Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio bonding

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default Radio bonding

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but is it possible to Bond a Futaba 4PL to another receiver even if its not a Futuba ?

I have a B4.1, that came with the 4PL. The radio is bonded to this receiver only right now.

I also have a T4.2 RTR that I would like to have the 4PL operate also. Can I re-bond the stock receiver that came with the T4.2 RTR or wil I need to get another Futaba receiver for this to work.

I simply have to many radios and I would like to cut down on the stuff I need to bring when I got out...

Thanks

Boss
Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

While I'm not positive, I doubt it will work. Most 2.4GHz radio brands use proprietary protocols and won't work with other brands, there are only a few exceptions I've ever heard of.

There are even some quirks-incompatibilities within brands as the technology has developed and improved.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Futaba will not bind to Associated RTR's (or any RTR that I'm aware of for that matter) so you will need another receiver. The 204GF-E is a fantastic and affordable one for that radio.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dave H
While I'm not positive, I doubt it will work. Most 2.4GHz radio brands use proprietary protocols and won't work with other brands, there are only a few exceptions I've ever heard of.

There are even some quirks-incompatibilities within brands as the technology has developed and improved.
I kind of figured there would be some sort of propitiatory stuff going on that would make it not work..

I am just just thinking it would be great to make it just work. I am also not sure who make the radio that comes with the T4.2 RTR.

It would have been to easy if it was made by Futaba

Thanks ! I guess I need to look in to new receivers.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MarkA
Futaba will not bind to Associated RTR's (or any RTR that I'm aware of for that matter) so you will need another receiver. The 204GF-E is a fantastic and affordable one for that radio.
That was my next questions, What would work...

Thanks for the info.. I will look this up..
Old 01-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Boss73
I am also not sure who make the radio that comes with the T4.2 RTR.
Associated's radios are made by a company called Ace RC. They also make some decent servos but you don't see their radios anywhere else. I would venture to say they're probably related in some way to Associated via the Chinese conglomerate that owns Associated so the inclusion of their stuff with AE's rtr's in a simple case of vertical integration.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

Associated's radios are made by a company called Ace RC. They also make some decent servos but you don't see their radios anywhere else. I would venture to say they're probably related in some way to Associated via the Chinese conglomerate that owns Associated so the inclusion of their stuff with AE's rtr's in a simple case of vertical integration.

I guess its in the best interest, cost wise, to stay in house of the larger Corp..

I was telling someone today, that ever since I got back into RC and am ordering parts and stuff I have received more boxes with Chinese or Korean writing on them.. Guess none of this stuff( Or very little) is made in the USA.. Then again I am not sure how much of it ever really was to begin with...

Looked up that receiver. Looks like I can get it for under $40 at most places.. Need to get this soon so I can eliminated some radios..

Thanks again for the advise and help..
Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

I guess its in the best interest, cost wise, to stay in house of the larger Corp..

I was telling someone today, that ever since I got back into RC and am ordering parts and stuff I have received more boxes with Chinese or Korean writing on them.. Guess none of this stuff( Or very little) is made in the USA.. Then again I am not sure how much of it ever really was to begin with...

Looked up that receiver. Looks like I can get it for under $40 at most places.. Need to get this soon so I can eliminated some radios..

Thanks again for the advise and help..
As recent as about a dozen years ago, Associated had a "real factory" in CA and made most of most of their cars in-house. Today, I can think of only Lunsford as doing any real manufacturing of RC parts in the U.S. anymore. For quality, the top of the food chain has become the Japanese made cars (Kyosho, Yokomo, Tamiya) followed by the Taiwanese (Durango, MST drift cars, alot of the screws, etc. in other kits) and bringing up the rear are the Chinese ones trading off the legacies of companies they bought.
Anyway, that's enough of that before I devolve into a rant and/or one of the fanboys of the legacy brands gets upset...
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As recent as about a dozen years ago, Associated had a "real factory" in CA and made most of most of their cars in-house. Today, I can think of only Lunsford as doing any real manufacturing of RC parts in the U.S. anymore. For quality, the top of the food chain has become the Japanese made cars (Kyosho, Yokomo, Tamiya) followed by the Taiwanese (Durango, MST drift cars, alot of the screws, etc. in other kits) and bringing up the rear are the Chinese ones trading off the legacies of companies they bought.
Anyway, that's enough of that before I devolve into a rant and/or one of the fanboys of the legacy brands gets upset...
You forgot Slovakia (XRAY)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by locked
You forgot Slovakia (XRAY)
Correct - I knew I was forgetting one. They go in the top tier as well.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Its so funny how its all changed.. When I raced gold pans back in the 80's on the east coast our only "problem" was getting stuff from the west coast, not overseas..

