Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Tech Adept

I'm with the rabid one on this, the Hyper 8.5 is an awesome car, I swapped to the RC8 a little while ago and have been fighting to get that car to work for the last few months....Now I'm going back to the old Hyper. I'll be very surprized if I'm not faster with it than the Associated.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

buy yourself a nanda nrb-3 the only car out of china with quality and racing geometry even the rtr is a race car out of the box
Old 12-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, I'd like to see one at my next race. I've not really seen one run yet. I'd also like to finagle some trigger time on it if the owner is willing.

I for one dig designs that not everyone and their mothers run at the local tracks (I.e. Losi and now AE). I'd really like to wheel a Piktor as well.

I like trying different stuff and seeing where it shines as opposed to the industry 'standards'.

To me, the RC8 is kinda like the Hyper 8 was. A lot of refinements to a standard buggy design with some innovative stuff thrown in. AE has thrown in a few more refinements and lesser innovations in the RC8 (I.e. Braking bits, etc...) and it looks like a promising design direction for the industry. However, I think they made some of the same mistakes that the Hyper 8 design did to a greater degree - lightened up parts to an extent that makes them weak.

But if you have a fresh buggy (New parts) and some spares for a big race, you'll have one of the lightest and quickest out in the market today, outside of the Losi.

You can be too light to finish a race though (Durability). There is a fine line between shaving weight and durability.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

These cars are too expensive, and there's too much preparation work involved to risk running something that isn't durable in my opinion.

I'm sticking with the tried and true cars, personally.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some interesting comments. I have gone with the RC8 for a few reasons. First off Associated have a habit of jumping into a game and dominating it with a design then continuing to do so with refinements. Back in the day i had a goldpan RC10 and it never let me down, and the RC10 in electric... well, you guys probably know better than me, i have only been back into RC after 10 years out. However for the past 6 months i have been working at a track, in a pro shop and burnt more fuel in that time than many do in a year. I have also now raced and driven in the UK and experianced the very cool tracks over here and between the 2 met many pros, heard many opinions and heard many experiances about many cars.

btw - i am not claiming to know it all by a long shot, i am on a massive learning curve to say the least, i am just giving a little background on where my decisions and opinions have been shaped along with my own reasoning. Like any technical game there are a lot of know it alls, a fair amount of actually knowing a lot and people that really know their stuff and have the results to show it.
Personally... i know where my lines are and won't volunteer advice unless i am very sure. I am nexperianced but i have learned a lot and know i still have a huge amount to learn... i cant see ever stopping learning. If i don't know something, i will say so and do what i can to learn or find an answer.

SoOOooo that said... I went for an RC8 with an RB W7 as the powerhouse. The RC W7 i have seen and helped break in a lot of in the UK and it always impresses me. They are solid and deliver a lot of power very smoothly. I was debating the OS Speed... in fact i stood in the shop staring at both of them. I know the OS is faster and has a fat bottom end, i have owned an OS and loved it so i am confident in its quality... however the stage i am at i think smoother delivery and a longer lifetime is right for me at the moment. Price was not an issue so the choice came down to whats going to help and compliment the way i drive. Even though the devil on my shoulder was telling me "Have the stinky fastest thing on the track!" i kind of thought about what my UK sponsor would advise as well as my other mentors and of course mainly myself. RB W7 it is.
I actually already have a Falcon Engine (Same as the Ninja) so i have a crazy bottom end engine if want to have fun and push myself. So the RB as a dedicted race engine makes most sense...

