Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1174Likes

Team Associated B7 and B7D

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Maybe you seen this but maybe you didn't, but at 1:21 into the video Brent and Matt are talking about the B7.

Clash of Champions B7 discussion with Brent.
Manning, perez62682, RCW and 3 others like this.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Piles
The last point you make here is incorrect. It is actually the other way round.
The B7 will have a 6.5mm width hex and the B7d a 5mm width hex.
This is quite strange because as you say it would be wiser the other way around to maintain a similar intersection between the kpi and the centte line of the tyre. As a result, the intersection of those points between the two cars (assuming the dirt car will use wider wheels and tyres) will result in the scrub radius between the two cars being very different indeed.
Who knows AE may very well have done their homework and found that this is the fastest way around the track for the cars. We shall see.
I am guessing not only are the carpet versions wider to get it to max width, but also to get more scrub radius. Carpet cars seem to benefit from the weight jacking effect a higher scrub radius gives to keep the car turning coming off the corner.
RogerM likes this.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RogerM
The problem with the Xray was two fold. 1) screws went into plastic not metal like the B7 2) the screws were too short and there was no location feature for the D-block so the joint wasn't very strong in shear. I don't see the Schumacher cars ripping the rear end off often, the front end definitely but not the rear :-)
I have seen the d block get taken off on the schueys, but you're correct that it's not a common occurrence.

I hadn't noticed the fact that the screws appear to thread into the rear camber plate. That will definitely be stronger than the Xray setup for sure.
tony6187 likes this.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

This is quite strange because as you say it would be wiser the other way around to maintain a similar intersection between the kpi and the centte line of the tyre. As a result, the intersection of those points between the two cars (assuming the dirt car will use wider wheels and tyres) will result in the scrub radius between the two cars being very different indeed.
Who knows AE may very well have done their homework and found that this is the fastest way around the track for the cars. We shall see.
Originally Posted by Brian L
That is correct. If you look at a dirt tire, the tire bulges over the rim, a carpet tire is almost flush with the rim
Yes, I apologise for this. It has been a VERY very long time since I have seen a dirt tyre in person and forgot they overhang the rim significantly.

There is a benefit of having more scrub radius on carpet as it increases jacking and makes the car more reactive and twitchy, good if the grip is there to support it and your driving style copes with such an aggressive car.

Once I have the car in hand I will take all the measurements needed to calculate exactly what will be best when. Hopefully not too much longer now :-)

Old 01-09-2024, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kraig
Maybe you seen this but maybe you didn't, but at 1:21 into the video Brent and Matt are talking about the B7.

No, first I have seen of that, thanks for sharing :-)
Kraig likes this.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig

thanks for sharing, I didn’t catch this interview when I watched. Hope his info on release is incorrect. Mid February to March would suck. Everything I’ve seen after initial press release say Mid January. Hopefully that is correct
Old 01-09-2024, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnywachter
Maybe the offset has nothing to do with KPI and its just to push the width to the limit of the rules? Maybe more scrub radius is desired in carpet?

My explanation would have been the same as Roger had you not brought this up.
Originally Posted by RC10Nick
My suspicion is it's simply a desire to get the car to max width now that the latest generation of carpet tires are way more narrow than they used to be. The size difference between dirt tires and carpet tires is so drastic nowadays that it doesn't surprise me to see manufacturers beginning to account for those differences in the car's design.
Originally Posted by Brian L
That is correct. If you look at a dirt tire, the tire bulges over the rim, a carpet tire is almost flush with the rim
Originally Posted by Bcollins82
I am guessing not only are the carpet versions wider to get it to max width, but also to get more scrub radius. Carpet cars seem to benefit from the weight jacking effect a higher scrub radius gives to keep the car turning coming off the corner.
Originally Posted by RogerM
Yes, I apologise for this. It has been a VERY very long time since I have seen a dirt tyre in person and forgot they overhang the rim significantly.

There is a benefit of having more scrub radius on carpet as it increases jacking and makes the car more reactive and twitchy, good if the grip is there to support it and your driving style copes with such an aggressive car.

Once I have the car in hand I will take all the measurements needed to calculate exactly what will be best when. Hopefully not too much longer now :-)
Of course there’s this which we’ve all missed.

With three options available in the kit it could be used to minimise, or completely negate scrub radius issue.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm really not a fan of AE in general, but I gotta say this B7 looks pretty cool. I can really appreciate AE going in a more drastic design direction rather than just lightly updating the B6 platform again.

Lots of new ideas are being tried and that's really interesting, can't be a bad thing for the hobby.
andrewcoley and staiguy like this.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warracer
I'm really not a fan of AE in general, but I gotta say this B7 looks pretty cool. I can really appreciate AE going in a more drastic design direction rather than just lightly updating the B6 platform again.

Lots of new ideas are being tried and that's really interesting, can't be a bad thing for the hobby.
Im kinda hoping someone can figure out a belt fed 2wd buggy. Cuz why not
Old 01-09-2024, 07:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by staiguy
Im kinda hoping someone can figure out a belt fed 2wd buggy. Cuz why not
LikeSchumacher did with their Cougar KF?
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Here's a pic I snapped of Kurt Wenger's car from the Clash of Champions this past weekend.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MTY500
Here's a pic I snapped of Kurt Wenger's car from the Clash of Champions this past weekend.
Those tyres are nuts for us uk drivers
Old 01-09-2024, 08:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife
LikeSchumacher did with their Cougar KF?
Playing with a KF2/LD3 hybrid myself

warracer, BuggyFan21 and staiguy like this.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by daz_75
Those tyres are nuts for us uk drivers
My first season racing indoors in UK, my local club chose jconcept smoothies in gold on carpet, worked really well but sourcing was horrible but they lasted all winter.
daz_75 and Flipside6900 like this.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

As competitors follow AE's lead to push the motor forward (Willspeed and Rude Bits were not complete race cars) and minimize polar moment of inertia. They will try to find their "own way" to do the same thing. Schumacher and Serpent (what's up with those guys?) would likely go belt drive there I would think. TLR, Yokomo, Xray? Probably a bunch of little idler gears like the AE..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.