Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
TQ RC Racing in Chico...   Road-trip!!! >

TQ RC Racing in Chico... Road-trip!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

TQ RC Racing in Chico... Road-trip!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

So Evan, now that you have put some laps on that new motor what are your thoughts on its performance?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
So Evan, now that you have put some laps on that new motor what are your thoughts on its performance?
It's a good motor. It's a much more High-RPM motor than my D3.5 was and I didn't even come close to maxing out the timing at TQ, but it still had good overall performance and one racer said my car seemed to accelerate particularly well off the infield corners. The Team Powers contact on RCTech said I should try gearing the car way down and upping the timing, possibly even to the max, but I'm not so sure.

I made a tuning mistake on the car before the main and it had too much steering, causing it to scrub speed, or it would have been in the mix for the win. I and/or my car slowed down nearly two tenths between my fast lap in practice an hour before the main and the main itself. Oh well, that's racing, qualified third and finished third.

Somehow I Top Qualified 17.5 touring car by accident. I haven't spun a wrench on that car since about March and it keeps running hard. I would have won the race and the car was just walking away from the pack but I clipped a back-marker. Still finished second.

James Banta made the A in 1/12 scale. On the bump, but he still made the A.

Last edited by DesertRat; 08-12-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Words.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
James Banta made the A in 1/12 scale. On the bump, but he still made the A.
Banta also had a faster lap than you in the A
He was running strong

So fun having you guys to race with
Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Had a great time again at TQ in Chino. Absolutely loved the faster servo, and the new D4 motor definitely ran better than the original Revtech. Also, sifting through the data generated from my Tekin RS Gen2 was quite helpful at time, and definitely very interesting.

It was a huge relief to final make it into the A-Main, even if I did have to bump my way in. Having a faster lap than Evan is just icing on the cake! It's nice that I'm finally closing down the gap to the really fast guys too. Still more work to be done, but seeing progress is encouraging.

I also need to make a shout out to Dave Berger. While leading the second qualifier I ended up in an accident where my body got tweaked badly. I was simply planning to retire the car, but before it had even come to a stop Dave was on the car trying to fix it. I retired the car anyway, but I'm still really thankful that he gave it his all to try and help me make the A-Main!

Sure wish I could do more trips this year, but with school starting next week it will be impossible. At least this should be my last year of college!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wish I could have made the trip last weekend. Hopefully I can make the next points race.

Way to go Evan and James. Which motor did you run James?

I've already watched all the Mains on Youtube.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Jason,

I ran a D4. However, we changed over to the TEP1112 Turquoise High Torque rotor. The amazing thing was, according to the telemetry, with this rotor there was more torque and a gain in RPM!

My favorite thing about the motor is that is has very little rotating resistance, so the car rolls forever. Made it much easier to maintain good corner speed.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

That rotor did the same for the D3.5, Killshot and the Revtech.

It's awesome to see so many different competitive motors out there.

When is the Banta crew planning another Chino run?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow - its great to see that you all are racing well. I haven't given up on racing although not having the track in Tucson really didn't help, but things have just been really busy. Since I last raced (last fall) I did manage to come in 7th at the Cowboy Action Nationals in Duelist Class and 4th at the Cowboy Action World Championships in Duelist.

Is there any weekly racing in AZ.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottE1776
Wow - its great to see that you all are racing well. I haven't given up on racing although not having the track in Tucson really didn't help, but things have just been really busy. Since I last raced (last fall) I did manage to come in 7th at the Cowboy Action Nationals in Duelist Class and 4th at the Cowboy Action World Championships in Duelist.

The new Hobbytown SRS race track is hoping to have a place prepped for racing by this winter. It will likely be racing on concrete but it will be professionally smoothed and hopefully we can run some traction additive.

Other than that, no onroad racing besides parking lot racing at Hobbytown Gilbert.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AZ Wolfie
Had a great time again at TQ in Chino. Absolutely loved the faster servo, and the new D4 motor definitely ran better than the original Revtech. Also, sifting through the data generated from my Tekin RS Gen2 was quite helpful at time, and definitely very interesting.

It was a huge relief to final make it into the A-Main, even if I did have to bump my way in. Having a faster lap than Evan is just icing on the cake! It's nice that I'm finally closing down the gap to the really fast guys too. Still more work to be done, but seeing progress is encouraging.

I also need to make a shout out to Dave Berger. While leading the second qualifier I ended up in an accident where my body got tweaked badly. I was simply planning to retire the car, but before it had even come to a stop Dave was on the car trying to fix it. I retired the car anyway, but I'm still really thankful that he gave it his all to try and help me make the A-Main!

Sure wish I could do more trips this year, but with school starting next week it will be impossible. At least this should be my last year of college!
Well at least you went out on a high note. Maybe you can make it over there during one of the breaks.

Originally Posted by ScottE1776

The only on-road racing takes place at Hobbytown Gilbert as Rat mentioned, however the 5 or 6 1/12th racers we have in the valley do not go there with any regularity so road course racing at HT consists of TC classes only. They will run a 1/12th class if enough show but due to the number of heats (usually 20+) 1/12th heats are restricted to 5mins.

Originally Posted by DesertRat
The new Hobbytown SRS race track is hoping to have a place prepped for racing by this winter. It will likely be racing on concrete but it will be professionally smoothed and hopefully we can run some traction additive.

Other than that, no onroad racing besides parking lot racing at Hobbytown Gilbert.
I don't want to be the dark cloud and rain on the SRS parade, but has anyone here ever run 1/12th on smooth concrete? I just don't see that as a very good surface for racing other than drifting. From what I've read in the past about the only thing that can make that type of surface usable is VHT, anyone ever read/heard of something else that works?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris moore
VHT
That's kinda what I'd had in mind. VHT or something really sticky, but it would be up to the track owner/operator.

Well, before any debate over traction addititive we need a track, so let's support the project until then.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Used to race at Bruce Enderle's tennis court. Never had any grip until he painted it with paint mixed with abrasive. Then we had some bite, but it ate tires super fast.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
Used to race at Bruce Enderle's tennis court. Never had any grip until he painted it with paint mixed with abrasive. Then we had some bite, but it ate tires super fast.
Good call Lonny, your post reminded me of a post from one of the Hawaii racers looking for suggestions on a cheap solution to resurfacing. One of the suggestions he received was to use paint with sand mixed in, sounded good but I was curious if it would be hard on tires.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Alright, who's going this weekend?
E

Never mind, the date is August 31st not the 24th like I thought...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

It says online that Round 7 is this weekend, not next weekend, if that's what you were going for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.