The RC8, i think rabidsquirrel has hit it on the head abut refinement. I am taking a break from building it and man... the brakes are impressively thought out. Easy to get to and the discs themselves lok like a superb piece of thinking. I can't wait to see if they live to my expectations. Reviews are good but there is nothing like tasting yourself. The on-tank fuelguard as well after my Kyosho makes sense as well, it gives that room to get at the brakes and i know along with the split center diff it will make wrenching and adjustment a breeze. Also the clutch arrangement/system... clutches are my bugbear, and check it out... the associated is a breeze to change and adjust on the fly. I have been tinkering for ages rather than gluing tyres...
I have been watching with bemusement since the RC8 came out, spoken to factory drivers and sportsman alike to make a call for myself on wether to wait or get something else based on that. I have also seen out of the box Rc8's take some real punishment and drive away. I have weighed the pros and cons on carbon fibre towers and i am going to roll with them, AE looks like it's made sure they are strong enough and i have yet to see one break. The plastic top plate... i am assured in a few quarters that is not a problem area anymore. I am aware that cars break no matter how tough they are if you smack them hard enough in the right place at the right angle. I broke my Kyosh many times and can't blame the car - i know it is one tough piece of kit.
I am not daft though, i have a spare top plate amongst my initial "Most likely to get broken package" - that's not based on expecting the RC8 to be weak, it's just the common sense of any vehicle of course

I have driven just abut everything now, except maybe Jammin. It's impossible to get a real taste of a car set up for someone else. You can get a flavour - i love Losi's in the air, Hypers ability to get the power down on smoother tracks, and the RC8's penchant for handling the rough stuff. I know the only way to get to know the RC8 and figure if it's the right car for me beyond instinct and resoning based on my style of driving and skill level i am at is by driving it for a while and gettig to know it thuroughly as i did my Kyosho. The Kyosho is a great car and in the right hands it will still beat anything. Maybe i will come back to it, i don't know - a WC with big bores would be an interesting ride for sure. Right now i want to try a light car that has been well thought out, most of my friends drive Losi 8 so RC8 it is.

Time will tell if i will love the car, but truth be told the general quality of whats out there i think it's always driver ability, maintanance, preperation and set up that will will win races and keep a car reliable and inspire trust in it.

Little footnote on the Hyper 8.5 - a friend and customer in the UK coming back into racing from touring car we have been supporting and helping back into racing, broke 2 front shock towers in seven days in exactly the same place from different kinds of crashes, neither that big.
I know they are strong cars, you know they are strong cars, but it happens... those are quality chunks of metal and machining as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Ian,

Couldn't agree with your comments more if I wrote them myself!

Practically any car can be a contender these days. There are designs that are more suitable for new drivers or drivers of lesser skill levels (Higher abuse thresholds, easier to drive, less tempermental, etc...). There's a time and place for every design out on the market, the key is figuring out which design is 'right' for you!

I think it is also important to note that drivers evolve over time - I.e. they get 'better' at driving and setting up the cars. This means that designs that didn't work for them early on may work for them now or in the future. In this case, Losi would be a good example as it favours a finesse driver that has a decent amount of racing experience. Some novices have had problems with this car... In some cases, drivers skills have evolved to a level that some designs would actually 'hinder' their performance. I hope to evolve to this level some day! :wink

Me, I tend to favor the underdog, and/or try to discover good competitive products before the masses do. That's just how I'm built, I guess...

btw - i am not claiming to know it all by a long shot, i am on a massive learning curve to say the least, i am just giving a little background on where my decisions and opinions have been shaped along with my own reasoning. Like any technical game there are a lot of know it alls, a fair amount of actually knowing a lot and people that really know their stuff and have the results to show it.
Personally... i know where my lines are and won't volunteer advice unless i am very sure. I am nexperianced but i have learned a lot and know i still have a huge amount to learn... i cant see ever stopping learning. If i don't know something, i will say so and do what i can to learn or find an answer.
What Ian said above applies to me as well. I'm learning a lot, but I always take the approach that I don't know jack about anything and I need to learn more about a subject via the available channels. Life is a massive learning curve... It shouldn't be viewed any other way. The moment you think you have got something 'figured out' is the precise moment you get 'kick to the head' from mother nature.

I like the design directions and certain elements of both the Losi and the RC8. There was also another new design out of China that had some interesting elements to it. Can't wait to see how that one does in the future. I like it when someone comes out with something extraordinary, different, and COMPETITIVE. I live for those moments in life.

Associated has incorporated some great ideas into RC8 platform. If history is any guide, AE folks will continue to make improvements to the RC8. Their cars tend to have longer 'shelf lives' than others.

