Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie setup resources

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Newbie setup resources

I have heard the terms droop, sag, rollout, etc used but cannot find the definitions or how these are measured. I do understand camber, caster and toe. What resources, books, web sites etc. are out there for us beginners to comprehend these terms and how to measure and what effects they have on the handling of our cars. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this at so please bear with me. Thanks for any direction you can provide so I can obtain this knowledge and the necessary tools and equiptment. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

www.competitionx.com has a pretty good guide for what you are looking for. The most common setup tools are:
- Setup board (anything that is completely flat)
- Setup station (measures camber, castor, and toe)
- Droop guage and ride height gauge
- Tweak station

Hope this helps
Old 01-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

www.xxxmain.com sells a setup guide thats for touring cars. Writen by Martin Chrisp a top Canadian Tamiya driver. It has endorsments from many other pro drivers such as Josh Cyrl. Setup guide is universal and not writen around one particular chassis

Also Xray/Hudy sell a guide thats also very good. ITs geared towards the xray cars but the info is universal.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot for the info. Tonite I will visit the sites and attempt to educate myself as best as possible. I appreciate the responses given as I know all your time is valuable. Happy crashfree driving.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tn350z
Thanks a lot for the info. Tonite I will visit the sites and attempt to educate myself as best as possible. I appreciate the responses given as I know all your time is valuable. Happy crashfree driving.
Do you race at So Cal? If you do, you might ask in the So Cal thread in the racing forum.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Setups

Well if you want a basic listing of most of the following the new Febuary issue of Xtreme RC Car has a pretty good section on basic Tc terms and defintions. A good read if you are just getting a handle on this stuff. You might even just thumb through this section the next time your in a magazine store. They cover Anti-dive, anti-squat, Bump-steer, Ackerman, Spring preload and some other misc. stuff. Like I said a good read if your new.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Broke car last nite at socal and stopped by the lhs and picked up a few parts and the magizines you spoke of. Yes that does help. Also I want to get the xxx-main setup book/manual which probably will give me further insight. Now is there a big difference in quality/accuracy/ease is set up systems? ie, Hudy or Integy etc? What do you guys recommend and why. Thanks again for your paitence with me and any suggestions.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Check out http://users.pandora.be/elvo/