Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by JBrake
Ray, are you going to make it to the trophy race in Toledo this sunday?
I am afraid not-I have to run our races at my home track. We closed the weekend of the Hobby STop West CRL race to allow our guys to go to Toledo, but we didn't know anythng about this Trophy race so we clsoed the 23rd!!! Had we known-we would have closed the 30th and been open the 23rd. Oh well!!!

RCNitro-thanks again!!! Sorry about all th newbie questions. After a few races-I'll know the car pretty well!!! I Hope!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ray, i hope you don't mind if a fellow Tamiya driver puts you on the spot but I too may make the change to Xray so I'd like your input as a Xray novice. Based on your initial experience with the kit, How would you compare the quality of construction to your EVO 3??? What's your initial thoughts on customer support?? it appears the guy's on this site are happy to help ?? Correct me if I'm wrong but after just flipping through a few pages, it seems Xray folks talk more about setup than how to correct for all those little bugs that you dealt with on the EVO3??? Thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

evoracer-I would say that the workmanship are very, very similar in a good way. Of course the Tamiya kit went together like a dream, but they made some poor material choices in MY mind. The backbone is too soft, as are the diff cases. The bevel gears are also not made from a strong enough material. Its is cool that as soon as I wrote a letter to some Tamiya racers-I read Surikarns car address all of the issues I had on the car. I dont drive like Surikarn-but I think like him!!

To save weight-which was a necessity on the Tamiya EVO2-they left the aluminum bukheads off the EVO3. This has lead to a chassis that is not very torsionally stiff. Add to that soft diff cases which hold the shock towers as well and youve got a chassis that excels on rubber tires and asphalt-but will be no match at a big high traction carpet/foam race.

The suspension systems are great on both cars. Very adjustable. The hingepin blocks on the Tamiya EVo3 are machined too much so they are weak in the middle. They should have stuck with the ugly-but strong 414 hingepin blocks.

I hope this helps. I dont know anything abut the xray yet because I just got it-but it is a jewel to behold!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks !! I'm sure myself and others would appreciate a running update as you build and race your car. It's really helpful to SEE the car through a novice's eye and an expert eye. In this case you're both. Thanks, Dino
Old 03-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

evoracer-I talk a good talk-but I am no expert-but thanks!!!

a legend in my own mind!! hahaha!!! I am putting the electronics in tonight and starting to put a proper carpet set-up on it!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Ray, I've read many of your posts.....I think you qualify in the expert category. Accept the compliment and say thankyou to all the little people !!LOL .
So what was the motivation behind getting the Xray ?? Can you give your views about specific sections of the car that are uniquely Xray?? Any particular comments about the fit and finish ?? How are the instructions?? Thanks, Dino
Old 03-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Evoracer - I just bought an XRAY. I haven't raced it yet but I have to say they should win an award for the instructions alone. The manual is illustrated with full color pictures and has a completely seperate color manual on setup alone. It's beautiful. This car was definitely designed by serious racers for serious racers. I think this is without question the most thoughtout car ever (and I've owned everything from Associated to Yokomo). The fit and finish are excellent. You don't waste a lot of time sanding or dremeling parts. Great job XRAY
Old 03-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DOTMAN
Evoracer - I just bought an XRAY. I haven't raced it yet but I have to say they should win an award for the instructions alone. The manual is illustrated with full color pictures and has a completely seperate color manual on setup alone. It's beautiful. This car was definitely designed by serious racers for serious racers. I think this is without question the most thoughtout car ever (and I've owned everything from Associated to Yokomo). The fit and finish are excellent. You don't waste a lot of time sanding or dremeling parts. Great job XRAY
I'm glad that you like the car Dotman. I don't remember sanding or dremeling parts on my Xray though.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

rcinifinity, I think he meant on other cars and not on the xray
Old 03-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by theisgroup
rcinifinity, I think he meant on other cars and not on the xray
Yea, you are right. I didn't understand what he meant.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default Upper pivot pin holders

ello, what exactly do the upper pivot pin holders do??

thanks

Rob STorey
Old 03-25-2003, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Anybody out there in Xray land care to tell me their own reasons for choosing Xray?? I've had very little exposure to this car but I got very interested after meeting the Xray team and seeing the cars at the Snowbird Nats in Orlando. Also if you could relate your experience to other cars you've had. The xray always seems to be cutting edge but always functional. Not much done just to be pretty. Thats what I see so I'm wondering what you see. Thanks folks.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

just the fit and finish turned me.

I run a tc3 and i just feel that the slop in the car is excessive. the rear toe problem is also a pain.

In retrospect the xray has been well thought out and not something that needed a running fix.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

guys, what springs/oil/piston combos do you run on ashphalt ?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Stock thirty weight oil, three hole in the rear and two up front. Spinrgs are usually blue front and white rear but trying blue at all four this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.