Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree35Likes

Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: alex4r
Kyosho ZX6.6 New Parts (* = required to update ZX6 to ZX6.6 platform)

LA359B - Center Mount Set (ZX6.6)*
LA375 - Center Diff. Gear Set(ZX6.6)*
LA375-01 - Center Diff. Gear Case Set(ZX6.6)
LA375-78 - Spur Gear(48P-78T/ZX6.6)
LA376 - Center Drive Shaft (71.5/ZX6.6)*
LA377 - Center Drive Shaft (79.5/ZX6.6)* (x2)
LA378 - Center Drive Shaft (88/ZX6.6)*
LA379 - Joint Cup Cover (ZX6/ZX6.6)*
LAW54B-01 - HD Chassis*
LA355B - Side guard set*
UM713B - Rear Arms (from RB6)*
UM561 - Outer rear hinge pins*
LA236-12B - 1.2mm Front sway bar*
LA351B 4-hole front shock tower*

Options
VVC Blades TFW126
Spare Blades TFW001-01

Manuals

Lazer ZX6.6
Lazer ZX6

After Market Bodies

JConcepts Silencer

Weight Reduction options for 13.5 Class

Chassis:
UMW711B - Carbon composite rear arms
LAW60 - Carbon composite front upper bulkhead
LAW61 - Carbon composite rear upper bulkhead
LAW52 - Carbon composite front chassis brace
LAW53 - Carbon composite rear chassis brace
LA209HB - Carbon composite gear boxes (pinion bearing retainer & upper gearbox half only, lower half not compatible/saves 4.6g total)
Driveline:
LA211B - Plastic drive cups for center drive shafts coming out of front & rear gear boxes (requires drilling two holes for set screws to secure LA379)
TFW001 - Aluminum blade style outdrives (for ball diff/requires TF013)
LA202 - Aluminum pinion shafts (for ball diff)
TFW126 - VVC outdrives (for gear diff - front/rear/center)
TFW008 - VVC cross pins (for gear diff - front/rear/center)
Misc:
LAB06LW - LW Blade body
SK0402 - Ti screw set (Available at Lunsfordracing.com)
PTK-T-2111 - Ti screw set (cheaper, slightly less durable option)
LNS7765 - Ti ball studs
LNS2688 - Ti Turnbuckles
LNS36107 - Ti Turnbuckles (super duty)
W0201H - Hard anodized lower shock balls
1-N3024A-R - Aluminum M3x2.4 nuts (for shock standoffs)
1-N3033NA-R - Aluminum M3x3.3 locknuts

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by exheliguy
I see that kyosho makes aluminum rear hubs. Do they also make front knuckles and carriers? And will the zx6 parts fit the new 6.6?
If you buy parts for the ZX6, they will work on the ZX6.6. I honestly can't think of any that will not work.

I have not had any problems with the kit balls either.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
If you buy parts for the ZX6, they will work on the ZX6.6. I honestly can't think of any that will not work.

I have not had any problems with the kit balls either.
Lol thats funny i thought he meant the RB6.6 . So yeah anything for a zx6 should work on a
Zx6.6
Old 11-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by likea45
I was running X-ray before coming to kyosho. The Xb4 is a very fast and capable platform. Two places I think the ZX6 excels at over the X-ray:
1. Cornering. My XB4 was very easy to drive right out of the box but I always felt like I wanted more steering. I'd find it but then I would have too much. I'd play with dialing it back and forth until I'd reach a point I could "live with". Spending an additional $100+ on the ECS drive shafts was the only way to get the car to turn the way I wanted. The ZX6 from go had loads of steering, too much in fact, but I found it much easier to dial back. With all that said the ZX6 enters and exits corners faster and is a bit more agile in tricky sections for my taste.

2. Jumping and landing. I was never blown away by the X-ray shock package. I had to buy aftermarket parts to keep them going although I will say they are easy to build. Nothing and I mean nothing touches a Kyosho shock though. Buttery smooth and plush, rebuild after rebuild after rebuild. They just have it down when it comes to shocks. This allows the car to land more plush and stable which in turn means quicker to accelerate on landing.

The XB4 is great chassis, I think it's durability is something Kyosho could learn from and it's easy to drive out of the box and a breeze to work on. The ZX6 is also easy to drive out of the box but I think it's better in the hands of an experienced driver who's had a wheeler before than a first timer. I believe the X-ray is easier for a beginner especially when durability is a factor.

I was instantly faster with the ZX6.
this is odd to me i found the xray to be the best steering buggy by a long shot.

dont get me wrong the kyosho is a great car, but i would definitely argue against your point that the kyosho has better steering - that was probably a personal setup issue. same with the speed issue. im faster with the xray than any other buggy but i have it dialed in.

i think the xray is way more versatile and more tune able especially with the different plastics and that's what makes it great to me. i can dial it in to my liking and it respond very well.

i do agree that kyosho's shocks are slightly better, but i don't think that comes into play honestly. they just dont get as dirty as quickly, but replace xrays o-rings with some kyosho or yokomo x-rings and it's on par, if not close enough to never ever tell a difference on the track.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Awesome, thanks guys. Just waiting on my hobby shop to get my zx6.6 now. Does the kit come with diff oil and shock oil? Asking because I just finished with a STRR Evo2 and it didn't include any fluids.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My ZX6.6 ships from Japan today
Old 11-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Lazer ZX6.6 Center Diff parts list have been listed on Kyosho America's web site...

