Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Beginner R/C Brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Default Best Beginner R/C Brands

Let's just start off, I am no beginner, so this thread will be someplace for those who are beginners to be redirected to.....

So what are the best beginner R/C brands?

Here are a few popular ones for newbies:

ECX (Formerly Electrix RC)
http://www.ecxrc.com
They have been around for quite some time now, specializing in beginner cars, primarily electric. My LHS is now carrying tons of parts for them, and the owner says that they are a pretty good competitior with Traxxas. From a price perspective their models are outstanding, and they have a pretty high top-end speed wise.

Traxxas:
https://m.traxxas.com
The Traxxas "beginner" series (rustler, bandit, stampede, slash) are great all around trucks, for newbies and more experienced hobbyists alike. However, they are somewhat outdated, as most of them have only had electronics and paint jobs updated since the 90's. They are a little heavy when it comes to racing, and the CG of the stampede and slash is jacked up really high in the air, which sacrifices handling.

Arrma:
http://www.arrma-rc.com
A newer brand, originally selling beginner-level cars, but nowadays they are well known for pioneering the 6s RTR 8th scale, in the form of the Kraton, Talion, and Typhon. This brand is known for durability, but if you do break something, the parts you need to fix it most likely won't be hanging on the pegs at your local hobby shop. Most of their beginner series use a TVP design, which is a little awkward but it does increase durability as we know about the savage trucks.

HPI Racing
http://hpiracing.world
The new Jumpshot series from HPI has become very popular, and more versions are being released in different types of vehicles. For everyone in Europe, HPI is a great option since it is an international company (pretty sure) like Arrma and ECX, there are minimal hobby shops that carry the parts here in the US.

Helion:
http://helion-rc.com
Primarily availible at HobbyTown USAs across America, the Helion brand has been like many other smaller brands, hoping to get into the beginner game, like Arrma and ECX.
They have been doing pretty well, but if you don't live anywhere near a HobbyTown, stay away. Parts really aren't availible anywhere else except for online in specific places.

DHK Hobby:
http://www.dhkhobby.com/index.asp
Another brand trying to win you over at the beginner level. They have been recently advertising in RCDriver and Radio Control Car Action magazines. Like Helion, there are little places to find parts, and they don't have a suupporting hobby shop.

Aftermarket:
1. Traxxas
2. HPI
3. ECX
4. Arrma
5. Helion
6. DHK

Part Support:
1. Traxxas
2. ECX
3. HPI
4. Arrma
5. Helion
6. DHK

Popularity:
1. Traxxas
2. HPI
3. Arrma
4. ECX
5. Helion
6. DHK

Average Price: (low to high)
1. DHK
2. ECX
3. Arrma
4. Helion
5. Traxxas
6. HPI

Post which one you think is best, comments, etc. my Info was all of each brand's website. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm moving this to the Rookie forum.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default Traxxas

In my opinion the traxxas cars are the best for all round use. for back yard bashing and young drivers. We really like the Slash for all round use. we do race a couple of slash cars in a short course class. That being said we all know that they have challenges even with upgrades keeping up with the Team Associated cars and others that are built for racing. First car go traxxas they are tough and parts availability is grate.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Kyosho is not bad too.

they have really good RTR for newbies
Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 55Guy
In my opinion the traxxas cars are the best for all round use. for back yard bashing and young drivers. We really like the Slash for all round use. we do race a couple of slash cars in a short course class. That being said we all know that they have challenges even with upgrades keeping up with the Team Associated cars and others that are built for racing. First car go traxxas they are tough and parts availability is grate.

Agreed. Traxxas is great for bashers, not the best for racers though.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

I was never the Chevy type guy, I hate going with the trends. When all the guys back in the day were buying Camaros/Chevelles I bought a Challenger.

But, it is hard to argue against getting a Slash if you want to bash and go to the track for just fun. Parts are at any HT.

I have had thoughts about playing around with a SCT on the cheap and the Torment, and even Tower's Cutback have been getting my eye...

I run a Typhon at my track and it is a worthy buggy at club racing level. I do carry one of everything, but the arms hubs and towers from the DEX8 fit, and same parts from Mugen MBX also fit, so parts aren't as bad as could be. But I go for practice day fun and cut up with my friends who drive SCTs and they enjoy teaming up on the ebuggy and trying to push me off.

