Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
NORCAR at the Gate presents the Holloween Classic!! >

NORCAR at the Gate presents the Holloween Classic!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

NORCAR at the Gate presents the Holloween Classic!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It may be time to put back together the old foam cars... If I come and race, I'm running purples or something in that range (37 shore+). We started TC racing on Purple and Purple/Orange fronts until it went softer and softer till we had 1 run pinks or magentas peeling a part. 50mm wheel with tires cut to 2.18" would last 4 runs of "break in" and then would stop hiking and were good from 2.10-2.14". Below 2.10" they started to slide around but you could still get around the track. I ran 8-12 runs on a set before the sliding set in.

Pit Shimizu 20D's were the most dialed carpet TC rubber tire but I don't see them being raced due to their short life. I think if everyone wants to seriously bring back foam TC they need to seriously think about this and use the adjustments (like they do on rubber cars). Stop making 1 run tires the "must have".
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM
AE-Reedy

It's amazing people watched foam tire mod die and they want to repeat the process again.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
It's amazing people watched foam tire mod die and they want to repeat the process again.
+1
Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow. Fantastic info for someone like myself. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Sean - Nice to see the optimisim...lol.. I guess RCTech hasn't changed a bit. I'll go back to trolling...lol...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
It may be time to put back together the old foam cars... If I come and race, I'm running purples or something in that range (37 shore+). We started TC racing on Purple and Purple/Orange fronts until it went softer and softer till we had 1 run pinks or magentas peeling a part. 50mm wheel with tires cut to 2.18" would last 4 runs of "break in" and then would stop hiking and were good from 2.10-2.14". Below 2.10" they started to slide around but you could still get around the track. I ran 8-12 runs on a set before the sliding set in.

Pit Shimizu 20D's were the most dialed carpet TC rubber tire but I don't see them being raced due to their short life. I think if everyone wants to seriously bring back foam TC they need to seriously think about this and use the adjustments (like they do on rubber cars). Stop making 1 run tires the "must have".
Yep must back up Josh on this, 100% correct, if "we" try and do this we have to set up some solid rules if you will to keep the same thing from happening again. Already with just the rumors of this happening I have even fallen subject to finding the 35 shore and lower foams. why can't we just spec it like the world GT tires or something to that effect? I know in the past the Grandslam race did that, but due to the huge depart from foam to rubber that only lasted one season. I vote for something like this again, at the least, make an agreement to run say 40 shore or purple, at the least. Even at that most people will at least try a purple/purple setup, and everyone works with that.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann
Man, was I sure good at this. Even Fairtrace was intrigued ...

Love how TJ gets the girl to hold his ride....simply TJ......
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Sean - Nice to see the optimisim...lol.. I guess RCTech hasn't changed a bit. I'll go back to trolling...lol...
I agree with you that was the point I was trying to make. If you start foam again and just leave it open tire why would the end result be any different this time.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Ahhh, sorry Sean...lol... I thought you just meant foam tire TC in general.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chubbspeterson
Yep must back up Josh on this, 100% correct, if "we" try and do this we have to set up some solid rules if you will to keep the same thing from happening again. Already with just the rumors of this happening I have even fallen subject to finding the 35 shore and lower foams. why can't we just spec it like the world GT tires or something to that effect? I know in the past the Grandslam race did that, but due to the huge depart from foam to rubber that only lasted one season. I vote for something like this again, at the least, make an agreement to run say 40 shore or purple, at the least. Even at that most people will at least try a purple/purple setup, and everyone works with that.
Agreed totally. The WGT tires aren't really ideal for the class, and honestly that's part of what makes the class interesting. Tuning the car rather than just throwing different compounds can be challenging. Plus with the ridiculous amount of tuning options available on modern TC's, you should be able to hook 'em up on 50 shore nitro foam. Worst case scenario would be the cars end up handling like rubber tire cars
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

no matter what the compound or brand, people have to run 3 quals and a main on 3 sets of tires. so it makes it tough to have one runs

let's be realistic, this class was meant to be fun.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kingbee9
no matter what the compound or brand, people have to run 3 quals and a main on 3 sets of tires. so it makes it tough to have one runs

let's be realistic, this class was meant to be fun.
It was always fun, it just got a bit expensive.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by miller tyme
IF ya'll travel we will reconsider but last yeah the second and 4th leg only had 3, counting John peoples
I will be running the series...depending on work.. Please KEEP WGT
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scootr117
I will be running the series...depending on work.. Please KEEP WGT
ditto...
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I love the idea of foam TC coming back. In fact, I would be inclined to make it one of my main focuses if it would regain popularity on a national level.

I do have to agree that spec tire seems to be a good idea, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.