Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Where to start on 1/8 4x4 electric buggy? >

Where to start on 1/8 4x4 electric buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to start on 1/8 4x4 electric buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Where to start on 1/8 4x4 electric buggy?

I'm lookin to get an 1/8 scale 4x4 buggy. I'm not that skilled a driver but am looking to expand my collection. I'm uncertain as to what buggies I should start to look at. I guess I'm looking for something durable, and isn't too fast for me to handle. Need to work on keeping it smooth before I can handle blistering speeds. Price isn't too much a problem, I'd rather get the right fit. I know it's hard to tell which is the right one without knowing my driving style. I'd just like an unbiased list of possibles for me to look at. It seems like each magazine/website/even driver is trying to get me to buy their product. I'd like to sit down and check em out myself and pick one but I'm having a hard time. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How about the Losi 8ight E? I believe the roller version includes a motor and speed controller so all you would need to cough up a radio, 4s battery, and charger and you would be ready to go. Good, reliable, buggy, lots of room to grow, motor and ESC are from a reputable company, and tons of set up sheets for the losi when it comes time to make the thing handle better on the track.

I have a losi 8ight electric version - one with the tekno. i love the way the losi handles and it's very easy to work on.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Let me start off by saying I've run a losi 8ight-e for nearly 3 years and I love it.. and won't be switching. That said, I'm not sure how losi has been over the last few months but prior years everyone I know that had a 8e switched their ESC to a MMM or a Tekin as the losi esc's were burning faster than a camp fire. The MMM is the best bang for your buck iMO it's a great motor esc combo per $... the Tekin rx8 setup is next in line, it maybe a touch better (at a cost) depending on the voltage you want to run but they are both super smooth and very controllable. I've raced and beat many rx8's on the track so they are close enough in performance that it's more about the driver.

The only real buggy designed from the ground up for electric is the hotbodies Ve8 which actually can be had for a lot cheaper than a 8ight and will handle just as well. I think the 8ight is more durable, but with the aluminum skids the ve8 is a pretty sturdy beast. All other major buggies have easy kits to convert from nitro to electric so you can really pick almost any. Tekno makes some of the best conversion, Mike from rc-monster.com has a ton as well as castle creations giving you a lot of choices.

I suppose if I had no spares and had to start over I would actually go w/ the HB Ve8, the only thing you need to watch out for is pack size as you do need to stay to ROAR approved packs (4s lipo). Hyperion G3 5000mAH packs as well as many others are drop in's though and get great run time racing or bashing. 299-60 is pretty nice. (towers-coupon). You need a MMM combo off ebay, your servo(s), radio, and a set of tires and you are up and running.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

I really don't like the VE8 layout or front suspension. The body is ugly.
I prefere the Losi E8 design.

I'd look at, in order:
Xray E808 '10 (when it eventuall comes out or convert the nitro to electric)
Mugen Mbx6 ( needs converted)
Losi E8

If you don't want to convert, the Losi is the way to go. Better battery tray than the other E buggies, will fit larger packs or Zippy/Turnigy packs. Way better motor mount. Allmost as good as Elite Rc's motor mounts for conversion cars.

I'm happy with my Tekin 1900 setup on Turnigy 4s4500 hardcase packs.

Avoid the RC8bE
Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Dont know why someone should avoid the rc8be, I have the rc8e /updated parts and its awesome with that being said the Hyper9e is a sweet looking ride with some new design features.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You'll get as many answers as people you ask this question to. There will always be bias and user/owner preference and/or the ability to only recommend what they've had experience with. The bottom line is that ANY of the current buggies will be fine. All have their strong and weak points, but in the right hands, all can win. The BEST one for you is the one that fits well within your budget, taking into account all support items like batteries, chargers, etc., and has parts support you can accept (be it locally available or if you don't mind online ordering). There are novices running $190 Ofna LX-1es that are competitive with those running $400+ buggies as they're the same skill level.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Cool

Get a Losi....... Be a Leader!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

hrm, I appreciate all the quick responses. Guess this thread is turnin into one of those fastest most expensive 1/8th electric buggy lists again. I'd like to try and keep away from that and ask for say, durable club driver picks. I'm not looking at being the top of the heap....yet. I guess those buggies are up there for a reason and I'm certainly looking into them. I was looking at a few threads after posting last night, and some mentioned caster? Anyone have any experience with one of those? Or any others not mentioned. I always thought ofna and kyosho were great brands in 1/8 buggy back when I first started. Still kinda up in the air.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would look in the for sale section. I found used rc8e last week for $320 shipped on another forum and was able to finish 2nd in a local club race this past Saturday. All I did was charge the included battery, mount the tires and go. The deals are out there if you look. The one I got included a Mamba monster ESC and castle 1800kv motor and a 4cell 5000mah battery. Just the included accessories are worth more than what I paid for everything.

It will only take a few races for whatever you buy new to look just like the used ones anyway.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Look at Caster Fusion 1.5R Pro
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bllski
I would look in the for sale section. I found used rc8e last week for $320 shipped on another forum and was able to finish 2nd in a local club race this past Saturday. All I did was charge the included battery, mount the tires and go. The deals are out there if you look. The one I got included a Mamba monster ESC and castle 1800kv motor and a 4cell 5000mah battery. Just the included accessories are worth more than what I paid for everything.

It will only take a few races for whatever you buy new to look just like the used ones anyway.
Wow congrats man, give ya $320 for yer buggy
Old 05-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tomahawk Sloth
Wow congrats man, give ya $320 for yer buggy
No way, I really like it. I have been racing SCT for a year and always wanted to do 1/8th buggy but the cost of the new ones was so high I never got into it. This worked out well and so far is a lot of fun.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Kinda similar story here, raced a nitro revo a few years back in oklahoma. Used to borrow my friend's buggy on his offracing weeks and had a blast. Think it was a Hyper 7 when they first came out. I just got back into it and I'm racing stock SCT to get back into it here, being they don't race nitro up here much. Still got that itch for the rast response and excellent handling of those 1/8 buggies. I'll watch the for sale threads and just hop on the best quality deal I can find. Now having the patience to keep the wallet in my pocket until then....