Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR VS the spec racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The problem with stock is that it becomes a money pit as everyone is looking for the flavor of the week motor or other legal modifications to the car that gives tad more power.

With mod, everyone is on the same level because all the cars all have more power than can be used. The track, traction, and driving skills are what act as limiters. Plus, cost are not an issue because it cost the same to build a 17.5 blinky as it does a 6.5 mod car for the most part.

ROAR needs to define what stock is meant to be as well. If it is a beginner class, then they need to just call it BEGINNER or Rookie. This will deflate the egos of the sandbaggers who like racing stock. However, if the class is meant to be a spec class then they need tighter rules across motors, tires, batteries, etc.

Rules are good, but there is a point to where they over complicate simple matters or don't pass the smell test. Back in the day, a lot of the rules made sense whereas now the rules have not caught up with technology available for electric racing.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While stock brushed motors didn't have adjustable timing you could tune them with brushes,springs, and other black art tricks.

Locked timing brushless can't be done between mfg's. What we have now is working for the most part. Simply reducing the frequency of how often stock motors can be approved would slow down the "motor of the month" club to where the motors can only be done say once a year.

I'd like to see a driver ranking system similar to the license system used over seas.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think a good idea for large sanctioned events would be a timed practice to seed everyone. Top 33% in pro, middle 33% in expert, bottom 33% in sportsman. Run what you want motor wise, let the clock sort them out. Re- seed after 2 rounds of qualifying. If you obviously sand bag in qualifying and blow people away in the main (lap times improved by a certain pre determined amount), you get bumped to the next level lowest main. Oh and bump ups.

Randy I really like the one approval per year thing. Good idea.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
While stock brushed motors didn't have adjustable timing you could tune them with brushes,springs, and other black art tricks.

Locked timing brushless can't be done between mfg's. What we have now is working for the most part. Simply reducing the frequency of how often stock motors can be approved would slow down the "motor of the month" club to where the motors can only be done say once a year.

I'd like to see a driver ranking system similar to the license system used over seas.
Agree with that 100%.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

17.5 blinky has been working just fine in California really has taken off this past year! If you dont like 17.5 blinky then don't run it!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

17.5 "blinky" NR stock 2wd buggy has taken off around here in Cali.
I've been frequenting a couple other regional boards where I intend to be visiting soon, and was surprised to see that they had 17.5 NR truck classes running, but nobody wanting 17.5 buggy.

I personally do like the thought of 17.5 being a "novice" class and limited to something like short course, which will also help protect the novice user from as many repairs who will crash more often. That being said, I'm having a lot of fun with my 17.5 buggy indoors...now if only I didn't suck so much at setup.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
17.5 is faster then mod was not too long ago ..

coming soon !!!!

17.5 faster than 2 months ago , and then we get even faster 17.5 & it goes on & on ....

Its stupid and why I quit racing the Stk class years ago ....

Today ?

Need to combine stk & mod 2 wheel buggy & make it open 2w buggy .

Then use the 17.5 in ST & SC , making these class's for beginners & new entry racers ....
This is crazy wrong. 17.5 blinky off road has been almost exactly the same speed since blinky started becoming popular. The reason I can say this so certainly is that I am running the same motor and battery (and 1st issue Novak GTB) as I was when I went back to stock racing 2 seasons ago. I don't get pulled, anywhere.

I don't disagree with making open classes. There would definitely be some growing pains while people got honest with their egos and the amount of motor they could run successfully.

Those of you that think stock has "gotten out of hand" have incredibly short memories.

Carpet may be a different story..
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

I don't run stock anymore because the rules change every month. So far I've seen.
back to 13.5
back to 17.5
17.5 blinky

17.5 and 13.5 with boost and turbo timing was fun, lots of fun. Easy to drive, with good top speed on the straights. But the cheap bastards, who I have absolutely no respect for, whined like babies and killed that fun because they were too cheap to upgrade to a boost ESC despite the fact that eventually they needed to upgrade as thier olde ESC started to fail.

