Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Upgrade Query >

Upgrade Query

Upgrade Query

Old 03-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Upgrade Query

Hi all,

After following multiple conversations, videos, forums, etc, I have a common understanding of the general workings of the average 1/10 scale crawler. However, I am a little confused on a couple points.

I intend my first purchase to be either, SCX10 Honcho, Deadbolt or a Trailfinder II

I assume if I were to purchase a waterproof RTR or a kit with waterproof electronics, I just have to install the appropriate LiPo, and away I go. This of course includes knowing the do's & dont's of LiPo care. Or, are their still components I have to install to accomidate the LiPo.
(I intend on running a 3 cell)

I get foggy when it comes to the when a BEC is required, and what if there is another built-in BEC on another part on the unit? I have to be sure I don't fry it before I take my first run.

I have searched using several combinations of wording and what I have found so far seems to be pretty vague on the requirements and normally all relate to a "brushless" motor, not "brushed". I can't seem to find a video on this specific area. No doubt I have dropped the ball. I'm sure it exists.

I am looking for:
"requirements and instructions for a 1/10 scale, brushed, Off-Road crawler, to be waterproofed and S3 LiPo ready"

Can I be kicked in the right direction guys? ( & girls)

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loosenutz
Hi all,

After following multiple conversations, videos, forums, etc, I have a common understanding of the general workings of the average 1/10 scale crawler. However, I am a little confused on a couple points.

I intend my first purchase to be either, SCX10 Honcho, Deadbolt or a Trailfinder II

I assume if I were to purchase a waterproof RTR or a kit with waterproof electronics, I just have to install the appropriate LiPo, and away I go. This of course includes knowing the do's & dont's of LiPo care. Or, are their still components I have to install to accomidate the LiPo.
(I intend on running a 3 cell)

I get foggy when it comes to the when a BEC is required, and what if there is another built-in BEC on another part on the unit? I have to be sure I don't fry it before I take my first run.

I have searched using several combinations of wording and what I have found so far seems to be pretty vague on the requirements and normally all relate to a "brushless" motor, not "brushed". I can't seem to find a video on this specific area. No doubt I have dropped the ball. I'm sure it exists.

I am looking for:
"requirements and instructions for a 1/10 scale, brushed, Off-Road crawler, to be waterproofed and S3 LiPo ready"

Can I be kicked in the right direction guys? ( & girls)

Thanks!
I own a deadbolt rtr and it is awesome. In hindsight i would have bought a honcho. Just because of the body. Bodies are expensive. I bought corrosion x to waterproof anything that stuff rocks. The bec is needed when you upgrade the servo or use more power. The holmes hobbies bec bypass is key, you plug the servo to bec and bec to reciever the bec powers the servo and the esc runs the radio. Any questions just ask
Old 04-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IMO if you're going to want to be waterproof, you'll want to remain brushed. If you do go brushless, you can not run a sensored motor, as they're not waterproof. Brushed motors are inexpensive, have all the power you need, and are waterproof. I run my Wraith in water, snow, mud, etc and no issues with my motor.

If you're looking to build a crawler, 3S is a lot of juice. You'll get a lot of wheel spin with 3S, so you might want to consider running 2S. See what guys are running in the crawler forums to compare, but I would think 3S in an SCX10 would be too much juice for crawling.

As for running BEC, it's not a "must have" by any means. I'm running an RTR Wraith Poison Spyder with the supplied Castle ESC and it works great. Plasti-dipped it to waterproof it, and she works like a charm!

If you have any questions (or you're ever in Edmonton and want to hit some trails) let me know!