R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default EC5 soldering Help

Do I soder the wires to the plugs first or insert the plugs to the plastic housing then solder?

Either way, it's not that easy to solder them into the plugs. Any tips?
vannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)

Solder the wires into a single plug first. Take that and press it into the cap. I use a small phillips screwdriver and push the plug down into the connector untill you here it lock in. It takes some force to get it down into the plug and stay.

I use a a soldering station to solder all my plugs. It is a really handy little system. You can get them at Menards, Lowe's, or a place like that. It is usually in a little yellow box and it is called "helping hands". They are about $5 - $10.
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks Michael.

I managed to do just that - however, I ended up putting male plugs on the smaller grip, and the female plugs on the larger grip. It should have been the other way around, but I'm leaving it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael#81 View Post
Solder the wires into a single plug first. Take that and press it into the cap. I use a small phillips screwdriver and push the plug down into the connector untill you here it lock in. It takes some force to get it down into the plug and stay.

I use a a soldering station to solder all my plugs. It is a really handy little system. You can get them at Menards, Lowe's, or a place like that. It is usually in a little yellow box and it is called "helping hands". They are about $5 - $10.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannon View Post
Thanks Michael.

I managed to do just that - however, I ended up putting male plugs on the smaller grip, and the female plugs on the larger grip. It should have been the other way around, but I'm leaving it...
You should really fix the polarity. It's all good until you want to use someone else's battery...at which point problems WILL occur, if you've forgotten. If you're careful you can pop them back out with a properly sized punch and mallet, as long as you brace the end the wires enter. This won't work indefinitely, but it does work at least once. Supposedly, boiling the connectors also loosens them up enough, though you don't want to do this on a battery, and you probably don't want to get an ESC that close to a pot of boiling water either.

Another thing, make sure the bullet has cooled completely before you snap it into the housing. If they're too warm they can melt the plastic and cause you other issues.
Ezrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think EC5s are the most easy connectors solder. I get a nice block of wood and drill a shallow hole the size(or slighty smaller) of the connector. This will hold the connector while soldering. Follow these steps:

1. Tin the wire.
2. Tin the inside of the connector.
3. While still holding the iron on the connector from step #2, insert the wire into the solder puddle. Hold for 6 seconds or so till the solder on the wire goes wet.
4. Put the heat shrink on.
5. Push the connector into the blue housing.

Of course, a good quality soldering station is a must. I use a Team Checkpoint station, which is the same as a Hakko 936. The best $80 bucks I ever spent. Also check this tread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ef-lesson.html

Use everything he uses, and soldering becomes very easy.
reracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks Michael.

Hold the connectors in boiling water for 30 seconds and pop them apart. Make sure to cut them off the wires first.

Trust me, you don't want to leave the connectors in the wrong housings.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reracer View Post
I think EC5s are the most easy connectors solder. I get a nice block of wood and drill a shallow hole the size(or slighty smaller) of the connector. This will hold the connector while soldering. Follow these steps:

1. Tin the wire.
2. Tin the inside of the connector.
3. While still holding the iron on the connector from step #2, insert the wire into the solder puddle. Hold for 6 seconds or so till the solder on the wire goes wet.
4. Put the heat shrink on.
5. Push the connector into the blue housing.

Of course, a good quality soldering station is a must. I use a Team Checkpoint station, which is the same as a Hakko 936. The best $80 bucks I ever spent. Also check this tread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ef-lesson.html

Use everything he uses, and soldering becomes very easy.
Heat shrink? With EC5???
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Now that I've completed them, they are the easier to do than deans. (which is what I am replacing)

I'll see If I can pop them out and switch up the housings. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Quote:
Hold the connectors in boiling water for 30 seconds and pop them apart. Make sure to cut them off the wires first.

Trust me, you don't want to leave the connectors in the wrong housings.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrem View Post
Heat shrink? With EC5???
i know, i know, totally anal. i just like a little extra protection for the end of the insulation. the shrink tube also tightens the insulation to the wire, keeping it from riding up and exposing the wire.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
i know, i know, totally anal. i just like a little extra protection for the end of the insulation. the shrink tube also tightens the insulation to the wire, keeping it from riding up and exposing the wire.
I guess it's not a terrible idea, helps distribute the force when separating plugs too, protecting the solder joint.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I ran for the first time with the EC5 connectors and I must have done a poor job because the one wire connector on the mamba ESC came off after 2 minutes of runtime. A bit disappointed since my brother came over with his SC8 to bash.

I have switched it all back to Deans, though a harder solder job, feels a bit more solid to me.

I really could have liked the EC5, I also had a hard time putting on 8AWG on the posts. Oh well, gave it a shot.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
I ran for the first time with the EC5 connectors and I must have done a poor job because the one wire connector on the mamba ESC came off after 2 minutes of runtime. A bit disappointed since my brother came over with his SC8 to bash.

I have switched it all back to Deans, though a harder solder job, feels a bit more solid to me.

I really could have liked the EC5, I also had a hard time putting on 8AWG on the posts. Oh well, gave it a shot.
You have to make sure to put enough solder in the cup before you insert the wire. You want it good and molten when you stick the wire in, and make sure you hold it as still as possible while the solder cools.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael#81 View Post

+1 Michael! do one then snap in, then do the other. this way you dont risk shorting your lipo. i also use a small screwdriver to push bulllet into housing.

everything is exactly what i do. except i use a small propane torch. it takes seconds.

EC5's are the best connectors imo and i have used them for years without issues.

if you look on the plastic part of the connector it says either "BATT" for battery or "DEV" for device so you know which ones to use. always use female plugs for batteries and then put on the corresponding housing and you are good to go!
blueryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
Tech Regular

I don't have a decent soldering iron which is part of the problem too. What is a good wattage to consider? 40w? More?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrem View Post
You have to make sure to put enough solder in the cup before you insert the wire. You want it good and molten when you stick the wire in, and make sure you hold it as still as possible while the solder cools.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't have a decent soldering iron which is part of the problem too. What is a good wattage to consider? 40w? More?

I wouldn't get anything less tnhan 60watts. My last iron was an 80 watt Weller, but I retired that after buying my Hakko 936 station.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote