Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree90Likes

OS R2104 engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 05:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there any major diference between rp6 and rp7 glow plugs for the r2104? Can i use the rp6 with r2104, because i cannot find the rp7 easily in my country?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:39 AM
Tech Lord

Yes, the plugnumber determines for a small part the ignition timing together with the compression, nitro content and weather temperature.

If you are running 25% nitro and it is hot outside you can try a 6 but there is a chance you will blow it. If you are running 16% w/o removing a head shim then a 6 is safe to use.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof
Yes, the plugnumber determines for a small part the ignition timing together with the compression, nitro content and weather temperature.

If you are running 25% nitro and it is hot outside you can try a 6 but there is a chance you will blow it. If you are running 16% w/o removing a head shim then a 6 is safe to use.
​​​​​​What is comsidered hot weather? In Greece we have 10-15c in winter months
Old 11-11-2021, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

I have no real experience with OS but I do with other engines like Novarossi where engines configured to use with the 8 plug will blow nr 7 plugs.

I do not know how much room an OS has for the use of a 6 plug, My choice will be the use of the RP8 plug if you can get those. But you want to give it a try, I will expect when you find the right tuning the plug will not have a long life and when the tuning goes slight on the lean side the plug can blow. For sure when it is summer with 20+ degrees and with winter arround 10 degrees in your case then yes, the 6 can work perfectly.

It is adviseable to change the 0.1mm shim for a 0.15mm to be sure to keep the plug alive.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

A friend did ever a one on one test. He went to the track, drove the original and after that changed the backplate to this type and he could not notice a thing.

I have made some for others and made one ready for my Nova but still did not test it just because I had the time, was working on an engine for someone and asked my self if I could make one. Well... I can ;-). I actually do not believe it will add a significant thing but it can do something. Most normal back plates when you add some surface grooves to the side channels you will notice a more stable idle so it does make the flow a bit better. At the end I think it will give a tiny better milage.

I made a movie of some tap water on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQQhd3ELneA

You can see it pushes the water through it that directly comes out into the side transfer channels.

And yes, after RBmods started this, now popular sold by AMR we do see engine manufacturers coming standard with this. I have seen REDS, MAX and REVO tuned providing engins with this.
Excellent backplate mate.

Can you see it adding anything to reliability to the engines or purely for better burn mileage?
I am currently running the Hasi backplate, which seems to run quite well. found the Capricorn One Very boggy down low.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:23 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 3DFLYER
Excellent backplate mate.

Can you see it adding anything to reliability to the engines or purely for better burn mileage?
I am currently running the Hasi backplate, which seems to run quite well. found the Capricorn One Very boggy down low.
I can not tell. A friend did a 1 on 1 test with the AMR backplate but on a same engine used both plates he could not notice a difference.
3DFLYER likes this.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

I can not tell. A friend did a 1 on 1 test with the AMR backplate but on a same engine used both plates he could not notice a difference.
Thanks mate
Old 11-16-2021, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Picked up a Gimar Saturn 9 to try 💪

​​​​​Will be interesting how it goes vs Hasi etc
​​​​​
Old 11-21-2021, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I see that they only did it for 3 1/2 hours. My motors still have pinch when cold and a slight pinch when warm, for about a gallon of fuel. Perhaps Im over doing it, but I stand by my method.
they’re also using buggy engines which I don’t believe are as tight fitting as on road engines
nitrodude likes this.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:07 AM
Tech Lord

This is interesting....
https://www.redrc.net/2022/05/gimar-...n-road-engine/

Look at the 2nd small exhaust port, on the other side must be a 2nd too. Reminds me at a Cox engine where exhaust ports are all around in the sleeve.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

This is interesting....
https://www.redrc.net/2022/05/gimar-...n-road-engine/

Look at the 2nd small exhaust port, on the other side must be a 2nd too. Reminds me at a Cox engine where exhaust ports are all around in the sleeve.

What do u think Rolef?... Helps top end or torque or cooling?
Old 05-15-2022, 10:46 PM
Tech Lord

A wider exhaust has a same effect as a higher exhaust but does not affect the length of the combustion stroke so it does not affect the torque
davidl likes this.