Search

Tamiya Off Road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 02:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

STEALTH owned a SUPERCHAMP??

Geez...I thought I was the only one lolz

That Tamiya preassumption is not true bro. TRF had been trying to compete (or actually competed but never really made it to the A mains) in the Worlds for years. The only true fact to your comment was that they never really put nor designed a well executed car.

Their focus had changed recently after their dream to compete and win World Cup was a mission accomplished by getting the touring title.

Do they have drivers to compete on this year's Worlds? Yes, they do. Especially TRF USA. Jimmy Jacobsen used to run for Team Kyosho back on its heyday. I believed he managed to finished in the top ten at least once. So drivers are not the issue here.

The question is: Does Tamiya have enough time to develop Neo Shot into a Contender? Some rumors suggested that a completely different prototype had been spotted or driven by Japanese TRF drivers before the release of the new car.

I hope the rumors were right...
Old 06-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

I think everyone accepts that Tamiya's resources are the biggest in the industry, and they could win an off-road worlds if they really dedicated themselves to it.

The team that won the Touring worlds was pretty small compared to many others - I think there were only about three TRF drivers at the event, two of whom were in the A, and Surikarn was hardly a household name. I think that victory made Tamiya realise that world championships were acheiveable, hence the increased number of Tamiyas seen at the top level now.

Tamiya were quite serious about off-road in the early 90's, they won the British championship with the Top-Force, and built a belt-drive TRF 4wd prototype. The Dyna-storm was a decent-looking car as well.

Tamiya have just focussed on the core of their business - cars for beginners.

If Tamiya chose to develop off-road contenders, then I'm sure they could do well, and with the money they have, I'm sure they could attract a number of world-class drivers if they showed they were serious about winning - and the Touring win must have shown that they can be.

Lets see what happens at the worlds...
Old 06-05-2003, 02:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Well, whether Tamiya gets things "In-Gear" for Off-Road still remains to be seen? I won't be convinced nor will most serious Off-Road RC drivers because of their recent track record of spewing out crap Off-Road products these last few years. It's good to hope and good to dream but seems like it will be a damn long wait. I call it wishful thinking.

On-Road racing is the rage around the world and if Tamiya's only concern is the bottom line when participating in certain markets, then even qualifying for the Off-Road Worlds will never happen. Go where the money is I guess...... speaking of which....they have a war chest of cash to hire the best drivers and pirate the best designers if they really decided to get serious and take a stand in Off-Road racing. Instead they obviously would rather just sell mass market and below average Off-Road kits for kids or unaware novice RC enthusiasts. Too bad for Tamiya and their faithful supporters.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:44 AM
Tech Adept

Bump...lets keep this topic going!!! How come no one does a Evo3 hybrid 4wd off roader??? I would but don't have enough money for an evo3. It has enclose diff drivetrain unlike the 414m-series. I bet it would fly!!! Or wait a second f201 is about the right length already graff some arms mounts and arms....to bad the motor would probably overheat ....or would it
Old 06-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

hmmm..I think I need to give Tamiya another WC win and see if I can change things. So far, Tamiya has a Worlds caliber driver (Jacobsen) and has not utilitized his talents yet. I came from Tamiya Off-Road background and my first race was an Off-Road one.

Another question, has anybody able to find a link to store in Japan that has already start selling the Neo Shot? I want to get my hands on one and try it.

QUOTE]Originally posted by STEALTH
Well, whether Tamiya gets things "In-Gear" for Off-Road still remains to be seen? I won't be convinced nor will most serious Off-Road RC drivers because of their recent track record of spewing out crap Off-Road products these last few years. It's good to hope and good to dream but seems like it will be a damn long wait. I call it wishful thinking.

On-Road racing is the rage around the world and if Tamiya's only concern is the bottom line when participating in certain markets, then even qualifying for the Off-Road Worlds will never happen. Go where the money is I guess...... speaking of which....they have a war chest of cash to hire the best drivers and pirate the best designers if they really decided to get serious and take a stand in Off-Road racing. Instead they obviously would rather just sell mass market and below average Off-Road kits for kids or unaware novice RC enthusiasts. Too bad for Tamiya and their faithful supporters.
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Hey
I just got a TB-01 Where can I get some hop Ups for it. Also have any of you guys had one and if so, What should I know...I just want to bash around the yard.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys.

Actually, I'm seriously contemplating converting a TB EVO III Surikarn to off-road buggy spec. My only real dilemma at the moment lies with the need to lengthen the wheelbase: my thought was to simply machine my own long suspension arms, but design them to angle outward (front arms sweeping foreward, rear arms sweeping rearward.) Uprights and knuckles would be kit spec, and perhaps Schumacher cat driveshafts.

The advantage of this geometry is that it lengthens the wheelbase without moving the car's mass out from the center, and thus, would provide improved responsiveness in the turn, as well as under heavy braking and acceleration.

The only potential problem I can see with this is that since the front UJ shafts would be angled about 20 degrees foreward with this new geometry, that it might cause them to bind at maximum steering angles.

The other option would be to use more conventional off-road suspension arms, and machine a new, longer chassis(top and bottom plates) and main drive-shaft; a much more costly conversion to say the least.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Well here's what I have done so far on my Evo 1 conversion. I still have to finish making the front shock tower and attach front and rear bumper guards.

Originally posted by azDan
Bump...lets keep this topic going!!! How come no one does a Evo3 hybrid 4wd off roader??? I would but don't have enough money for an evo3. It has enclose diff drivetrain unlike the 414m-series. I bet it would fly!!! Or wait a second f201 is about the right length already graff some arms mounts and arms....to bad the motor would probably overheat ....or would it
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Off Road!!!-evo1_off_road_1.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Here's another pic
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Off Road!!!-evo1_off_road_2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

And another of my Evo 1 off road conversion...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Off Road!!!-evo1_off_road_3.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi AzDan.

Looking good, I must say

Just out of curiosity, do you feel that the slightly-shorter wheelbase of the touring car chassis would hamper the car's handling at all?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think so much...I'm not an expert. I suppose depends on the track. I think schumacher did some stuff with shorter wheel base with the cat 3000. When I converted my losi xxx-sedan it handled like crap until I added alot of kickup in the front like 15-20 degrees, then it started to ride nicely. I think thats the biggest thing. And then making sure there's enough upward and downward suspension movement. I:m willing to bet the Evo 3 conversion would be easier than my evo 1 conversion just because of the drivetrain housing layout. Right now just by watching my suspension movement I think I'll be running into some ackerman type problems. But none the less I can't wait to burn some rubber!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

RainBowTen has the MB-01 Neo Shot making its debut in August for a price of 19800 yen or about $160 US. The body isn't the most snazzy...
Old 07-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

well the first hotshot wasn't the most beautiful body either Maybe they'll come out with Neo Super Shot next?
Old 07-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Default TRF Baja King??

While looking throgh the new rccain the Shizuoka hobby show '03 section it showes a TRF Baja king. It looks very nice with threaded oil filled shocks a large motor heat sink, and thats all i can see, but it might have a chance to shine. Im hoping to be able to pick one up because it just looks great( well to me atleast)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.