R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
any insight as to standing a shock up vs laying a shock down on the rear of a mini? what performance differences should one expect?
A seemingly innocent inquiry by one of the premier Mini pilots in the country. But, not really so, cause the M05, reacts rather oddly to changing shock positions. You would think that laying a shock over would soften the shock action, but it doesn't seem to react that way on the 05 on the front. Oddly the stock position seemed to drive as if it were the stiffest even though it is the most layer over. For the shocks, oils and springs being used at that time, the car itself reacted best in the second hole on the option shock tower.

I had just started to play with the new rear shock tower and using the M06 hinge pin. This as you know gives you a much wider shock position, but requires a longer shock. This combo gave me one of the most stable, locked down Minis, I have ever driven. Unfortunately, I never could run a good lap time with it. Then I got sick.

To your ????, I don't know cause for me, the 05 never reacted in a predictable fashion. I finally had to go to the let's try this and see what the heck happens. By the way, nice going at the Regional here. I heard you were TQ, but had to leave before the Mains.