Search

Help me decide on 1st buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Help me decide on 1st buggy

Hello,

New here...coming "back" into the hobby after many decades. Back in the 80s, as a kid, I had a Tamiya Hotshot 2 and loved it. Later in life now, I want to get back into this exciting hobby. I'm stuck on what to get and need some help/advice. Because I am starting, basically fresh, I don't want to get overwhelmed with complex kits but also know that I may be bored with the basic/entry level cars fast. I am nostalgic as you can imagine so the re-released Tamiya cars are exciting to me. Does anyone think that either of the Tamiya old-school kits like the Frog, Grasshopper, etc can offer me to excitement of the hobby and allow me to upgrade if I choose?

For example, my initial research says that any of those cars may not handle the latest (not greatest) motors (brushless) and LiPo batteris between a combination of cheap (plastic) parts and design (rounded corners for batter for example). Thoughts?

Also, besides cars, I will need to buy everything else but I don't want to have to buy multiple radios for example. Is there one that I can grow into that may be too much for the Tamiya's but just right for a TLR or Team Associated in the future? For example, sticks like the new Futaba 3PV or other similarly priced (~$100) radios? Will something like that work w/ the old school cars too?

And can someone explain what the 3rd channel would be used for in cars? I am confused about that but know the 3 channel is typical in the move advanced rc cars.

I have plenty more Q's but this is a good start. I appreciate any and all advice. Or if you think there is another kit similar to the old Tamiya's (in price and difficulty), please let me know. No RTRs though.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

First off I'd ask where are you going to be running your buggy? Indoor, outdoor, clay, Astro?

Second I'd say, buy a kit.. get a newer model that is made for your track type.

Thirdly, I use the 3pv and it's working great for me. I have three different rides set up in it.

And finally... that third channel can power a transponder or fan for when you start using them...
Old 10-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Thrifty
First off I'd ask where are you going to be running your buggy? Indoor, outdoor, clay, Astro?

Second I'd say, buy a kit.. get a newer model that is made for your track type.

Thirdly, I use the 3pv and it's working great for me. I have three different rides set up in it.

And finally... that third channel can power a transponder or fan for when you start using them...
Good question that I failed to state. The easy answer is I don't know. I think at the beginning I'll be running it everywhere I can, from my street or other hard surfaces to the local baseball field. Eventually, I'd like to go on the dirt or clay track because I am lucky enough to have 2 within 1 hr of me.

So a newer model? I'm assuming that's because I will grow tired of the Tamiya's very quickly?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience moding the classic Tamiya's to today's accessories?

Thanks for explaining the 3rd channel.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Lastly, doing a bit of further research has yielded a bunch of stuff online, at this forum and others, of people modding the re-release Tamiya's, some easy and some difficult. It seems to me if nostalgia (and price) beats out performance, then Tamiya is it. If not, I will need to look at more contemporary kits. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Some tracks have vintage classes. I personally would go with an rc10 worlds if I was buying a rerelease kit. It can handle brushless with no mods.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well...I think I've narrowed it down to two of the Tamiya re-releases, either the Frog or the Hot Shot. Two different cars (and price points) but the Frog because I have found many more cool mods available for that car (as opposed to HS) and HS because it brings back great memories (albeit I had HS2). I have found some mods for that too and parts from abroad. I'm also thinking that the 4WD of the HS may handle more contemporary motors better but I am not sure.

Once I get the first car built and played with and some experience under my belt, my goal is to move into one of the contemporary racers. Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your local tracks have shops attached, go down there to see what they stock. Otherwise, talk to people and check out what others are running at the tracks. This will make it a lot easier to get replacement parts or to find a good setup for the car if you do decide to drive at the track or race.

If you get a Tamiya, it will always be a retro car. I think you'd be better off not trying to modify it, as you'll be able to pour lots of $$ in struggling to get near the performance of any kit from the last 10 years.

