Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Something good on MYTSN

Originally posted by InitialD
Mark, that's the guru of all gurus you're talking about Art Carbonell is a former 1/8th scale world champ and he works full time mostly as a chief mechanic for Team Serpent USA. You'll see him in the big races only. Most of the modifications and upgrades that you now see on the 705 are in fact some of the ideas that he and Serpent USA contributed.

Then again, take the article with a pinch of salt. It was done way back when Impulse Streetspec came out. However, most still apply though.

Some of us back in the non HPI forum days were already using 705 parts before 705 came out !! Someone got a list of tips and modifications done on the team's Impulse PRO and passed it on to us. Yes, this is because most of the upgraded parts on the 705 come from the Impact expecially when you look at the pulleys. Parts of the new Centax clutch is mostly R&D done by him.
Yeah, and most people dont know he was the first person to make a 1:8th car with the fully independent suspension we are all using now way back in the early '70s. He started the project when he was known as Team Delta (his own cars) but after a little unsuccessful trying he handed to project to Jake Jacobs to finish. They got it running but it was reliable so the project was scrapped. AMPS then became the first company to mass produce a reliable independant suspension car which they debuted at the 1981 World Championships in Australia
Old 06-04-2003, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

You can use a gripper like what modellor suggested but if not done correctly, you'll scar your 35 mm aluminum Centax flywheel

You can use a flywheel locker made my Ofna. Look for it at your LHS.

The nut to lock the flywheel onto the SG shaft is a 10 mm one. The Hudy glow plug wrench / clutch nut tool (107581) is a perfect one for this job. This is my favourite tool
ok... thnx alot...i have a dubro glow plug wrench and what i used on my old engine's pilot shaft was the 5/16"... could i use this on the serpent one??
Old 06-04-2003, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

and also, could someone give me a link to a serpent battery pack and the chager needed?? or could someone tell me how much they are??
Old 06-04-2003, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

and one last thing... i was looking at the imanual and step 3.3 ... it say to put graphite grease on a part of the ball diff... is that correct?? or does gr stand for something else... cuz it says on the reference page that it's graphite grease..
Old 06-04-2003, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: WOT Glitches?

What radio are you using? How are you isolating the receiver on the car? I've experienced funny things when the receiver battery pack is not soldered good. Check that.

But if you're using a KO gear, I suggest to open up the Tx and check the antenna connection to the Tx to see if the connection is loose... ONLY if everything of the above is tried without success... Good luck.
I am using the KO Mars 2000R. I have a bunch of things to try tonight, I will try your thoughts also.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2003, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

and one last thing... what do i use to screw in the ball ends???
Old 06-04-2003, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally posted by Proficar403
I think that I am going to try the RD LOGICS pipe set.
I am running the RD Logics .15 header and .12 turbo ROAR legal pipe on my car and I can honestly say I can't tell the difference between that and the Nova 2690 set. Though the RD set is much less expensive than the Nova set.

www.RDLogics.com
Old 06-04-2003, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

wait... this is the last thing... ok... i am only getting the kit this weekend... no radio or engine... now i am leaving for whistler, its in british columbia, for the summer on the 21st.... now should i wait to build the kit when i get up there or should i build it here... cuz my only worries are that it might get broken on the way up there... what do you guys think???
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Purchased a charger a couple weeks ago that some might be interested in taking a look at. Can charge reciever battery and transmitter at the same time, rate variable from .2 to 2 amps. Also will charge single cell for glow driver also, which 2 amps will come in handy for.

http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html

PS Anyone live in Canada and have a local hobby store thats supports the Serpent line of cares, looking for spare parts just in case for my 705.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Bodywork and aerodynamics

Without taking into accout the downforce generated by the rear wing, how important is it to have the cat's body work as close to the track sufrace?

I've lowered my bodywork down a couple of millimeters in the hope that I'll get more "ground-effect" downforce - does this work in practice, or does this effect not scale well onto RC cars.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

There is a great article about this on MYTSN. Although pure ground effect is illegal their is a way around it to produce the same effect.

Check this article out to get a more detailed explanation and pictures

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=6977
Old 06-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by supra528
and also, could someone give me a link to a serpent battery pack and the chager needed?? or could someone tell me how much they are??
If u know how to use a soldering tools or know of any friends that could help you, then buy 5 pieces of AAA size NiMh battery (battery capacity between 700mAh ~ 800mAh), get the right connector from any hobby store and do it yourself. Its cheaper that way and you can save almost 1/2 the price on a ready pack.

If not, go to this site below and buy the ready made serpent pack.

www.ashfordhobby.com

Talk to Robert that you need the 705 Rx pack.

I'm using the Integy (Eagle Racing) 16x5 Ver.6 charger to charge all my pack, 800mAh Rx pack, 2100mAh Tx Pack, Glow Igniter, Starter Pack and even my GPS and GPRS Radio !!!
I can set fast charge and slow charge (over night charge), yet give me a save cut-off after fully charge.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

and one last thing... i was looking at the imanual and step 3.3 ... it say to put graphite grease on a part of the ball diff... is that correct?? or does gr stand for something else... cuz it says on the reference page that it's graphite grease..
Not neccessary to get a graphite grease. Any grease will do, like the one from your local automotive store or go to your local hobby store and ask them what they use for differential ball grease, they might help u. I personally like the Ronnie grease, made by Ron Paris Racing, but thats the matter of preference.

Or you don't have to put grease in there, like some will advice you or like some of the Driver i know. But then again, its all in the matter of preference.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

and one last thing... what do i use to screw in the ball ends???
A screwdriver???

Anyway, i don't understand your statement on ball end? Are u refering to Pivot Balls?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

ok... where on ashford hobbies can i find a charger... and could someone give me a link strait to where the charger is sold??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.