Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR VS the spec racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

Locked timing brushless can't be done between mfg's. What we have now is working for the most part. Simply reducing the frequency of how often stock motors can be approved would slow down the "motor of the month" club to where the motors can only be done say once a year.

I'd like to see a driver ranking system similar to the license system used over seas.
Why can't this be done? I've got to believe Brushless motors are more tamper resistant. If ROAR had guidelines for RPM and Torque tolerances.
Call it SPEC
Motors with timing - Call it Pro Stock
Call Mod - Mod
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Legend

Dave !!

You think 17.5 is'nt getting faster ?

O-man ........

and

You say I'm crazy ?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
While stock brushed motors didn't have adjustable timing you could tune them with brushes,springs, and other black art tricks.

Locked timing brushless can't be done between mfg's. What we have now is working for the most part. Simply reducing the frequency of how often stock motors can be approved would slow down the "motor of the month" club to where the motors can only be done say once a year.

I'd like to see a driver ranking system similar to the license system used over seas.
Just a question here, not trying to start anything, why can't locked timing be done between mfg's?, seems like that would be a good way to do it along with the approved once a year deal.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
You nailed it. Stock has become a joke. I understand that back in the day, Stock was for the sportsman guy. When he got better, he moved to mod. Now, you have experts running Stock (and staying there) and it is just as fast as mod. Does that make any sense at all? The whole timing advance thing was just nutty. Here you have a 17.5 motor, with ESC timing that makes it just as fast as a 10.5. So, why not just run a 10.5?

That's one of the reasons I like 8th scale racing. Their is no stock, super stock, mod, super duper stock, etc. You run what you want. It's all open and separated by driver experience (Sportsman, Amateur, Pro, etc.) Maybe that's where 1/10 scale racing should be looking at.
This is where things are beginning to go at tracks with enough entrants. I race at WCRC and when someone consitently wins a beginner class they get bumped up into intermediate.

ROAR serves a function but the best people to make the rules are the racers and the track owners. The track owners want you to keep coming so they're happy to entertain what will make that so. I know at WCRC they've been trying to get a 4WD class going so we may just divide it into beginners and pro and keep the specs entirely open. No one wanted to buy new motors just to get into the beginner class (who sets up their 4wd w/a 17.5?) so I think this is what's going to happen.

13.5 is a really good class as it has enough power to ensure that the skills of racing and setup dominate a little more so than if someone simply has just a slightly hotter motor or lighter lipo. Yet it's not so fast as to be too hard to control for beginners.

Sure, someone who maxxes everything to get speed will still get some advantages but these will be much less pronounced than in a 17.5 class.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jnyrcr
Just a question here, not trying to start anything, why can't locked timing be done between mfg's?, seems like that would be a good way to do it along with the approved once a year deal.
Because variations among the different manufacturers designs will result in variations in performance between different manufacturers motors. In the end, people will figure out which motor out of the particular year's approved motors is the fastest and everyone will use that one. Next year, it might be a different brand/design. So it will be motor of the year, rather than motor of the month. Buying one motor per year to race doesn't sound that bad.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've always liked the idea of a Hand-Out motor class. Track owner has one or 2 brands or whatever and they buy a lot of them for the class. It would work even better during points series, Run a Handout motor class and they dont pay for the motor, but their entry fees be a few dollars higher so that at the end of the series the extra fee's pay for the cost of the motor and get to keep it. Speed passion has sportman motors for like $35 on their site, get a owner to buy a lot and maybe get the cost down even a little more, You wont have people bitching because they are sponsored by companies because it should be a beginner/fun class and pros shouldnt be allowed anyways, Keeps things even and CHEAP!!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Around here guys can win stock and mod driving the exact same truck........ Thats when 17.5s are toooo fast.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Dave !!

You think 17.5 is'nt getting faster ?

O-man ........

and

You say I'm crazy ?
I think if you take an old Novak SS 17.5 with a sintered rotor and dyno it against a new one (assuming both are in equal condition), you will find that they produce the same amount of watts. The old Novak may even be stronger because the Chinese have raised the price of neodymium (key material in the best rotors). Timing boost is almost gone and the motors are developing against a cost cap and the loss/reduction of a key element. It has not gotten faster.

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
ROAR serves a function but the best people to make the rules are the racers and the track owners. The track owners want you to keep coming so they're happy to entertain what will make that so.
That sounds good in theory but the racers will ask for the wrong things almost 100% of the time. Speeds and costs spiral up, participation spirals down. Very few track owners have the leadership and courage to "tell them what they want". ROAR has the advantage of a LONG history of data collection. They can see how participation has gone up/down with rule changes.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Legend

Ha Dave , even a old 13.5 is'nt as fast as the new 17.5 ...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Ha Dave , even a old 13.5 is'nt as fast as the new 17.5 ...
You're not helping your credibility any here..
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Davidka
You're not helping your credibility any here..

O sure , still most will agree with me ....
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Lord

O sure , still most will agree with me ....
I don't think anyone agrees with you on this.

We've had a Tekin rep posting here, maybe he will chime in.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I like the once a year approval for 17.5 motors. Also i think all big races should be, if you place in the a-main of blinky 17.5 then the following year you should have move up. There is no reason why we should see the same names year after year in the a-main at some of these races.

Club racing should be open motor class and offer novice class for beginners.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi316
I like the once a year approval for 17.5 motors. Also i think all big races should be, if you place in the a-main of blinky 17.5 then the following year you should have move up. There is no reason why we should see the same names year after year in the a-main at some of these races.

Club racing should be open motor class and offer novice class for beginners.
I just don't see that blinky always has to be a rookie class. My track we have novice, blinky 17.5 and mod. We usually have plenty of turn out for all. I enjoy running both mod and stock. Some tracks have no ST class as its died out and same with 4x4 buggy so that leaves only 2wd buggy and sc. I like to run as many classes as I can a night so I like having a blinky and mod. Like some have said, blinky can be a great class to help slow things down and pick your lines and learn the track, just because you run mod doesn't mean your pro and know how to do everything, it can be fun just slowing it down a bit as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Stock racing is definitely not a beginner class. Stock racing requires absolutely perfect driving, at least around here. Stock is the most competitive class at our track, everyone has to bring their a game if they want a chance at winning. Even landing a jump a little off can make the difference between getting first or fifth.

Last edited by PnchoPwr; 10-14-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.