R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
vafactor
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funky
I tried searching for this problem, but it is so hard to find specific info in these threads. Sorry if this has already been covered, I figure it has since I have 3 different cars with the same problem

I have a CRC 3.2R, 12R5.1 and 12L4 that all have the same problem keeping the left hub tight on the axle. No matter how hard I tighten the screw in the left hub, it eventually develops a little bit of side-to-side slop which ruins the handling. The faster my lap times are getting, the quicker I am working these left hubs loose.... and it is happening on all three 1/12s I am running Are there any good tricks for keeping the left hub tight on the axle?? The screw is not coming loose and it has always been tight when I checked it, but the hub will eventually move enough to cause ~1mm of play.
I find that the clamping hub's little allen bolt often doesn't do a good job of applying force to squeeze the hub on the axle if the bolt is installed dry. It seems to help if you put a dab of grease on the underside of the bolt's head. Somehow, adding a little lube to this area allows you to get more pulling force on that bolt without straining either the threads in the hub or the allen recess in the bolt. Obviously you don't want any of this lube on the axle or the inside bore of the hub. But some lubricant on the pinchbolt itself does seem to help it to thread in easier and to squeeze the clamping hub tighter on the axle. Since i've been doing this, my clamping hubs have been staying put. Also adding a little lubricant to the bolt seems to help to make both the hub and the little pinchbolt last indefinitely.