Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Phi

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:06 PM
BDK
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, my dad and I have started racing a few months ago, and we're ready to step up to a competative car. Does anyone here have any pro's and con's to till me about the car listed in this thread? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by smoke81
By what Blackstock said in the Nats thread I don't think they are there. (I know he's notthere for sure).
I was at the Nats and none of the team corally guys were there
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BDK
Hey guys, my dad and I have started racing a few months ago, and we're ready to step up to a competative car. Does anyone here have any pro's and con's to till me about the car listed in this thread? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Hey buddy, you are in the right thread. The Phi has the most known setups which will really get you going as well as tons of parts support. I'd kick my 2 cents in on this one and tell you this is the right chassis to get. Go to corallyusa.com and check out the setup sheet section, that should give you a pretty good idea.

the Pro: parts, setups, speed, reliability.
the Con: it's not dipped in gold like it should be.

good luck!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just got back from the Nationals, and I think there were only 3 or 4 Phi's at the event in total. In the 10.5 Super Stock class, I was the only Corally in the A-Main.
In stock I know Xavier made the "A" with his Phi, but I think he was the only one in the main.
A lot of different chassis's at the race. I think X-Ray had the most attended chassis, and had the team guys there. Tamiya was well represented, as was Associated and Schumacher. TOP, Serpent, and Magic each had a couple cars. I was really shocked at the lack of Corally cars. For being a non-sponsored privateer, it would have been nice to have some team guys there to bounce ideas off of on setup.
Back to work....
Old 06-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thehobbyshop
I just got back from the Nationals, and I think there were only 3 or 4 Phi's at the event in total. In the 10.5 Super Stock class, I was the only Corally in the A-Main.
In stock I know Xavier made the "A" with his Phi, but I think he was the only one in the main.
A lot of different chassis's at the race. I think X-Ray had the most attended chassis, and had the team guys there. Tamiya was well represented, as was Associated and Schumacher. TOP, Serpent, and Magic each had a couple cars. I was really shocked at the lack of Corally cars. For being a non-sponsored privateer, it would have been nice to have some team guys there to bounce ideas off of on setup.
Back to work....
Well, thats why I'm glad I can get online and pm people like Brian McGreevy or Josh H. No doubt if I was at an event that the Corally team couldn't make, I'd be hunting down a Starbucks and someone elses laptop...

Try pm'ing and see the response you get. These guys are wicked helpful and have answered ALL my many many many questions. However, since you made the A-main, it doesn't look like it would have made much of a difference. Fast car is a fast car, and the Phi is one fast car.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thehobbyshop
Back to work....
Craig is a Corally factory driver, I know he would have been more then happy to give you advise. He's a great guy.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Craig sat one isle over from us, and he is a great guy. I just set up my car differently for stock and for 10.5, and there was nobody there that I could compare setups with from Corally. I sat next to the X-Ray team, and they continually compared setups, and shared feedback on adjustments and tire sauce. I just think that with it being a Nationals, it would have been nice for Corally to be there not only to support guys like me, but also guys like Craig. I understand they're focusing on the IIC, and that's a business decision. With travel being so expensive, it's logical that they can't be at every race. It kind of runs in the vein of there being a lot of talk around the pit area that the ROAR Nationals have lost a little bit of their luster as compared to non-roar events like the IIC.
I've talked to the Corally guys a lot, and they are incredibly helpful. But there's nothing like being at the track as things change to get on-site instant help. This experience won't change my opinions of Corally, and actually help me re-inforce the idea that the Phi is one of the best platforms out there. I probably didn't have the best setup in the world, but still made the "A". I don't think I would have been as fast with another chassis.
Randy K
Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I know Craig and myself worked really hard on set-ups. After each run talked over what we had changed or what we wanted to change.

We went all over the place on set-up and both ended up being pretty close..

The cars were both fast, I just got myself into too deep of a hole with two DNF's on Fri. from stupid things happening. So Sat. for me was a "must finish" a race day from the bottom qual.

Craig and myself both answered any and all questions ask from anyone.

But with just the two of us and the limited practice it was hard for the two of us to try too many things.

I know Craig started with the super short wheelbase and I was on just a "reg" short rear. We both got back to "reg" short for final set-ups. We both tried ALOT of things. trust me..LOL

Last edited by imprsme; 06-23-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm interested in seeing those setups
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

nice call... all 3 or 4
Old 06-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
I'm interested in seeing those setups
Me too. Especially understanding that some ended up with long wheelbase setups. The short wb setups have been working for me on asphalt. Thanks to James Arluck and Korey Harbke.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

I ran my same setup that I used for short wheelbase with the "standard" short stuff outdoors on a bigger track and it worked great. For those that know where I race at... you'd understand why the super short is pretty dialed here at my home track. It;s not very often you have a retarded high traction asphalt track that is as tight or tighter than a typical carpet track LMAO. Not to mention it's really bumpy... throws me for a loop sometimes.

-Korey
Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here's the basics of my setup:
Roll Center F: High, R: High no shims either F or R
Upper Links F: outside high, R: outside low, middle on rear carriers
Toe F: 1 deg neg, R: 2 deg neg
Camber F: 1.5 outside left, 2.0 right, R 2.0
Sway Bars F: 1.3mm, R 1.3mm
Oil F: Stock pistons 35wt, R: Stock Pistons 35wt both Losi Oil
Springs F: 19lb for morning, 22lb for afternoon, R: 17lb
Shock Position F: up 1 hole in, bottom inside, R: up ouside, bottom middle
Caster: started with 4 deg, ended with 3 deg. (not sure 3 deg was better)
Diffs: Spool front, rear smooth
Wheelbase F: short, R: short
Droop F: #4 on Hudy blocks, R: #3 on Hudy bocks both measured at the a-arm rather than the hubs.
Body: Protoform MazdaSpeed 6 (Mazda 6 would have been better in the afternoon, just forgot to switch bodies)
Motor: Novak (bought off the shelf)
ESC: Sphere TC - #5 on punch morning, #4 on punch afternoon, #2 on drag brake
Battery: Orion Carbon 3600 Lipo

This setup was by far better when the track was a little cooler. Once ambient temps hit 90+ and the sun was out, car was a little loose, even though I thought I had made enough adjustments to compensate.

Randy K
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys.. It is a bummer we could not go to the nat's . I was very bummed. it was my first missed nats since the late 80's . but i understand what has to happen in these times. As for help i can only try my best and lurk on here from time to time to help as much as possible. but since i run so little of outdoor rubber it is tougher for me to help.

Sounds like the guys that had PHI's ran pretty good with them , So congrats.

I am not 100% sold on the super short wheel base either..

Also did anyone try some of the ackerman things we ran at the reedy race ?? if so was it better ??

If there are any Questions please do not hesitate to ask. I will try my best. And be patient if i do not get it right away :-) or miss it. Just ask again LOL

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I know Craig started with the Super short WB. But the track was bumpy and he worked away from it.

Mike- I only had the Cyrul ack. ext. and several times wanted to try it, but honestly just ran out of time.

We both started working in one direction and after a lenghty discussion we decided to go back the other way..this was def. the right direction but we had lost one entire day by then.

Then with my freak DNF's on Fri. I pretty much had to go into survival mode on Sat. to try and salvage the weekend from being a total lose.

After I unpack I will post my final set up. Maybe someone can chime in after that with something could have been done differently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.