I'd suggest either get the Tamiya and a modern buggy, or if you only buy one just start out with something like a Team Associated B6d, TLR 22, XRAY XB2. These cars all have mid-motor designs, which keeps the weight low and centred in the car. This is quite a big design and performance change that you could spend forever chasing in the Tamiya.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mushroomed
If your local tracks have shops attached, go down there to see what they stock. Otherwise, talk to people and check out what others are running at the tracks. This will make it a lot easier to get replacement parts or to find a good setup for the car if you do decide to drive at the track or race.

If you get a Tamiya, it will always be a retro car. I think you'd be better off not trying to modify it, as you'll be able to pour lots of $$ in struggling to get near the performance of any kit from the last 10 years.

I'd suggest either get the Tamiya and a modern buggy, or if you only buy one just start out with something like a Team Associated B6d, TLR 22, XRAY XB2. These cars all have mid-motor designs, which keeps the weight low and centred in the car. This is quite a big design and performance change that you could spend forever chasing in the Tamiya.
I completely agree. You'll be way farther ahead to get a B6d than trying to pour money into a Tamiya.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you all for your comments. I completely agree. However, I think nostalgia will win. But what I am hearing is not put too much money into modding it and just enjoy it for what it's worth. Then move on to a better performing car....

It that's the plan, my thought is to get better radio, receiver, etc so they can be applied to the new car. I don't want to buy those many times over.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sounds like a well thought out plan with the electronics, in the end the cars are the cheap bit compared with all of the radio gear, batteries, charger, motor, esc, tools, etc. I was running a 3PV with my B6D (until all my gear was stolen recently) and it will work great with the older car and has all the necessary features for racing too.

Post up pics of whatever you do get, it is great to see those Tamiya classics. I think the Super Hornet was one of the first 1/10 buggies I ever saw in a shop as a kid.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I went through this last year when deciding how to get my son int the hobby. I wanted to get a Grasshopper(my first RC) and build it with him but a lot of racing buddies reminded my of things like the plastic chassis breaking and such. Since the focus was really on driving and having fun, I ended up getting him a 2wd Slash. It's durable and he loves it.

There's nothing wrong with a Tamiya but just know that it'll never hit the track and that $ is just going for nostalgia. A kit isn't an easy undertaking. It's easy to build, but it's also easy to build incorrectly. If you intend to race, get a race capable kit. If not, consider an RTR like the AE/TLR ones. It's not the latest platform but you could at least race it, unlike the Tamiya's.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all for your responses.

As I continue to think about this and doing more research, the primary reason is a way to easily get into the hobby, not the racing (yet) but the knowledge, tinkering, building, etc of it. What better way to do it then w/ something I am nostalgic about?

Once I get that urge out of the way, I know the bug and desire will hit me to upgrade and start being more competitive. I have no problems taking the first step. I will be honest, it is much more fun looking at the top end competition buggies then the old Tamiya's....
Old 10-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howaboutme
Thanks all for your responses.

As I continue to think about this and doing more research, the primary reason is a way to easily get into the hobby, not the racing (yet) but the knowledge, tinkering, building, etc of it. What better way to do it then w/ something I am nostalgic about?

Once I get that urge out of the way, I know the bug and desire will hit me to upgrade and start being more competitive. I have no problems taking the first step. I will be honest, it is much more fun looking at the top end competition buggies then the old Tamiya's....
There is plenty of fun to have off the track..Me and a buddy just got done running out MT trucks through the neighborhood..I also have three jumps set up in my driveway and we had a blast as always
Old 11-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Question all..since we are so close to black friday/cyber monday, can someone tell me what kind of deals we can typically get? Do companies allow below standard MAP pricing on anything from kits to accessories? I'm trying to see if patience will pay off. I've waited this long, what's another 3 weeks? A quick search mostly yields old sales listing a certain percentage or dollar value off your total order or some incentives for future purchases (which is fine) but not much in terms of lower MAP.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default go with what u can get parts for localy

I would go with what u can get parts for at the local track or local hobby shop. We like the B5M and the B6 buggies. If you are going at it hard core go with the newest and the best you can get B6. Or if you are going to just get back in the groove and be calm you can pick up a real nice B5M with lots of upgrades worth the money and run with the field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.