Consolidated from Kyosho America's web site:

LA375 - Center Diff. Gear Set(ZX6.6)
Center gear diff set for Lazer ZX6.6. Requires additional parts to install on ZX6. (LA359B,LA376,LA377 or LA378, and LA379.)

LA359B - Center Mount Set (ZX6.6)
Revised ZX6 upper plate for use with the center differential on the ZX6.6.

LA377 - Center Drive Shaft (79.5/ZX6.6)
Center driveshaft for Lazer ZX6.6. Used for front and rear when using rearward motor mounting positon.

LA379 - Joint Cup Cover (ZX6/ZX6.6)
Joint cup covers for Lazer ZX6.6 center diff.

LA376 - Center Drive Shaft (71.5/ZX6.6)
Front center driveshaft for Lazer ZX6.6 when using center diff and forward mounted motor.

LA378 - Center Drive Shaft (88/ZX6.6)
88mm Center driveshaft for Lazer ZX6.6. Rear center when using center diff with forward mounted motor position.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Added above parts and created a Wiki.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lyons238
this is odd to me i found the xray to be the best steering buggy by a long shot.

dont get me wrong the kyosho is a great car, but i would definitely argue against your point that the kyosho has better steering - that was probably a personal setup issue. same with the speed issue. im faster with the xray than any other buggy but i have it dialed in.

i think the xray is way more versatile and more tune able especially with the different plastics and that's what makes it great to me. i can dial it in to my liking and it respond very well.

i do agree that kyosho's shocks are slightly better, but i don't think that comes into play honestly. they just dont get as dirty as quickly, but replace xrays o-rings with some kyosho or yokomo x-rings and it's on par, if not close enough to never ever tell a difference on the track.
That's cool. That's why we have different cars for different people. I know how to setup my cars, the X-ray wasn't slow by any means, but I found the ZX6 more to my liking.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:48 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Which has more rear grip and side bite on medium bite?
Originally Posted by likea45
That's cool. That's why we have different cars for different people. I know how to setup my cars, the X-ray wasn't slow by any means, but I found the ZX6 more to my liking.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Gotta disagree here. Kyosho shocks are the best hands down, of any shock I've built so far. I've built AE, HB, Yokomo, Durango, KYO, pretty much all of them. Xray pistons have an insane amount of blow by, in comparison. Unfortunately the machined piston sets available via aftermarket like Avid or Schelle are designed to be very close to the originals, so same problem. Highly difficult to tune this way. Generally requires higher viscosity oil.
Changing the O rings will only decrease stiction, while this is useful, it still doesn't solve the blow by problem.

Shocks are a critical part of the the cars performance and this is noticeable and obvious on the track.

I haven't even mentioned the spring problem either.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
Gotta disagree here. Kyosho shocks are the best hands down, of any shock I've built so far. I've built AE, HB, Yokomo, Durango, KYO, pretty much all of them. Xray pistons have an insane amount of blow by, in comparison. Unfortunately the machined piston sets available via aftermarket like Avid or Schelle are designed to be very close to the originals, so same problem. Highly difficult to tune this way. Generally requires higher viscosity oil.
Changing the O rings will only decrease stiction, while this is useful, it still doesn't solve the blow by problem.

Shocks are a critical part of the the cars performance and this is noticeable and obvious on the track.

I haven't even mentioned the spring problem either.
the schelle and avid pistons do not have a lot of blowby on the xray shocks (I have 3 xray cars and have inspected intimately). If the avid/schelle pistons were any tighter in the bodies there would be too much friction to allow them to slide properly - they're as tight as any machined piston shock package. kyoshos are def the smoothest and most sealed shocks on the market - but in reality they don't make a big difference on the track - barely noticeable at best. still doesn't translate into more speed either.

the xray shocks are fantastic once you get the machined pistons in them and either some new o-rings or yokomo or kyosho x-rings. i would say that they're right there with TLR which I consider very good shocks, just above AE. Kyosho's do have the best seal, the smoothest action, but again the affects are minimal.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:12 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have had 3 xray's in the last 6 months. I like their cars. I don't like their shocks. The Kyosho shocks are the best thing that's happened to me since the birth of my second child.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAE
I have had 3 xray's in the last 6 months. I like their cars. I don't like their shocks. The Kyosho shocks are the best thing that's happened to me since the birth of my second child.
LOL - f the first child tho right?

but did you try avid pistons and kyosho x-rings? like i said after that they're right up there with TLR IMO.

Kyosho is the best i agree - but does it really translate on the track? not really. feels better when you build them and you change oil less is about it.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Smile

LOL - f the first child tho right?

but did you try avid pistons and kyosho x-rings? like i said after that they're right up there with TLR IMO.

Kyosho is the best i agree - but does it really translate on the track? not really. feels better when you build them and you change oil less is about it.
I've tried Xrings and Avid and Schelle pistons in my shocks. I still have them and if the car doesn't sell soon I will get it out to measure with my micrometers.

Better shocks will always translate. Otherwise why would you upgrade to Avid or Schelle pistons on your Xray ? Why not just leave them stock if it doesn't matter?
Old 11-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

for the sake of reference experience.....I haven't built the latest version of TLR shocks, not since the XXX days. I know a lot of guys really like them.

@JAE: FIRST BORN SON! hahahahhaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.