Its a bummer that many are not being built over here anymore.. But then again, its hard to find any type of electronics that are made in the ole USA..
Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That was my next questions, What would work...

Thanks for the info.. I will look this up..
Also, another good choice if you can't find the first one(& btw, I have that R204GF-E myself & absolutely LOVE it) is the R203GF (like this: http://www.amain.com/futaba-r203gf-3...ceiver/p208943 ), it's also excellent, only differences are the lack of high-voltage capability(which in a 1/10 scale vehicle is not really needed) & it has an external antenna wire, but they both work equally well. I use them both, along with the the R2104GF that came with my 4PL( & I think you'll be pleased with the 4PL as well, had mine for nearly 3 years of HARD use, including racing in Virtual RC Pro every day, & it's holding up beautifully)....
Old 01-31-2015, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Also, another good choice if you can't find the first one(& btw, I have that R204GF-E myself & absolutely LOVE it) is the R203GF (like this: http://www.amain.com/futaba-r203gf-3...ceiver/p208943 ), it's also excellent, only differences are the lack of high-voltage capability(which in a 1/10 scale vehicle is not really needed) & it has an external antenna wire, but they both work equally well. I use them both, along with the the R2104GF that came with my 4PL( & I think you'll be pleased with the 4PL as well, had mine for nearly 3 years of HARD use, including racing in Virtual RC Pro every day, & it's holding up beautifully)....
Sweet ! I was looking up the receiver on Amazon and I was wondering why there was a a big price difference between the receivers.. Some were $40 while others were over $70. The part numbers were the same but some said that had and wire antenna while other made no mention of it... I wonder if I was not not paying as much attention to the part number as I thought.. I will have to take a closer look.

I think I will like this radio.. I got it used with a B4.1 , Chargers and batteries as he was selling all he had.. He got it and never raced it , then lost interest in The hobby.. His loss my gain..

I think the radio is smarter than I am with all it's features and adjustments... It's mind boggling that this is now the " older " radio as newer models have come out..

Good to hear that this radio will last as I am not real easy on my gear...

Thanks

Boss

Last edited by Boss73; 01-31-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Glad you figured it out. There RTR stuff isn't worth much so selling it won't get you much. It's for sure worth just getting new receivers if there is no chance that cars won't be driven at the same time.

Sweet ! I was looking up the receiver on Amazon
Amazon is one of the worst places to get RC gear from. Using coupons from AMain/Tower are usually much better than Amazon. Even the stuff from "Amazon" is usually from the Marketplace and not actually Amazon.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shagino
Glad you figured it out. There RTR stuff isn't worth much so selling it won't get you much. It's for sure worth just getting new receivers if there is no chance that cars won't be driven at the same time.

Amazon is one of the worst places to get RC gear from. Using coupons from AMain/Tower are usually much better than Amazon. Even the stuff from "Amazon" is usually from the Marketplace and not actually Amazon.
I have learned that hard way that RTR electronics are not that great.
Just yesterday I took out the T4 and it would die when it was on the far side of the track, like it was out of range. as soon as I would walk closer to it it would come to life.. Also the trigger on the transmitter will not return to center position like the spring fell off.

I got the new receiver on the way From Amazon. I have had pretty good luck buying form.

There is only one LSH in my area and they don't carry much in the way of RC gear and parts, and would have to order me stuff. So it easier for me to research parts and then try to find them on the net to buy.. Many times Amazon has what I need at just a click away, and free shipping..

Your right most of the stuff I get are from other places not from Amazon itself. Phil's Hobby is one..

I am not exclusive to buying online though. If I am at the track and they have something I need, I get it from them. But since its about an hour away it does not make sense to drive there just to buy a small parts that I can have shipped to my house.

I will look into coupons at AMain and Tower as I love to find a good deal .

Thanks

Boss

Last edited by Boss73; 02-02-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.