Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on the HPI RS4 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Question on the HPI RS4 3

Alright, new here, and have a problem, I recently bought an Hpi RS4 3 R/C Car from a friend, and need to tighten the glow plug. I would take it to a hoby shop, but the closest isn't for about 100 kilometres.

My question is can I do it myself, and what would the spacing be. I'm not sure what glow plugs are, but I'm asuming what spark plugs are to full-size cars. What tools would be required? Any assistance is great, thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

THe only tool you need is a glow plug wrench. There is no gap spacing to be set as in a 1:1 car. Tighten the plug to where you get some resistance then give it a 1/4 turn. If it's too tight, you run the risk of damaging the threads in the button AND it will be very hard to remove it in the future when it needs to be changed.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks bro, does it look like this:
Old 10-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Any 5/16 socket or nut driver will do the trick. If you want a huge "Novella" I wrote about nitro care and maintnence PM me and I can send it to you. I hate to hear about people who accidently destroy their engines by not understanding how they work.

An R/C car isn't like a full size car...maintnence is performed by the user, not the LHS owner. You don't have to worry about voiding any warranties by wrenching on your own car. Without maintnence, your car can and will destroy itself. These motor's "Lose Pinch" after about 3-4 gallons of fuel and require constant tuning (Every 1-2 runs) to keep them running. When your engine "Looses It's Pinch" it's time for either a new engine or a new piston and sleeve. Don't be afraid to take apart your car...it will be worse off if you never touch it than if you try to keep it in top shape.