Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Trinity Motors I've had it with these pieces of CRAP!!!! >

Trinity Motors I've had it with these pieces of CRAP!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity Motors I've had it with these pieces of CRAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 03:07 AM
tornado

Guys....machine wind stockers tend to have a dud or two here and there...if you got one its bad luck thats all....I have my share of the experience too with Tamiya super stock motor. Fried one the 3rd run. Well done too. I would go for another one 'cos the performance is good. At one time...Yokomo super stock motor armature tend to fry too. Dunno 'bout now...haven't try one yet.

Bryan

Old 07-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

To me it seems that trinity went hog wild with RPM after the P2k2 .

I had a P2k2 recently come in that had the magnets out of it. not very happy about that but it was replaced by the motor tuner ( Paradigm ).

I have run MVPs and tuned them according to Big Jim's specs and they work quite well. I even lent one to a guy to run in his 1/12 scale and he was right there with the other guys running monsters. Only thing is the Magnets are so strong its not an ideal motor for 1/12 scale.

Personally I wish the motors for stock races weren't handouts. I would rather use my own instead of some motor that I have no experience on or worse bad experience with. To me i always get a kick out of manufacturers whose motor is the handout motor saying " We are the stock so so and champion! " , well if it was a handout motor, you better be the champ in that race!

From what I understand Big Jim is not a consultant for trinity, so I am hoping his input will get them to get some better quality magnets in those motors as well as a more balanced powerband for there stock motors.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DA_cookie_monst
As far as I know, the ROAR regulations are the same as the BRCA regulations here in the UK for stock motors.
4 Magnets are legal in Brca stock motors but not in Roar stock motors.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Didn't know that, and you can epoxy balance an armature for stock I believe, we got to have ours drilled.

To be honest, I am not overly convinced about Quad Magnets as yet.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Me only use monster stocks every where indoor,outdoor,carpet,polished wood,asphalt.
Have`nt had a problem yet,but when i buy them, i treat them to some TLC & do what Eddie O say`s `gear them properly` then you won`t have a problem.Temperture reads around 145 indoors on carpet,some motors work for certain people others don`t & the worst thing is you have to find out the hard way
Unless you have access to a good forum like this one
Old 07-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

try the new epic roar legal motor it seems like a verry fast motor
it was just as fast as a monstor if not faster
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGSZ1&P=7
Old 07-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MR JOLLY
Have`nt had a problem yet,but when i buy them, i treat them to some TLC & do what Eddie O say`s `gear them properly` then you won`t have a problem.
Trinity/Epic motors need alot of effort to get them running at their full potential. Most of them are a mess out of the packet.

DA_cookie_monst - Roar doesn't allow epoxy balancing for stockers.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Cain
To me it seems that trinity went hog wild with RPM after the P2k2 .

I had a P2k2 recently come in that had the magnets out of it. not very happy about that but it was replaced by the motor tuner ( Paradigm ).

I have run MVPs and tuned them according to Big Jim's specs and they work quite well. I even lent one to a guy to run in his 1/12 scale and he was right there with the other guys running monsters. Only thing is the Magnets are so strong its not an ideal motor for 1/12 scale.

Personally I wish the motors for stock races weren't handouts. I would rather use my own instead of some motor that I have no experience on or worse bad experience with. To me i always get a kick out of manufacturers whose motor is the handout motor saying " We are the stock so so and champion! " , well if it was a handout motor, you better be the champ in that race!

From what I understand Big Jim is not a consultant for trinity, so I am hoping his input will get them to get some better quality magnets in those motors as well as a more balanced powerband for there stock motors.
Actually, there is at least one major race that DOES allow you to bring your own motors, the Novak US Touring Car Championships in Milwaukee. Granted, it's only a non-sanctioned race that's for TC's only, but still, it IS a big event & I've always been able to run whichever stockers I wanted(& believe me, I've just about tried them ALL there, including the quad-magnet Binary, but so far I think the Monster seems the easiest to use there). So when you hear or see an ad saying "We have the stock motor that won the Novak TC Champs" they're not kidding.....
Old 07-31-2004, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i think that is the problem most people have with stock motors, gearing. ive worn arms and bushes out in 3 meetings from over gearing, not to mention they cook up. another thing that will destroy motors is your setup. if your car holds heaps of corner speed the motor doesnt have to work so hard to pull it out of corners, and the motor wont cook up so mutch. ive seen a couple of p2k2s lose magnets but never a monster.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dontfeelcold
i think that is the problem most people have with stock motors, gearing. ive worn arms and bushes out in 3 meetings from over gearing, not to mention they cook up. another thing that will destroy motors is your setup. if your car holds heaps of corner speed the motor doesnt have to work so hard to pull it out of corners, and the motor wont cook up so mutch. ive seen a couple of p2k2s lose magnets but never a monster.
Very good point, gearing is a personal thing. If your extremely smooth you can get away with much higher rollouts. I know people that run rollouts 5mm higher then mine at my local track. I've been running my monster and BS for a few months now and they havn't given me any trouble at all. Still much quicker then my Mvp and much easier to tune and gear.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

what rollout have you been gearing your monsters at fatdoggy
Old 07-31-2004, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Customer service

When the Paradox motor first came out, my local track got what was most likely the first released motors. They threw magnets faster than you could put them in. I bought 3 motors on the day they arrived and threw a magnet 25' into my first practice lap.

I wrote Trinity a 3 page letter outlining what had occurred, and a detailed technical evaluation of what I had found in that motor. I also had several reommendations on how it could be fixed.

Basic issues came down to this: 1) No mechanical features to center and retain the magnets and 2) Magnet had only about 20% of its surface glued.

I sent in all three motors as they all had severe problems, along with my letter.

What I got in return was rather disappointing from a customer-relations standpoint. They sent me three new motors, but no written response. Not even a Trinity sticker, just three motors in a box.

I had put several hours of work into that letter and included some drawings and a very professional tech eval and recommendations.

I like Trinity products, and many of my race-friends are big-dog Trinity racers. Trinity has the fastest stock motors, no doubt.

But I think that the quality control needs to be increased alittle and customer service could be greatly improved.

More glue and a form letter isn't much to ask.....

Just my .02.

Last edited by Graphitedust; 07-31-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dontfeelcold
what rollout have you been gearing your monsters at fatdoggy
Generally 25-27mm. A pic of the track is below so can get an idea of the size.

http://www.rctrack.com/images/facility/track1.jpg
Old 07-31-2004, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Originally posted by fatdoggy
Very good point, gearing is a personal thing. If your extremely smooth you can get away with much higher rollouts. I know people that run rollouts 5mm higher then mine at my local track. I've been running my monster and BS for a few months now and they havn't given me any trouble at all. Still much quicker then my Mvp and much easier to tune and gear.
stupid question.... WHAT'S ROLLOUT?

- JayBee
Old 07-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

JayBee - Rollout is how far your car moves per 1 revolution of the motor.

Rollout - (tire diameter x 3.14) / (Final drive ratio)

Rubber tire guys can just use final drive ratios, but anybody who runs foams needs to use rollouts so they can find the right gear ratio for the diameter tires they are running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.