Since I have been at the track every week lately I do see a lot of the dad and kid coming there, new to RC, with a Slash or Revo(Or even worse, some MT like a emaxx or similar), planning to race and tear around the track(indoor clay). Harsh reality gives dad a sour face almost every time, and they don't usually return. It is a bitter pill when the guy at HT told you how awesome it was and then learn that it will never be a racer. Selling off and starting over suck when the investment and loss of selling used isn't minor. Or, upgrading a Slash until almost nothing that came in the box remains, and it still will never be a Tekno, Associated, TLR, or TD SCT that were developed to race on the track. :/
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default ECX

I picked up a 1/10 ecx amp for roughly 200 bucks, upgraded the drive gear and bought a 7 cell 5000 nimh battery and now the thing flies. Easly takes my buddies traxxis with his titan 550 12 turn.. which apparently is a very popular engine in the 1/10 brushed motor scene. He also paid 350 for his truck which is breaking parts left and right.. where as my ecx just keeps taking a beating. So for about 300 in total on my ecx.. I've got a truck that's faster, breaks better, handles better, and is tons more durable than the famous traxxis... every week I'm putting a few more bucks into truck loving it more and more as I slowly mod it up.. meanwhilE my bud is spending a few bucks every week just try to keep his truck running...
ECX for the win.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Music411
I picked up a 1/10 ecx amp for roughly 200 bucks, upgraded the drive gear and bought a 7 cell 5000 nimh battery and now the thing flies. Easly takes my buddies traxxis with his titan 550 12 turn.. which apparently is a very popular engine in the 1/10 brushed motor scene. He also paid 350 for his truck which is breaking parts left and right.. where as my ecx just keeps taking a beating. So for about 300 in total on my ecx.. I've got a truck that's faster, breaks better, handles better, and is tons more durable than the famous traxxis... every week I'm putting a few more bucks into truck loving it more and more as I slowly mod it up.. meanwhilE my bud is spending a few bucks every week just try to keep his truck running...
ECX for the win.

Agreed. But did you know ECX amps cost 130 bucks rtr? If you paid 200 you got ripped off my friend.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcGuy13
Agreed. But did you know ECX amps cost 130 bucks rtr? If you paid 200 you got ripped off my friend.
That sucks , and now for the good news....
Old 05-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Looking at the EXC AMP buggy.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...dID=ECX03029T2

Just for general bashing. Any input on it? Second choice would be the traxxas 1/10 bandit.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/.../24054-1bandit
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default ECX

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
That sucks , and now for the good news....
I do know that.. but up here in Canada at my local shop it retailed for 150.. + plus tax.. so just for quick math I said 200... and the amp I have takes a Hella beating... I'm new to the hobby and not the best at handling my truck.. there's many times I've been cringing on impact being sure I was going to break a part... and still haven't... I would highly recommend this to anyone as a great starter truck as it can take a beating.. performance wise out of the box it can get stale quick.. but upgrades are cheap.. my drive gear was like 4 bucks.. and 50 for a good battery and this thing destroys my buds traxxis out of box like I said.. I also ordered an hpi 15t engine this week as it comes highly regarded next to the titan 12t 550.. again only another like 14 bucks... a few guys I know that are heavy into rc can't believe the cost of this truck in terms of value.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Also....
Racing companies like associated, Losi, kyosho, serpent, X-ray etc could have rtrs based off their top end kits.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Also....
Racing companies like associated, Losi, kyosho, serpent, X-ray etc could have rtrs based off their top end kits.
I just picked up a pair of RTR rc8.2e buggys for my 2 oldest sons and they have bashed the crap out of them while learning to race on our track. We are very pleased with the durability & performance they pack!!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Also....
If your a beginner getting into the hobby with the sole intention of racing, then these are the brands that you start with. I can't count the amount of times I've seen a frustrated beginner show up at the track with a basher brand and realize that the car/truck they spent all their money on isn't going to be raceable. (slash trucks are they only exclusion here).
Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Anybody wants to tell me why Tamiya isn't on that list? I'm very new to RC, and I thought the TT02 to be a very appropriate kit for a beginner. Everything is well explained, and parts are easy to install. Then again, I'm no pro, so I'm actually just curious on everyone's take on the TT02's absence from that list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.