Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? What do I buy?

My 15 year old son is taking an interest in gas r/c vehicles but we don't know what to get. Googling I see things like slashers and bashers... What is all that?

What he wants is a gas r/c for off-roading. He wants to drive just about anywhere (dirt, grass, rocks, sand, etc), be able to jump things, possibly climb obstacles and he wants it to go faster than a remote control car from Wally World.

What I want is CHEAP! I am hoping to walk away with spending $200.00 or less. $250.00 might be my top end, unless there is a good argument to spend more. I will not spend more than $400.00 no matter how good it is. $500.00 and he can buy an old dirt bike and try too kill himself...

Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can tell you anything worth while for a gas R/C your not going to find for $250. But also when you say gas do you mean actual gas or nitro as well?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:52 AM
Tech Rookie

If your son takes particular interest in how a rc engine works and regular vehicle maintenance then nitro or gas rc are a lot of fun. If he is more interested in a plug and play option electric would be what I recommend. A brushless system would give the performance and speed he is looking for. The electric vehicles still require maintenance and in rc parts do break and require replacement no matter what kind of vehicle you get. To be honest to really enjoy the investment 400$ is more of a starting point either way you go. Main reason to spend a little more money on a quality kit is local part support, company customer support and part quality.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies... I think I will tell him no and to find something else for his 15th birthday present. This is too expensive for a kid who will find other things to capture his interest. As it is, he is set on getting a Harley for his 16th birthday... Oy!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BamBamm
My 15 year old son is taking an interest in gas r/c vehicles but we don't know what to get. Googling I see things like slashers and bashers... What is all that?

What he wants is a gas r/c for off-roading. He wants to drive just about anywhere (dirt, grass, rocks, sand, etc), be able to jump things, possibly climb obstacles and he wants it to go faster than a remote control car from Wally World.

What I want is CHEAP! I am hoping to walk away with spending $200.00 or less. $250.00 might be my top end, unless there is a good argument to spend more. I will not spend more than $400.00 no matter how good it is. $500.00 and he can buy an old dirt bike and try too kill himself...

Any suggestions?

here is a link for a traxxas nitro rustler. A little more then you said but under $310. Grab some fuel and a couple extra glow plugs and your set. There's one thing a 15 yr old boy doesn't need too much free time. Never know what the can get into these days!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BamBamm
Thanks for the replies... I think I will tell him no and to find something else for his 15th birthday present. This is too expensive for a kid who will find other things to capture his interest. As it is, he is set on getting a Harley for his 16th birthday... Oy!
Yes indeed... Maybe imagine all the fun you might have playing with it when he's over the Harley!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Spend the money, get a traxxas monster truck. If you dont like it, you can sell it for a good portion of the money back.... Not all of course.