Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Newbie needs an RC car! Options listed.. >

Newbie needs an RC car! Options listed..

Newbie needs an RC car! Options listed..

Old 01-14-2015, 05:18 PM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
sidddubey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 9
Talking Newbie needs an RC car! Options listed..

Hey guys,

I'm Sid and am based in bournemouth, UK. I am a beginner and dont have much idea about rc cars and rc drifting which is where I want your help. I need help choosing my first rc car. My brother is into RC planes so I know of a few things that are particular to the RC sport and that carry forward here in to RC cars so I kind of know what type of car I'm looking for but am not sure which one would suit me best.

My needs from the package are.
1. I want to preferably buy a RTR package which would include the pre-assembled car with the radio and electronics as I have no building experience what so ever.
2. The package should be aftermarket friendly in the sense that there should be ample upgrades available so that I can upgrade the chassis technically as I begin to understand more about the sport. Aftermarket support for bodies is not important though preferable as I dont mind a nice looking ride.
3. Should have a good enough motor to start with so the cars not sluggish to begin with.
4. Should also have the potential to be used as a normal on road car so that drifting is not all that it does. I plan to maybe in the future mod the ride for drag racing but does'nt hold much value right now.
5. Should be under 300 which at this point equals to about $450.

Below are some of my choices although I am fully open to new suggestions,

1. HPI Sprint 2 Drift
2. HPI Sprint 2 Flux
3. Team Associated Apex Scion FR-S Racer
4. Maverick Strada DC Evo S Brushless RTR

Now I need your help deciding! But of all of these the two that top the list are the HPI S2F and the TA FS-R.

Also, if anyone reading this thread owns a S2F, can you tell me if we can use 2S Lipo with the stock motor and ESC? can we buy a 2S with maybe a traxxas style connector and use an adapter to make the connection to deans?

I hope this is not too long a post to read, sorry!
sidddubey1 is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 06:47 PM
  #2  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal
Posts: 565
Default

sprint 2 drift i heard flux motor sucks but idk. as for lipo any esc can handle it use a lipo alarm like me and you can use it. adapters are fine until you pull alot of amps mostly by racing and speed runs so you are fine. i would vote drift and upgrade to brushless which is better than the flux
rc car freak is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM
  #3  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
sidddubey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by rc car freak
sprint 2 drift i heard flux motor sucks but idk. as for lipo any esc can handle it use a lipo alarm like me and you can use it. adapters are fine until you pull alot of amps mostly by racing and speed runs so you are fine. i would vote drift and upgrade to brushless which is better than the flux
Do you think the belt driven system that the flux has would prove any beneficial with drifting or drag runs?? If i get a S2D and get a 2S 5300mAh lipo along with it then how much of play time am I looking at? would it make a difference in speed? Would the battery fit?
sidddubey1 is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,201
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

I have the sprint, and had not that many good things to say about it.

very limited adjustability, and a bad initial setup. for the price of 450 you could get a kit and build it up yourself. The spring isn't a terrible car though, and should more than suffice to a beginner.
ThePanda is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:26 PM
  #5  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
sidddubey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I have the sprint, and had not that many good things to say about it.

very limited adjustability, and a bad initial setup. for the price of 450 you could get a kit and build it up yourself. The spring isn't a terrible car though, and should more than suffice to a beginner.
yea i saw a lot of kits online available in my price range but the problem is that I have no experience what so ever in building a rc car. if you had to suggest any other RTR setup then what would you suggest?
sidddubey1 is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 PM
  #6  
Suspended
iTrader: (76)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,275
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

I'm a Tamiya fan so I will say the TT-02S. You will have to buy a brushless setup, and bearings but that thing is fast and bullet proof.

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-58600-t...cPath=420_1167

With a nice body and this..

http://www.falconsekido.com/collecti...ushless-system

You will be sitting around $300

Then add a 2.4ghz radio

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-fsgt2b-2ch-car.html
Metalsoft is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:45 PM
  #7  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
sidddubey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 9
Default

that kit looks really nice, wish i had the knowledge of putting a kit together..
sidddubey1 is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 PM
  #8  
Suspended
iTrader: (76)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,275
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sidddubey1
that kit looks really nice, wish i had the knowledge of putting a kit together..
Man it's alot easier than you think. Tamiya is known world wide for making the best manuals in the business.

If you can read, you can build a TT-02S
Metalsoft is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM
  #9  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
sidddubey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 9
Default

Ok so now even the tamiya is on my consideration list..

are there aluminium upgrades available for the sprint 2? are upgrades only available through HPI or are there other firms selling parts as well which will fit the sprint 2?
sidddubey1 is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM
  #10  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal
Posts: 565
Default

Ok that lipo should give between 15-30 mins runtime depending on your driving. Google rc shaft vs belt drive. You will find a lot of forums. Yes there are aluminum upgrades. Stay away from intent upgrades they suck at everything but looks. Its hard to have a drift car multi purpose as a drag car but i wont get into that right now. Kits are easy i've heard never actually done a kit but i've torn my two monster trucks completely apart before.
rc car freak is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 AM
  #11  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,201
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sidddubey1
Ok so now even the tamiya is on my consideration list..

are there aluminium upgrades available for the sprint 2? are upgrades only available through HPI or are there other firms selling parts as well which will fit the sprint 2?

There are upgrades but they won't really add to the car.

I would go with a xv01 to be honest. It is a really simple car, tons of fun to run, and really durable. If you do get one of the lower spec Tamiya models make sure to get a decent screwdriver bcause the screws are rather soft.
ThePanda is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 05:54 AM
  #12  
Tech Master
 
skeasor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 1,089
Default

Originally Posted by sidddubey1
that kit looks really nice, wish i had the knowledge of putting a kit together..
Putting a kit together isn't that bad. It may seem overwhelming at first when you open the box and see nothing but bags of parts but once you start going through the steps in the manual it all starts to make sense. Plus, there is always plenty of help on here.
skeasor is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM
  #13  
Suspended
iTrader: (76)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,275
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ThePanda
There are upgrades but they won't really add to the car.

I would go with a xv01 to be honest. It is a really simple car, tons of fun to run, and really durable. If you do get one of the lower spec Tamiya models make sure to get a decent screwdriver bcause the screws are rather soft.
I was going to suggest that also, but went with the TT-02S because of parts support and it being shaft drive.
Metalsoft is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 PM
  #14  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 201
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skeasor
Putting a kit together isn't that bad. It may seem overwhelming at first when you open the box and see nothing but bags of parts but once you start going through the steps in the manual it all starts to make sense. Plus, there is always plenty of help on here.
+1
And you'll know how it all fits together when you need to replace parts.
RichD is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 04:53 PM
  #15  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal
Posts: 565
Default

putting it together is lke building legos using tools
rc car freak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.