R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #46
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

It may be time to put back together the old foam cars... If I come and race, I'm running purples or something in that range (37 shore+). We started TC racing on Purple and Purple/Orange fronts until it went softer and softer till we had 1 run pinks or magentas peeling a part. 50mm wheel with tires cut to 2.18" would last 4 runs of "break in" and then would stop hiking and were good from 2.10-2.14". Below 2.10" they started to slide around but you could still get around the track. I ran 8-12 runs on a set before the sliding set in.

Pit Shimizu 20D's were the most dialed carpet TC rubber tire but I don't see them being raced due to their short life. I think if everyone wants to seriously bring back foam TC they need to seriously think about this and use the adjustments (like they do on rubber cars). Stop making 1 run tires the "must have".
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #47
AE-Reedy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

It's amazing people watched foam tire mod die and they want to repeat the process again.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #48
Tech Master
 
Xpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dirt sucks!
Posts: 1,613
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
It's amazing people watched foam tire mod die and they want to repeat the process again.
+1
__________________
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #49
Tech Addict
 
Lessen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 594
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen
Default

Wow. Fantastic info for someone like myself. Thanks!
__________________
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. "
Lessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #50
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

Sean - Nice to see the optimisim...lol.. I guess RCTech hasn't changed a bit. I'll go back to trolling...lol...
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #51
Tech Addict
 
chubbspeterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ridgemont
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
It may be time to put back together the old foam cars... If I come and race, I'm running purples or something in that range (37 shore+). We started TC racing on Purple and Purple/Orange fronts until it went softer and softer till we had 1 run pinks or magentas peeling a part. 50mm wheel with tires cut to 2.18" would last 4 runs of "break in" and then would stop hiking and were good from 2.10-2.14". Below 2.10" they started to slide around but you could still get around the track. I ran 8-12 runs on a set before the sliding set in.

Pit Shimizu 20D's were the most dialed carpet TC rubber tire but I don't see them being raced due to their short life. I think if everyone wants to seriously bring back foam TC they need to seriously think about this and use the adjustments (like they do on rubber cars). Stop making 1 run tires the "must have".
Yep must back up Josh on this, 100% correct, if "we" try and do this we have to set up some solid rules if you will to keep the same thing from happening again. Already with just the rumors of this happening I have even fallen subject to finding the 35 shore and lower foams. why can't we just spec it like the world GT tires or something to that effect? I know in the past the Grandslam race did that, but due to the huge depart from foam to rubber that only lasted one season. I vote for something like this again, at the least, make an agreement to run say 40 shore or purple, at the least. Even at that most people will at least try a purple/purple setup, and everyone works with that.
__________________
Mike Demone
7-Eleven, National Accounts Manager
Ridgemont, CA, 90026
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #52
Tech Addict
 
chubbspeterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ridgemont
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann View Post
Man, was I sure good at this. Even Fairtrace was intrigued ...

Love how TJ gets the girl to hold his ride....simply TJ......
__________________
Mike Demone
7-Eleven, National Accounts Manager
Ridgemont, CA, 90026
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #53
AE-Reedy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Sean - Nice to see the optimisim...lol.. I guess RCTech hasn't changed a bit. I'll go back to trolling...lol...
I agree with you that was the point I was trying to make. If you start foam again and just leave it open tire why would the end result be any different this time.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #54
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

Ahhh, sorry Sean...lol... I thought you just meant foam tire TC in general.
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #55
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbspeterson View Post
Yep must back up Josh on this, 100% correct, if "we" try and do this we have to set up some solid rules if you will to keep the same thing from happening again. Already with just the rumors of this happening I have even fallen subject to finding the 35 shore and lower foams. why can't we just spec it like the world GT tires or something to that effect? I know in the past the Grandslam race did that, but due to the huge depart from foam to rubber that only lasted one season. I vote for something like this again, at the least, make an agreement to run say 40 shore or purple, at the least. Even at that most people will at least try a purple/purple setup, and everyone works with that.
Agreed totally. The WGT tires aren't really ideal for the class, and honestly that's part of what makes the class interesting. Tuning the car rather than just throwing different compounds can be challenging. Plus with the ridiculous amount of tuning options available on modern TC's, you should be able to hook 'em up on 50 shore nitro foam. Worst case scenario would be the cars end up handling like rubber tire cars
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #56
Tech Regular
 
kingbee9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: oHIo
Posts: 315
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

no matter what the compound or brand, people have to run 3 quals and a main on 3 sets of tires. so it makes it tough to have one runs

let's be realistic, this class was meant to be fun.
__________________
Brian Wedge
www.ashfordhobby.com
NORCAR R/C Racing at The Gate
www.norcarracing.com
kingbee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #57
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee9 View Post
no matter what the compound or brand, people have to run 3 quals and a main on 3 sets of tires. so it makes it tough to have one runs

let's be realistic, this class was meant to be fun.
It was always fun, it just got a bit expensive.
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #58
Tech Fanatic
 
scootr117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On a Stage or Stand somewhere
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
IF ya'll travel we will reconsider but last yeah the second and 4th leg only had 3, counting John peoples
I will be running the series...depending on work.. Please KEEP WGT
__________________
Scooter EXperimental
RK Designs
CD SuperPro Motors
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #59
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
I will be running the series...depending on work.. Please KEEP WGT
ditto...
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #60
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I love the idea of foam TC coming back. In fact, I would be inclined to make it one of my main focuses if it would regain popularity on a national level.

I do have to agree that spec tire seems to be a good idea, though.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net