Search
Like Tree23Likes

Field charging

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999
The main point is the OP already have his field charger box made and all wired up. He is unwilling to modify his box (probably spent close to a thousand dollar making that thing just to realized he doesnt need to) to by pass the built in power supply to power the charger directly with batteries. He rather go the convoluted, inefficient way of DC -> AC -> DC and willing to lug around a heavy power station to charge his batteries at the field just so he can show off his "professional looking" setup to his buddies while failing to realized 2 300WH LiFePO4 batteries weighs the same as the power station, has double the available energy compared to the power station, and much more efficient.

With this, I dont know if he realize that he needs at least 1000W 24V power supply from Meanwell to supply enough power to charge a combined 10s at 15A
2 car batteries what in parallel? you mean connected together? i am not to great with electronics. I know the basics thats about it. Ive never messed with car batteries thats why Im posting.
before you start gettin rowdy there buck, i would never pay close to a grand for a charger!! c'mon now. i only got it because of the amazing deal i got. it couldnt be passed up. in great condition for $200. It just needed a firmware update.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

repeat post: Can someone answer post #9 for me? still hasn't been answered
Old 12-10-2023, 10:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sn47som1
2 car batteries what in parallel? you mean connected together? i am not to great with electronics. I know the basics thats about it. Ive never messed with car batteries thats why Im posting.
before you start gettin rowdy there buck, i would never pay close to a grand for a charger!! c'mon now. i only got it because of the amazing deal i got. it couldnt be passed up. in great condition for $200. It just needed a firmware update.
2 12V batteries in series gives you 24V, the exact same output the Meanwell power supply gives to power your charger. Connecting your charger directly to the batteries wired in series is the most efficient way to charge.

A suitable case for the 4010 is ~$150, the charger itself is $350, a power supply capable of supplying enough power to charge is ~$250...thats $750 right there. Add in all the other miscellaneous hardware and wires should be close to $1K. ProgressiveRC sells a 4010 charging case for over $1k. $200 for everything is a very good deal.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:43 PM
Regional Moderator

repeat post: Can someone answer post #9 for me? still hasn't been answered
in the field I would only want to wait around for 20 minutes or so to charge or its not worth it. How would I figure out how much a 5s or 6s lipo powering the charger directly would provide for charging power for charging 10s combined? the continuous discharge rate of the lipo?

I do have a thunder power 5s 5000mah 70c ec5 to power the charger directly.
your 4s and 6s packs requires 241WH oh power. your lone 5s 5000mah pack only has 105WH. You would need at least 2 of those 5s pack in parallel to provide enough power to charge your 4s and 6s once, assuming you arent charging a completely empty pack.
sn47som1 likes this.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by disaster999
your 4s and 6s packs requires 241WH oh power. your lone 5s 5000mah pack only has 105WH. You would need at least 2 of those 5s pack in parallel to provide enough power to charge your 4s and 6s once, assuming you arent charging a completely empty pack.
thats one of the things ive wanted to figure out. how do you quickly calculate Wh?
Old 12-10-2023, 11:48 PM
Regional Moderator

Voltage x Capacity
Old 12-11-2023, 01:16 AM
Tech Lord

Power = voltage x amps

6S = 25.2v, Charging with 10 amps = 252 watt. -> from a 12v power source you will draw 252/12= 21 amps

If that takes 30 minutes to charge -> 21 amps x 0.5 hour -> it takes 10.5Ah from the battery (losses not calculated.)
sn47som1 likes this.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

i am not to great with electronics. I know the basics thats about it.
That's a mild/optimistic way of putting it, to be honest. Everything discussed here is actually nothing but the absolute basics about electronics and it's also only absolute basic math. The problem is, you don't really have an idea of how any of this actually works, but what you do have is a set of ideas you seem pretty much stuck to. You even reject answers outright (just because you don't want to hear them, since they don't fit your previous plans) and ignore options flat out, even when they might be your only way to achieve your goals. Now don't get me wrong: not knowing things is perfectly ok, and people here are ready and willing to help (up to a point - and attitude does have an influence on that point), but you need to be ready to accept what people with more knowledge try to tell you, even if it's inconvenient, and may require a change of plans or even total rethinking on your part. Even inconvenient things can still very much be true - or even worse: your only option. The simple fact is: there are no wonder solutions. If a decent battery for your application is too heavy for you, so will an equally decent power station inevitably be, as it needs such an internal battery to work. That's all there is to it. You can't create electric power from thin air and you can't store it in thin air. And the more of it you need, the heavier (and costlier) the equipment to create/store it will get.
oldfool likes this.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Will this power station sufficiently power an icharger 4010 duo to provide 10-15 amps per channel in the field? Im using a meanwell 24v supply to the charger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386234517638

Thanks

Really, there's just two questions here that needs to be asked before we literally move forward -- How many times during the day do you plan on charging those batteries you've told us about and how quickly?
Old 12-11-2023, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sabin
Really, there's just one question here that needs to be asked before we literally move forward -- What batteries do you intend to charge, and how many times per day?
He already told us what batteries he wants to charge in this very thread. Not how often though...
Old 12-11-2023, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DirkW
He already told us what batteries he wants to charge in this very thread. Not how often though...
Yeah, I only saw two. We need to know if he has multiples of those, if he plans on charging them twice or more, if he plans on charging 2x 4s, 2x 6s, etc.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sabin
Yeah, I only saw two. We need to know if he has multiples of those, if he plans on charging them twice or more, if he plans on charging 2x 4s, 2x 6s, etc.
i hear ya, its a good question. you mean how many times charging the batteries in one field session? you would be referring to the mah of the power station battery I imagine before it dies right? also the more capacity the more Wh it will have right? I know more than the basics in theory, just not in application (experience)

I would start with going to the field or site, and setting up my batteries to charge first wile I set up my cars. i dont want to charge the night before and have them sitting charged up. i want to charge and go. 1 charge cycle for 1x4s and 1x6s at the same time. use my cars until lipo cut off, then call it a day. That would be the shortest scenario. I dont even think i would storage charge because the cut off will be at 3.5v/cell, so no need for storage charging post run. what do you think?
Old 12-11-2023, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

If you want to keep your batteries in their best condition and enjoy them for as long as possible, you should definitely storage charge every time you're done for the day, even from 3.5V per cell.
sn47som1 likes this.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

3.5 is ok but 3.7 or 3.8 is safer, more margin for error and some room for a little self-discharge. Also storage temperature is important, try to keep them out of the heat.​​​​
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

If all you're planning on doing is running the two cars once, there really is no point in having a field station at all. Charge your packs the morning of while at home, and store charge them at the end of the day.

Plug your power supply into the wall and be done with it.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.