Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
I am not sure what you mean by the second question? The positive goes to the positive of cell 1 the neg goes to the neg of cell 2 the blancing port is the junction between the neg of cell one and the pos of cell 2.
MrBlack ... On my NEW #2 pack I got the numbers
Originally Posted by c1 racin
(+side) 4.3484 (-side) 3.9679
So on the + side (+/balacing port) the number is 4.3484 and on the - side (balacing port/-) the number is 3.9679. What difference in the numbers of each side (cell) require them to be balanced?

A difference of
1.****
0.1***
0.01**
0.001*
???

Hope that helps you understand what I'm asking.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Are you guys using 4mm bullets or 3mm bullets? I see Great Planes 4mm and Trinity 3mm R-minus. I'd rather not buy anything Trinity.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sportpak
Are you guys using 4mm bullets or 3mm bullets? I see Great Planes 4mm and Trinity 3mm R-minus. I'd rather not buy anything Trinity.
4mm...Orion offers some as well
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Sorry for not keeping up but is this the balancer you guys are referring to?

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ce...lancing+System

Is there a cable for the 3200 to fit?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

MrBlack ... On my NEW #2 pack I got the numbers So on the + side (+/balacing port) the number is 4.3484 and on the - side (balacing port/-) the number is 3.9679. What difference in the numbers of each side (cell) require them to be balanced?

A difference of
1.****
0.1***
0.01**
0.001*
???
I would like to see them within .03 of each other such as 4.35/4.33 etc.

Anything more and it could mean unbalancing is starting to occur.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Here's a picture of my charging gear that I use to race with. I alternate between two of the Carbon LiPo packs, only one of which is shown. This is all you need to race and be competitive with LiPo. Therein lies one of the main reasons it's so attractive to many of us.
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-charge.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by or8ital
Sorry for not keeping up but is this the balancer you guys are referring to?

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ce...lancing+System

Is there a cable for the 3200 to fit?
Instructions for hooking up the balancer from MrBlack:
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-balancinginstr.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MrBlack
The new pack has a slight missbalance (but I would double check to be sure as a new battery showing this is a new one) if you know somebody with a balancer I would just borrow it and balance it out or you can set the Avionics Charger to charge one cell (3.7v) and charge each up individually at 3.7V , 3200mAh using the same connections you are using to balance them.

If you cannot get the cells to balance out then we will gladly replace the pack for you and submit the one you have to Kokam for analysis.
MrBlack
I used the Team Orion Stability Balancing System to try to balance the pack that I have that's out of balance. The pack now has the following numbers:

+side= 4.3733
-side= 3.9912

You stated that you Orion would replace it for analysis. However, I have added lead weights to the pack to try to help balance the car I was going to race it in. I did this before you posted how to check the balance and before I found the cells unballanced. The following pictures show what I'm talking about.

Does/Will that affect the exchange of the pack? I can/will remove the lead weights if needed. Please instruct me how to return the pack for exchange.

Thank you,
Old 03-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Lord

This is probably going to sound silly, but the biggest hassle with LiPo right now is that they're too light. It's quite a challenge getting cars up to weight with the new packs. If Orion came up with some way to keep the form factor of these packs but have them (optionally) weigh a little closer to that of a "normal" NiMH, it would be completely awesome. I'd pay extra to make them heavier.

I'm going to investigate carbide weights and see if that makes things a little easier.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Or even a way to easily move the weights on the pack. Forward/Back L/R, so you can balance the car a little better.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Lord

The tungsten plates mentioned on this page look promising since they're so thin, but damn they're expensive! How much room is there inside a Platinum case? Maybe I could do a few layers of these inside?

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/speed_supplies.htm
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MrBlack
I used the Team Orion Stability Balancing System to try to balance the pack that I have that's out of balance. The pack now has the following numbers:

+side= 4.3733
-side= 3.9912

You stated that you Orion would replace it for analysis. However, I have added lead weights to the pack to try to help balance the car I was going to race it in. I did this before you posted how to check the balance and before I found the cells unballanced. The following pictures show what I'm talking about.

Does/Will that affect the exchange of the pack? I can/will remove the lead weights if needed. Please instruct me how to return the pack for exchange.

Thank you,
How much weight are you adding to your 3200s and what is the lead thickness? It looks like you have a pretty clean install.

Thanks, Pete
Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pete Thomas
How much weight are you adding to your 3200s and what is the lead thickness? It looks like you have a pretty clean install.

Thanks, Pete
Total the lead tape I've added was only a total of about 3.3 oz. I didn't try to add weight to equal a NiMh pack because I will only be running LiPo's in the car, a Xray T2 '007 EU. The track (Bass Pro Shops Series in Jackson, MS) I run at allows LiPo's as long as the car makes weight (1525g = 54oz)

I have the Prather #3055 on the top of the case. On the sides it's some lead tape I bought from a golf shop for golf clubs, it's very thin and I have about 5 layers of it on each side. On the bottom is some more golf club lead tape that I bought from Academy Sports that I cut to fit between the humps.

Here's some pictures of the packs with a carbon decal over it. Don't want to handle the exposed lead , or have a short. One with a pack in the '007 also.

By the way, thanks for the complement.
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-3.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

I just bought 2 packs of carbon 3200's. The first pack is awsome but the second pack seems to be faulty. I hook it up to my Orion Avionics charger and it says cell overvoltage and won't charge. It was like this out of the package. The staff from the shop I bought it from were at the track and witnessed this happen.

Does anyone know who I can contact as the shop said I have to talk to Orion directly.

Thanks,
John
Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny9s
I just bought 2 packs of carbon 3200's. The first pack is awsome but the second pack seems to be faulty. I hook it up to my Orion Avionics charger and it says cell overvoltage and won't charge. It was like this out of the package. The staff from the shop I bought it from were at the track and witnessed this happen.

Does anyone know who I can contact as the shop said I have to talk to Orion directly.

Thanks,
John
You should all TO USA and speak with Cliff or Traci. They will help you with your problem or tell you how to send the batteryback for exchange.

As far as weight goes, be sure to weigh your left side electronics and ballast your right side to equal the left. My testing shows that an IB4200 pack weighs quite a bit more than most electronics. So you don't have to add as much weight and by adding so much that you equalize the weight of the packs, you will still have an unbalanced car.

So in order, the best way to balance your chassis with LiPo is to:

1. Move your personal transponder to the battery side if is not already there
2. Weigh your left side electronics
3. Weigh your PT and LiPo battery
4. Ballast your battery so that your left and right sides match
5. Ballast your chassis equally so that you meet the minimum car weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.