Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long can you run a Nitro Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How long can you run a Nitro Motor

I figure my question is pretty simple. I'd like to know how long you can run a Nitro Motor before you're in danger of destroying it. To clarify, I don't mean how many times can you run it before it's going to die.

The reason I ask is because for the racers appreciation day at the end of the season, we've set up an endurance race and I'd like to make sure I'll be able to run the whole race without screwing over my motor. Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Welcome to the forums Slider! There are many variables that have an effect on an engines lifespan. Generally you can get upto 7 gallons without replacing anything. However, under race conditions it's important to replace the conrod after a gallon of fuel to prevent future damage. The sleeve can be "pinched" or resized to be ran for an additional 3 gallons.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay. Thanks for the info, but I already was aware of those logistics. What I need to know is how long can I run the motor safely before it overheats or destroys itself. 40 minutes? an hour? Anybody?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

umm well hmmmm im not the one to ask but my novarossis last a long time one of them has 3 one hour mains on it but my other motors well they blowed up real good like. mostly tho 2 gal fuel then they start to get get old thats up here in the toronto area we run them to the max very fast and tight racing.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As long as the air filter is clean and you are not overheating it you could run a gallon of fuel through it.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Rookie

That's helpful. We're planning on running a 40 minute endurance race and I'd just like to make sure my motor's going to hold up to the beating. Normally our races are only 4 minutes races and the longest I've ever run the motor is 11 minutes -- which was one tank of fuel.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slider5634
That's helpful. We're planning on running a 40 minute endurance race and I'd just like to make sure my motor's going to hold up to the beating. Normally our races are only 4 minutes races and the longest I've ever run the motor is 11 minutes -- which was one tank of fuel.
11 min on one tank of fuel wow we only get just over 5 min and ya you can go for an hour thats about the time of the batts in the car then they dump.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have run many 30 min mains and some 60 min main with no problems at race speed and temps. how you run your motors and how the car works,clutch set up both motor and two speed,cooling holes,track and amb. temp all play in.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TrickPonYracing
i have run many 30 min mains and some 60 min main with no problems at race speed and temps. how you run your motors and how the car works,clutch set up both motor and two speed,cooling holes,track and amb. temp all play in.
Well, I've got the stock AE motor that came in my TC3 running. I've got it leaned out, but not too much obviously. It's running on a three shoe clutch with a two speed setup for torque -- the track has only one small straight away on it. On a warm day -- about 75f -- it runs about 230. Considering it's fall here and temps will be in the lower 60's I'll bet it'll run slightly cooler.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your engine is within the heat range coupled with clean filter it will last a long time provided the con-rod is periodically replaced and internals cleaned (rust)

My buggy engine, RB S7, lasted me a good 4 gallon with a change of con-rod between gallon but the crank pin isnt hardened and that ended it's life
Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Talking

Did you take the restrictor out of the carb? If not and you choose to remove it you MUST retune the engine. More air needs more fuel which makes more power which will drop your lap times and say good by to 11 min. of run time. If I remember, they still got 6-7 mins of run time with much improved power. Whats up hot dog man!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They run till they dont. There has been I believe 24 hour all night events where people ran there motor for 24 hours. Might have been 12. Doesnt matter a nitro motor will go and go. Just as long as the way you have it tuned doesnt allow it to go higher and higher temp and the amount of time needed doesnt surpass the amount of gas that can be run through it.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 09-22-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I am running with an O.S TZ 5 P for about 1 year without changing anything, qualys and 40 minutes final every 15 days and still run good finishing second places
Old 09-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A club here in Sydney, Australia runs a 1/10 scale Le Mans race once a year. They run the cars non-stop for 2 hours and 24 minutes.

From memory they have never had an engine blow in the 3 years it has been run. (20 cars each year one the track ant the same time)

Their website is www.pdnracing.org.au.

Cheers
The OX
Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Ive ran 8 hour endurance races before. No problem the engines are bullet proof until something lets go. Have fun and no worries just have backups.