Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin Pro 2 kv

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tekin Pro 2 kv

Hello I just bought an sc5m today and I wanted to put in a tekin pro2 with an rx8 gen 2. Ill be running 2s on carpet and heard that these are the most powerful motors you can drop into your 2wd sc. My quesiton is, what is the best kv to get this motor in for my application? I dont see anyone needing the power of the 5100. You'd be pulling wheelies all day on carpet. I myself havent seen anyone use a pro 2 and there hardly and reviews anywhere.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am pretty sure everyone will agree that a 4-pole motor is too much for a 2wd. Most everyone I know runs a 2-pole 8.5-7.5 motor for racing.
As far as the esc I believe the RS Gen2 is good for the 8.5-7.5 motor. You could run a RSX if you wanted better cooling.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

i know what yo mean but ive seen 7.5's on clay and they werent that fast. i do have the hotwire so ill just turn it down if i have to
Old 06-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

"Fast" on a track is what produces the fastest lap times, not what looks "fast".

Nobody uses a 4-pole motor in a 2wd vehicle for real/organized racing. First, they're not technically a legal/approved motor, even for a mod class. Second, the way they deliver power means even a turned-down one isn't the smoothest thing on the track and getting that fast lap time will be way harder than just starting with a 7.5-8.5 before moving to something like a 6.5 for carpet racing.

Those motors are made for someone who wants to see how fast they can get a Slash going in front of their house, not for track-based racing. In other words, there are reasons:
Originally Posted by xfbaap
I myself havent seen anyone use a pro 2 and there hardly and reviews anywhere.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm also looking at a Pro2 (for dirt oval racing) on a really high grip surface. I have a Tekin RS & Gen 2 8.5T and its not fast enough at all, compared to the top guys running bigger and/or 4-pole motors. Our "Pro Mod" class has no restrictions on motors.

I also want to datalog my runs. So I have to get another ESC too. I'm looking at the RX8/Pro2 5100kv combo. When I look at the specs of the RSX esc, it doesn't run 4-pole motors. So I just picked up a used RX8 gen 2. Now I'm looking for opinions from those who have run the Pro2 motors of any kv rating and what you guys think.

As a side note, I run a Pro4 4600kv in my SCTE 4x4 and it rips! So I'm curious if the Pro2 5100kv will be too much in a 2WD oval truck.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GNARKILL1332
TEKIN RS, 8.5T GEN 2 REDLINE..... THIS IS THE PERFECT SETUP FOR WIEGHT AND POWER...
This isn't even close in my class. The top half of the field runs 4-pole motors and damn near run me over in the straights. I just picked up a used 6.5T (some guys run 4.5-5.5). If that isn't enough, I'll have to get a 4-pole to have a chance at beating the fastest guys. Looks like the Pro2 4100kv might be a better choice now than the 5100kv. Looking for feedback from guys that run the Pro2.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2FST4GM
This isn't even close in my class. The top half of the field runs 4-pole motors and damn near run me over in the straights. I just picked up a used 6.5T (some guys run 4.5-5.5). If that isn't enough, I'll have to get a 4-pole to have a chance at beating the fastest guys. Looks like the Pro2 4100kv might be a better choice now than the 5100kv. Looking for feedback from guys that run the Pro2.
Due to the nature of that motor, you probably won't find anyone on here who has legitimate competition use of it to give you the feedback you want. Given what you want to use it for, try re-posting your question here: http://www.dirtoval.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20