• 1 Post By rc_square24
  • 2 Post By rc_square24

Tamiya trf damper question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya trf damper question

I have purchased trf special damper set, the rod guide comes as two peices. The top one has a groove in it but it isn't clear when to use it which way.

It would seem logical to use the grooved side to be on the o-ring side... Will help not create a flat spot on the o-ring... Maybe relieving of some pressure and causing less sticktion..

The diagram that comes in the shock set shows the groove facing down, opposite side of the o-ring...

Surprisingly the replacement part 53574 comes with this upper rod guide having both sides flat, no groove at all....

I would guess groove side towards the o-ring reduces sticktion but risks leakage and vice versa...

I have trf special short damper set that i build with groove towards the o-ring with no leakages and no issues, but this time im using tamiya x rings and thought id ask
Old 02-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

I also build them with the groove facing the o ring and have had no problems. Also stay away from the x rings or the blue trf rings. They both leak horribly with the x-ring being worse. I tried shimming, different rod guides, green greasing, none of it works. Stick to the clear o rings that come stock.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for your reply and input.

I later realized tamiya have a separate option for the grooved shaft guide thats the same as ones included in the damper sets. Its 84292. So the groove is indeed there for a purpose. And there cant be another reason other than ¹less o-ring drag more leak or ²more o-ring drag less leak
Old 02-29-2020, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b3master
Thanks for your reply and input.

I later realized tamiya have a separate option for the grooved shaft guide thats the same as ones included in the damper sets. Its 84292. So the groove is indeed there for a purpose. And there cant be another reason other than ¹less o-ring drag more leak or ²more o-ring drag less leak
The Tamiya blue X-rings and blue orings are free but requires a lot of maintenance (leak very soon). Tamiya clears are a lot of drag. I prefer the Yokomo YS-7HG orings, somewhere between the blue orings and clear ones. Slight drag but can go much longer in between without leaks, with these sometimes I sand down the rod guide to relieve some pressure.
b3master likes this.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc_square24
The Tamiya blue X-rings and blue orings are free but requires a lot of maintenance (leak very soon). Tamiya clears are a lot of drag. I prefer the Yokomo YS-7HG orings, somewhere between the blue orings and clear ones. Slight drag but can go much longer in between without leaks, with these sometimes I sand down the rod guide to relieve some pressure.
When given the options, would you rather use the yokomos and sand down the rod guide or use the x-rings or blue o-rings and add 4mm shims to the rod guides??
Old 03-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b3master
When given the options, would you rather use the yokomos and sand down the rod guide or use the x-rings or blue o-rings and add 4mm shims to the rod guides??
​​​​ I have tried the 4 mm shims with the TRF blue and X rings but they still leaked very soon. I think the problem is that the blue X rings are quite a bit smaller then the shock body so even with a lot of shims it still doesn't stop much of the leak. I don't get much track time so I would prefer to have a set of shocks that a relatively free for the duration of the day without too much leakage. For me the yokomo O-rings are the best balance between maintenance and stiction. It's not an expensive part so I would recommend giving it a try.
Do understand that I'm not expecting the shocks to be free from any leakage but I believe most of those who have tried the Tamiya blue or X rings would agree that they leak so much that the spring perch is almost soaked in silicone oil after a few runs. With the yokomo o rings I usually only get a thin film of oil covering the damper end.
b3master and herrokero like this.

Last edited by rc_square24; 03-06-2020 at 08:38 AM.