Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Nitro Fuel

What is the maximum percent of nitro fuel out there? I.E.. 50% nitro, 60%, etc... I need to know who the manufacturer is as well. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fitz101
What is the maximum percent of nitro fuel out there? I.E.. 50% nitro, 60%, etc... I need to know who the manufacturer is as well. Thanks.
The more nitro the more your piston will be lubed. That means more rpm and more motor wear. Now this from what I heard.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Are you going to use it in a car or truck motor? If you are can you say kaboom! It's not recomended in a car or tuck.

Last edited by Chill_Will; 02-27-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by porkey
The more nitro the more your piston will be lubed. That means more rpm and more motor wear. Now this from what I heard.
Chops, what the heck are you talking about? The more nitro doesn't mean more lube.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

???!!!!1

All kinds off crazy here! Let me get on my rocking horse.

50% Nitro is used in nitro boats. You have to drop the compression of the engine and time the intake and exhaust ports real close to make it work. Racing only.

Not a good idea, It'll kill your engine. Rc cars are 30% tops.

Airplanes use very low nitro %. 0-15. Those engines are relatively detuned compared to race engines. Thats why they last forever. If you need more power you build the plane for a larger engine, not stuff more nitro in. Even if the prop keeps the engine cool you still need the proper mixture, plug, and port timing. Sport planes use low nitro. Never seen a racing planes engine, because they are lame.

Nitro is mostly just an oxidizer. It deosn't lube anything.

DO NOT USE 50% IN YOUR CAR!1!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porkey
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Odonnell makes 50 and 60% boat fuel or you can find out who your local VP dealer is and they sell 100% nitro for drag racing but I think you can only order 22 & 1/2 or 55 gallons
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Is anyone actually going to answer his question?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by karnao
Is anyone actually going to answer his question?
It has been answered. Nitro is available up to 100%. Nitro has nothing to do with lubing anything. In fact, nitro is the worst thing in your motor. Its corrosive, it attracts moisture to the steel parts. The more percentage you have the bigger explosion, so you have to lower compression to prevent detonation and knocking.

The big advantage of nitromethane is that you can get a lot more power from each explosion inside the engine. Pound for pound, nitromethane is less energetic than gasoline, but you can burn a lot more nitromethane in a cylinder. The net result is more power per stroke. You typically need about 15 pounds of air to burn 1 pound of gasoline, whereas you need only 1.7 pounds of air to burn 1 pound of nitromethane. This means that, compared to gasoline, you can pump about 8 times more nitromethane into a cylinder of a given volume and still get complete combustion. (web searched)

R/Cs are two stroke nitro burners, there is oil mixed in the fuel you buy. However, the nitro is still there with its properties so it attracts some moisture and its corrosiveness eats on your bearings and parts, so that is why its a good idea to ARO your engine after each days use. The oil doesn't necessarily STICK to the parts in there, it just lubes during use.

My .2cents.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Airplane racing engines used to run on 60-70% nitro fuel. They no longer do this but still make insane power on 15% or 0% FAI. If you think airplane racing engines are lame go check out a good Q40 or FAI race. The engines are .40cid and move the planes close to 200mph on a 1/4mile triangle course.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys. My question has been answered. I suppose I should have stated my purpose. Long story short, got some lower percent nitro fuel, want to mix with some higher to make it around 20%. Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by motoclay
It has been answered. Nitro is available up to 100%. Nitro has nothing to do with lubing anything. In fact, nitro is the worst thing in your motor. Its corrosive, it attracts moisture to the steel parts. The more percentage you have the bigger explosion, so you have to lower compression to prevent detonation and knocking.

The big advantage of nitromethane is that you can get a lot more power from each explosion inside the engine. Pound for pound, nitromethane is less energetic than gasoline, but you can burn a lot more nitromethane in a cylinder. The net result is more power per stroke. You typically need about 15 pounds of air to burn 1 pound of gasoline, whereas you need only 1.7 pounds of air to burn 1 pound of nitromethane. This means that, compared to gasoline, you can pump about 8 times more nitromethane into a cylinder of a given volume and still get complete combustion. (web searched)

R/Cs are two stroke nitro burners, there is oil mixed in the fuel you buy. However, the nitro is still there with its properties so it attracts some moisture and its corrosiveness eats on your bearings and parts, so that is why its a good idea to ARO your engine after each days use. The oil doesn't necessarily STICK to the parts in there, it just lubes during use.

My .2cents.

It's not a explosion inside the engine it's controlled burn because it's under pressure. It has a flame front that burns across the combustion chamber. It doesn't light off like a stick of TNT "BOOM"
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. My question has been answered. I suppose I should have stated my purpose. Long story short, got some lower percent nitro fuel, want to mix with some higher to make it around 20%. Thanks again.
BE CAREFUL!
You cannot mix every fuel 'cause there are synthetic oils that should never be mixed with others! You could seriously damage your engine. I'm not saying you WILL, but you COULD.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott51
Airplane racing engines used to run on 60-70% nitro fuel. They no longer do this but still make insane power on 15% or 0% FAI. If you think airplane racing engines are lame go check out a good Q40 or FAI race. The engines are .40cid and move the planes close to 200mph on a 1/4mile triangle course.
Just not my cup o tea. I get a kick out of the 50cc gas engines. Especially a Yak 54 that can hover.

As someone else mentioned nitro engines use less air per pound of fuel than gas. Thats cause the nitro is , more or less, liquid air. Its the oxidizer for the fuel. Less air is needed.

What exactly do you want to do with 50% fuel anyway.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

In Europe they run with little to no nitro due to EPA requirements. They run on straight methanol and oil.