All this time people tried making this class "fair" and failed every time. Fair is in Mod. I'd rather see spec tires instead of spec motors. Having the right set of tires in 2wd buggy is critical and allmost allways impossible.

I think most of the 2wd mod buggies left are 13.5 rejects from the left over stock era. Another dieing class it appears. Not enough left for stock and mod, now it's just open. 13.5 boost was fun, what a shame.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The problem with stock is that it becomes a money pit as everyone is looking for the flavor of the week motor or other legal modifications to the car that gives tad more power.

With mod, everyone is on the same level because all the cars all have more power than can be used. The track, traction, and driving skills are what act as limiters. Plus, cost are not an issue because it cost the same to build a 17.5 blinky as it does a 6.5 mod car for the most part.

ROAR needs to define what stock is meant to be as well. If it is a beginner class, then they need to just call it BEGINNER or Rookie. This will deflate the egos of the sandbaggers who like racing stock. However, if the class is meant to be a spec class then they need tighter rules across motors, tires, batteries, etc.

Rules are good, but there is a point to where they over complicate simple matters or don't pass the smell test. Back in the day, a lot of the rules made sense whereas now the rules have not caught up with technology available for electric racing.
Agree 100%
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Peer pressure takes care of that. The issue now is that stock is still a little too fast. The rules are tighter and the equipment is more tamper proof than it has ever been since the hobby began. We're in a pretty good place now. A 19.5 motor or simply a gear limitation would do wonders for keeping stock, "stock" as far as speeds are concerned.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I've always liked the idea of "stock class"

Here's what you get, now get any advantage you can. While not breaking any rules.

When the first ESC timing advance came out I couldn't try enough different setups...

If you want slow 'stock' racing, try watching tamiy mini coopers or VTA cars...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steam
Any motor where you can adjust timing is not spec. ROAR needs better spec rules for sure. How about a 10 degree fixed timing 17.5 for blinky. At least that would be a step in the right direction.

Brushed stock motors did not have adjustable timing. How can you call it a stock motor with adjustable timing. I don't get it.
You couldn`t adjust the timing on the can but it wasn`t to long before people figured out how to adjust the arm to get more timing . Plus different brushes and mods to brushes to get more out of them .
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by whitrzac

If you want slow 'stock' racing, try watching tamiy mini coopers or VTA cars...
Or fix the spec to meet the performance expectation. There is no racing formula that has a frozen spec, they all change to address the needs and expectations of the class/category. F1, NASCAR, CART, MotoGP (nobody needs an adjustment more than these guys..), WSBK, all of them change to keep the performance and costs where they need to be to facilitate the best racing they can.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

To me the stock class is a good place for people such as myself to race to stay out of the way of the fast guys. It should be defined as a class for people starting out or just not up to hanging with the sponsored drivers. Sportsman type class. The blink esc has worked well at our track, you can time the motor all you want, but the real tunning comes from the gearing. Skill will win out 99% of the time over a fast motor. Great class but you can't ruin it with rule changes and making it difficult for the people building the motors to understand what roar wants.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BRSracing
To me the stock class is a good place for people such as myself to race to stay out of the way of the fast guys. It should be defined as a class for people starting out or just not up to hanging with the sponsored drivers. Sportsman type class. The blink esc has worked well at our track, you can time the motor all you want, but the real tunning comes from the gearing. Skill will win out 99% of the time over a fast motor. Great class but you can't ruin it with rule changes and making it difficult for the people building the motors to understand what roar wants.
I agree, but the rules must periodically change. Today we are all essentially running a 7-cell pack that weighs 2/3rds what the old 6-cell packs weighed. The motor rules never adjusted for this. The rules must change periodically if racing is to continue to be healthy. It must be predictable and allow ample time for the changes but the rules must change periodically. If they don't then "stock" really does disappear and you're left with an open class. While skilled racers are on board with that, it leaves nowhere for new racers to come in. If you can't replace those you periodically lose, it all dies. Look at on-road as an example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.