timing is selected all other timing options, besides fixed and max timing, have no influence anymore. (that includes power curves actually!)
fixed timing sets the power for the race duration
max timing sets the power at the start from the line.

mode9 is already high on fixed timing (25)
you must either have a very big track or a very short FDR
if the temperature of the motor is still okay and more speed is what you are after i would first try a lower FDR.
keep checking that motor temp!
correct!

Originally Posted by YZFAndy
7.65??? that'S soooooooo far off

are we taking in or outdoors? outdoors the sp motor likes gearings between 4.0 and 4.8, indoors 5.0 - 5.8

so you are definately undergeared!

what is the motor temp like with you running mode 9?
is the timing on the motor set to middle or to +10?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Martin Hofer
7.65??? that'S soooooooo far off

are we taking in or outdoors? outdoors the sp motor likes gearings between 4.0 and 4.8, indoors 5.0 - 5.8

so you are definately undergeared!

what is the motor temp like with you running mode 9?
is the timing on the motor set to middle or to +10?
Yes indoors on carpet and very high grip. motor temp is 50C max on a warm-up run and race (7/8minute run time) now at 6.38 FDR. Motor timing i've set at 0 on endbell.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

50°C is FAR FAR FAR too cold! no matter you ain't got any power really ...

does 0 to you mean it's turned all the way to the left so least possible timing or does 0 to you mean it's in the middle?

gear harder (as suggested above) and if your timing on the motor is set to least possible turn it up to middle and possibly to full
Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Adept

Timing is set to 0, endbell turn fully anti clock wise.

What temp on the SP suggest i've got the gearing right? I used to run a lrp X12 and that used like to run at 85 but that was on a Spx Stock Spec controlled. What do you think of the X12's would it be a better motor to try with the GM than then speed passion? I was worried it would cook.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Initiate

@Martin

Any suggestion about the gearing for this setup / track ?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

you are far too soft to your motors

the x12 can easily handle 120°C+!!

the sp is easy till around 85°C

so turn up the timing to middle and gear it 5.5, if it still doesn'T reach 85°C turn up the motor timing to full! and leave the gearing

if it still doesn'T reach 85, gear harder
Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

7.0 starting point, possibly something around the 6.5range but I'd start with 7.0
Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Martin, besides the novak ballistic and GM motors, which other motors have the temp sensor built in?

lrp x12?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.