Ho Bao seems to be hell bent on refining and improving the Hyper series as well. I'm hoping that they're adopting similar evolutionary refinement processes like Associated, Mugen, Losi, and other companies that seem to be 'here to stay' and 'in it to win'... There are other companies that seem to be on the bubble like Team Majic, OCM/Nanda, CEN, etc... I have high hopes for them as well. Time will tell.

All I know is that is a great time to be an 1/8th Scale Buggy racer!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

We have tested the nrb-3 from nanda for many many many track hours .some people even call it the kyosho 888 that kyosho havent designed as yet .
We have great reports about the car being strong less wear and tear than any other buggy on the market .More steering than any other buggy on the market and very well balanced .
Even the RTR has been developed with racing geometry so even the begginer can mix it with the best of the best on the track .So practically a race car RTR out of the box .
Big Bore shocks will be available soon for the buggy .And the pro car is cheaper in price than any other properly designed race car .

this information is coming from an engineer who knows geometry not a dummy .

well anyway have fun racing guys and a happy new year to you all.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Initiate

My order of preferance would be-
Hyper 8.5 raced the hyper 8 for a year with only one issue (wing mount screws)
OCM The best after sales service (free update packs) and I race with the owner and development crew here in Aust
Nanda Steven Drygalla drives one to great effect and with him on the team can only end in a quality product
XRay XB8
Associated RC8
Mugen
Hong Nor/Jammin X1CR
Losi
Other
Other
Other
Other
Other
Kyosho
Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

This thread is a "text book" example of why you should NEVER listen to advice from hacks on the internet. What a bunch of nut-swinging fan boys...
Old 12-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

the threads are supposed to be opinionated for what different cars people like are would run it did get a little out of hand and its was starting to get better but comments like that are really grown up and you call us nut swinging fan boys.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

At the end of the day most buggies are quality and some are just total rubbish .
but the way i see it it's the after sales service and advice that counts the most, especially spare parts availabilty .

There are alot or re badged cars with nice packaging that are complete garbage and wouldn't go anywhere near them .Then there is your complete copy cars or half copies that have the geometry of an ocean liner.
manufacturers keep on forgetting who is important here and thats the end user .Companies have forgotten about quality and are in this business for a quick dollar which is sad in a way .Buggies these days are made to wear out quickly and that should never have been the case and thats were Nanda has gone different with designing a buggy with less wear and tear and also strong and balanced .I have tried many buggies in my time and nothing compares serioulsy to the nrb-3 for strength ,reliabilty and wear and tear .I have seen Asian manufacturers who buy American and European based companies in r/c who have no clue in material technology who have complete quality issues in the past and in the end give the excellent quality that was produced by the US and Euro companies at the time a bad name.This is were Nanda racing in china is different they are old school with old school phylosophies (if it works dont change it just make it look modern) look at kyosho old technology on the outside and inside but are multiple world champions in on road and off road you can't beat that.

To copy are buggy is easy but to get the materials and the geometry correct is were they all fall over.It's one thing to be a sales company who sub contracts another manufacturer to make a oem product who doesnt have a clue about quality and it's another to be an engineering company with material technology who lives and breaths quality.The engineering company will always come up on top no matter what .

just my two cents worth.

Last edited by COBRARACING; 12-27-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel
Typical because it's true...

The Hyper 8.5 won the Euro World Championship this year as well as podiums numerous other big races around the world... Didn't see an OCM on the podium in most cases...

So if you want a 'Competitive' chassis - Hyper 8.5 is the way to go.

If you just want something cheap, then maybe an OCM is the better choice...

the 8.5 is great if you race on a grass track with 2 jumps it has no chance on a us track
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Cheesecake
Rabid is in the USA and I am in Australia! They work great here!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

but he is bragging about it winning the european champs when has a hyper 8.5 done anything in the states. theres a reason why people dont race them that much in the states
Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

No need to brag...

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=3051

The buggy is capable, regardless of the continent it happens to be on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.