Community
Wiki Posts
Search

xxx-t problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Nice find Duratrax!

I agree, that motor will get you moving in a hurry. The ESC is low budget, but it serves it's purpose. Check eBay for some good quality ESC's. I got a GT7 here on RCTech for $65, and another guy from TPR sent me here to look for another one, which I bought for $60. Both prices include shipping...so you can find some really good deals. Just search the feedback forum to make sure the guys are for real before you send them any money, you wouldn't want to get burned. This holds especially true for used electronic's. They can be extra finicky, so you want to make sure that the guy you're buying from is honest and true to his word. Not to mention when something does go wrong, it's nice to know that the person you bought the stuff from has got your back.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, so the factory novac ESC is only good for the origonal trinity 19t motor right?

now you say that the duratrax ESC is budget, does that mean its crap and ill burn it up or is it just old school technology?

with that trinity 13t motor will i lose acceleration? and roughly what top end would i be looking at?

thaks for all the help guys!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

They can be extra finicky, so you want to make sure that the guy you're buying from is honest and true to his word. Not to mention when something does go wrong, it's nice to know that the person you bought the stuff from has got your back.
Excellent point.

The factory ESC is supposed to handle motors down to 15 turns. Duratax said he has seen it burn up with motors that are only 17 turns. Bottom line is it's not intended for serious racing or high powered motors.

Duratrax ESCs are actually pretty good. I like to look at Duratrax products like a knock-off brand company. They make alot of products that have a lot of the great features of the popular name brands, but not the high price. Just because it's considered budget does not mean it's crap. The Streak is a very nice and reliable ESC. There are a few people who race at my track and use the Streak.

You will not lose accelleration by any means. I think it will blow you away compared to what you're using now. The lower the turn number the faster it is. The Orion motor will give you plenty of punch, i.e. torque, coming off the line, out of corners, etc. It will also give a pretty good top speed, too. Too many variables depend on overall top end like gearing, terrain, etc., but it will certainly get up and move and fast. As the saying goes, "Get in, Sit down, Shut up, and Hold on."
Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

I was the one who said it blew on a 17T.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

DOH! oops...
Old 12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Tech Initiate

thanx for all the help i think that this is the route im going to take i just have 2 more questions

1-is there a duratrax roughly the same price with reverse?

2-what is that traction dial for?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

Here's one capable of 12 turns as well, but it's more expensive. It'll blow your budget of $75 after buying the motor. This one is $65.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAXT9&P=ML

Here's a list of the Duratrax Intellispeed ESCs. Prices and features vary.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ed&FVPROFIL=++

The traction control is to help the car lessen the punch in slippery conditions. If a track does not have a lot of grip, then the traction control will help lower the torque output to the wheels and give a smoother accelleration to compensate for the lack of grip on the track. If you're not into racing, you might not use this feature a whole lot.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by briansid
The traction control is to help the car lessen the punch in slippery conditions. If a track does not have a lot of grip, then the traction control will help lower the torque output to the wheels and give a smoother accelleration to compensate for the lack of grip on the track. If you're not into racing, you might not use this feature a whole lot.
Or maybe you'll use it every time, as you might have a slippery surface to drive on. Personally for me, it is a waste of money, but that is so because I drift so breaking traction is not a problem, it is DESIRABLE!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

I found another ESC that might help with keeping within your budget.

I don't know the quality of it, but I know they're servos are pretty good. I have one.

It's a 10-turn limit ESC for $45.99. Go Here
Old 12-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks anyone else heard of this one?
also do you think the factory 20-88 gearing will be ok for a 13t motor?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schmuck
thanks anyone else heard of this one?
also do you think the factory 20-88 gearing will be ok for a 13t motor?

No. That's too high; try 14/88, should work well.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by briansid
I found another ESC that might help with keeping within your budget.

I don't know the quality of it, but I know they're servos are pretty good. I have one.

It's a 10-turn limit ESC for $45.99. Go Here
That's an okay ESC, but I would much prefer the Streak (I used to own one, actually) You don't exactly need reverse. It has always been known that Forward/brake ESC's operate more smoothly. You can't beat the 3500hz operating frequency and the max. 300A limit of the Streak.