Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New car: 1/10 or 1/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New car: 1/10 or 1/14

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on buying a new car. I currently race with 2 other friends - most of the time on flat concrete surfaces (car parks etc) or in the garden (with no jumps, just flat grass, going round cones).

The cars they have include a Schumacher Kat K1 Aero & Schumacher Cougar SV - both 1/10 scale, both faster than my current car.
So I'm looking for something else, and primarily a fast car over anything else. Taking into account all money spent I'd rather not spend more than £300.
I was looking at buying the Losi Mini-8 RTR AVC:1/14 4WD Buggy. A different smaller scale car yes, but not to expensive and by the looks of it, a fast car.

Does the car scale really matter? We race for fun mainly, so it dosen't matter my scale car is different, & as long as it gets round the track fast I don't see any issue just because it's a different scale car. Our racing dosen't allow cars to push others off the road so the size of the car in that sense isn't an issue. However I do not want it to be flipping or doing wheelies!
I've been advised that this different scale car is a very unwise option... thoughts?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Those are off-road buggies, correct? You'd probably want to stay with 1/10th scale for ground clearance.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Suspended

well a mini8 ot 1/14 will not compete with thos 2 shoes.id suggest a 4wd buggy team c .might look 4 a AE B44..but your budget is low id say those shoes are L500
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

When people say they have a "fast mini", sometimes even faster than 1/10th, they typically mean in a straight line - it's easy to get one of those really moving that way but I've yet to see one that could legitimately hang with the larger cars on corner speed. Since you already have a car, that should mean you already have some re-usable electronics in a different car - perhaps a used 1/10th 4wd buggy will be what you are looking for and could meet your budget as well.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Yep off-road buggies.

Thanks very much you 3 for your advice, I'll stay clear of 1/14.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tddun
Yep off-road buggies.

Thanks very much you 3 for your advice, I'll stay clear of 1/14.
Sounds good. When I typed about ground clearance, I also wanted to mention how much more capable the larger tires of the 1:10 are for going over bumps and stuff vs a smaller diameter 1:14.