Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree150Likes

Xray XB8

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

On the last run before the rain came in, I had identical setups on both buggies down to .10mm on everything! The only difference was diffs at, 5-7-3 in one car and 6-6-3 in the other. 6-6-3 won in almost every way, only a slight drop in forward acceleration. Again I'm running on a low traction track, so that forward launch doesn't help much. 6-6-3 gets me predictability and free rotation through corners, car has tons of steering on and off power.

After that I tested two different camber locations and camber deg angle settings, I ended the day back at stock. It just rotates faster in corners, and if I mind my throttle on exit just a little bit, its faster overall.

So I've picked my setup for Diffs and Camber. Now going to test the DOT 4 spring up front with lighter front sway bar. I cant imagine the car getting better, but if it does, god help the competition! lol. Also picked a tire for race day, but that one I'll keep to myself.. lol.

Also been dial'n our short bus truck, so next test day will be busy.

Front shock spring test is next up for my twins, probably not a major change, only going up one rate stiffer.

The yellow ones name is Righty Tighty, and the Orange ones name is Lefty Loosie! LOL.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
Not from our experience. It does two things. It reduces the rear rotation and it takes the torque out of an engine or an electric motor. Raise it far enough on a nitro engine and you will hear the engine begin to strain like a lean bog.
the thicker center gives you more on power steering and sends more power to the rear of the car
Old 04-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver
On the last run before the rain came in, I had identical setups on both buggies down to .10mm on everything! The only difference was diffs at, 5-7-3 in one car and 6-6-3 in the other. 6-6-3 won in almost every way, only a slight drop in forward acceleration. Again I'm running on a low traction track, so that forward launch doesn't help much. 6-6-3 gets me predictability and free rotation through corners, car has tons of steering on and off power.

After that I tested two different camber locations and camber deg angle settings, I ended the day back at stock. It just rotates faster in corners, and if I mind my throttle on exit just a little bit, its faster overall.

So I've picked my setup for Diffs and Camber. Now going to test the DOT 4 spring up front with lighter front sway bar. I cant imagine the car getting better, but if it does, god help the competition! lol. Also picked a tire for race day, but that one I'll keep to myself.. lol.

Also been dial'n our short bus truck, so next test day will be busy.

Front shock spring test is next up for my twins, probably not a major change, only going up one rate stiffer.

The yellow ones name is Righty Tighty, and the Orange ones name is Lefty Loosie! LOL.
Keep going up in center and front. I’ve had very good results from 10-10-6 and now have been 10-10-4 for a few months. Try it
TheWorstDriver likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver

Keep going up in center and front. I’ve had very good results from 10-10-6 and now have been 10-10-4 for a few months. Try it
What surface are you running that diff setup on?

That is why I have a practice car, and race car, so I can continuously test new things while maintaining my last known "best" setup for racing. I picked up some 8K oil and was about to try 8K 8K 4K. I also picked up another spare set of Diff's so I could test through combos faster. Only down side of testing new diffs is they need some "run in time" to get the mechanical bind I'm after. Takes about a day of practice to get them set.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Tested,... 4 Dot springs up front are faster on my car. Running 4 Dot up front, and 3 Dot rear. Thanks to whoever mentioned to try that, was quite a while back, just got around to it now. Race is Saturday, will post setup if I top 5 or better.

Shes ready for her first race, shes a slutty kinda fast! LOL!

Last edited by TheWorstDriver; 04-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

fyi.. the new medium arms are available for the C-hub car.. also.. Avid has made a shock tower out of carbon for the C-hub car as well.. eliminates the pill in the front tower.. Rick Andring worked on it.. and i was able to get Avid to make a run of towers..
Old 04-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112
fyi.. the new medium arms are available for the C-hub car.. also.. Avid has made a shock tower out of carbon for the C-hub car as well.. eliminates the pill in the front tower.. Rick Andring worked on it.. and i was able to get Avid to make a run of towers..
NIce! I'll give the C-hub a shot again.

However, I did qualify 2nd in Nitro today, about 4 seconds off the pace with one mistake in 7 minutes. Didn't start my main due to "fuel Issues". lol. Or lack of fuel issues, I dont want to talk about it. My car felt like a winner today, this PBS is dialed, I had so many places to gain ground, and I didn't even get to use them..

Next time... lol.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Sofar so good . Some tough crashes. Nothing broke yet. New arms are holding up well..
Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

full race day, some tough crashes, nothing broken. car is fast, still working out some twitchyness issues, but overall pleased.
BenPetz and TheWorstDriver like this.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

OK will try those changes.
Funny though, I noticed the opposite when I added the +1 hubs to the rear, I actually picked up traction in the rear. I will undo that change and see what happens.

Here is the first Test setup for the C-hub. Its mostly stock on the shocks and diffs, really fast in the racing line. When I would get tight in a corner (to pass), I just couldn't get throttle fast enough to maintain said pass. I assume my inside front and rear tires sat in loam off racing line, so going on throttle was probably cutting that rear inside tire loose to spin. That inside pass scenario would cause me to lift off the gas as the rear continued to step out. Unfortunately, on this track, most of those passing opportunities will be on the inside line, so I will need to resolve this quick. Would dropping the center diff down to 6K send a bit more power to the front, giving me a bit less rear drive, or a bit more front drive out of the corner? Everything else is so close to perfect I don't want to make that change unless its really needed.

Do you think dropping that front kickup down will help like it did on the PBS Buggy?
Will running a lighter lexan wing that provides more down force at lower speeds help?
Could rear toe-in need a slight change to help on this little issue?

do you race in the NCT events?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

I'm in the process of just starting to assemble a 20-18 XRay XB8, and seem to have an issue with the front diff. It doesn't not turn smoothly at all. The rear one is fine, but the front one wont turn. Is this normal? I have taken it apart and reset the planetary gears, but same issue. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
-Bill
Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by snowninja
do you race in the NCT events?
Since I just started racing again, I plan to get warmed up locally, then I'll start stepping out to bigger races. I haven't even looked at what larger race events are in my area as of yet. What tracks does the NCT hit? I used to travel all over, racing Nitro Challenge, ROAR NATs, and other west coast events. Now that I'm Northwest'ish not sure whats around.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Since I just started racing again, I plan to get warmed up locally, then I'll start stepping out to bigger races. I haven't even looked at what larger race events are in my area as of yet. What tracks does the NCT hit? I used to travel all over, racing Nitro Challenge, ROAR NATs, and other west coast events. Now that I'm Northwest'ish not sure whats around.

https://www.facebook.com/NCTseries/

rjmakk and TheWorstDriver like this.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GulfstreamIVCap
Guys,

I'm in the process of just starting to assemble a 20-18 XRay XB8, and seem to have an issue with the front diff. It doesn't not turn smoothly at all. The rear one is fine, but the front one wont turn. Is this normal? I have taken it apart and reset the planetary gears, but same issue. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
-Bill

Make sure you tighten them in the x pattern. Maybe you put it in the chassis where the slot wasn't? Gotta line that thing up with the groove in the chassis. That's all I can think of
GulfstreamIVCap likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowninja
How's the turnout up in Washington? I've been trying to track down a race series up there but this is the first I've heard of 8th scale happening!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.