Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Can you throttle back speed with a transmitter? >

Can you throttle back speed with a transmitter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you throttle back speed with a transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:26 AM
Tech Initiate

I didn't see a sub trim but ill take another look.

Does it matter what position the servo is in when you bind the receiver?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

That radio doesn't have subtrim. You just have to center the servo horn as best you can and use trim for the rest
Old 12-30-2014, 04:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by shagino
That radio doesn't have subtrim. You just have to center the servo horn as best you can and use trim for the rest
That's what I did, but with the trim maxed out the tires still don't look straight. It was fine with the RTR receiver; so i just find it strange that with the skyfly I now have to re-center by adjusting the tie rod first... not sure why the servo "center" changed with the new radio

... unless i made another rookie mistake and need to make sure the wheels are straight when i bind the new radio (but i don't recall reading that anywhere)
Old 12-30-2014, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

A couple of things.

Originally Posted by sk1er18
I'm not sure why... but the throttle channel is "reversed". Yes it's plugged in right. Again, it's a budget radio so Im not too concerned... just fixed it by changing that channel to "reverse" so now it runs "normal" lol
Whenever you change a radio, you need to calibrate the ESC. If you calibrate, using the channel in normal mode should work just fine.

Only other downfall right now is it seems like the 0 trim steering servo has the tires aimed right and I have to max out the left trim just to get it to look straight. Tried adjusting the servo horn but it just swaps the issue to aimed left and then using the right trim to get it almost straight. If it doesn't drive straight I'll probably adjust the steering linkage to center the wheels closer to the 0 trim setting and start over. Unless i'm missing something?
I wouldn't have expected the servo horn to change neutral point but I suppose it's possible. When you adjusted the servo horn, did you have the radio and car on? Turn both on, set the trim to 0 and center the horn to be straight up(this depends on the car but you want going to the left and right to have as much throw as possible.

After you do this, if the wheels aren't pointed straight, adjust the steering links to get you straight.

It does not matter where the servo horn is when you bind.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Whenever you change a radio, you need to calibrate the ESC. If you calibrate, using the channel in normal mode should work just fine.
Didn't know that. Thanks! I'll re-calibrate it with the channel mode in normal.

I wouldn't have expected the servo horn to change neutral point but I suppose it's possible. When you adjusted the servo horn, did you have the radio and car on? Turn both on, set the trim to 0 and center the horn to be straight up(this depends on the car but you want going to the left and right to have as much throw as possible.

After you do this, if the wheels aren't pointed straight, adjust the steering links to get you straight.

It does not matter where the servo horn is when you bind.
Yup, that's exactly what I did. Turns out that the "straight up" position is where a spline is (when the radio is set to 0 trim), so i'm either one click left or right of center. And also turns out that the one click off-center is pretty much the full throw of the trim on the radio so it just barely makes it back to center.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Yup, that's exactly what I did. Turns out that the "straight up" position is where a spline is (when the radio is set to 0 trim), so i'm either one click left or right of center. And also turns out that the one click off-center is pretty much the full throw of the trim on the radio so it just barely makes it back to center.
That's doesn't sound right. One click off of center is fine but centering from one click shouldn't take you to max trim. A couple of my friends have this radio. So I'm familiar with it.

The biggest nuance of this radio is that you need to exit the menus properly so save any adjusted settings.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah it didn't seem right to me either. I tried adjusting the trim while in the menus and that didn't work. So then I exited the menus and tried adjusting it using the exterior buttons... still not enough throw. Very strange.

I'm recharging the battery now, when that's done I'll calibrate the ESC and play with it again, if I can't get it to center I'll take a quick video so you can see what i'm doing.... make sure i'm not doing something stupid before messing with the linkage.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Initiate

As far as the motor fwd/rev is concerned... i'm convinced the trigger in the radio is wired backward (just like the menu scroll button)

I calibrated the ESC and that didn't work. Then I manually reprogrammed the ESC motor direction, and with the radio in "normal" its still reversed. So i'll just reverse it on the radio and call it a day there.

Also played with the steering a bit. I think i'm just going to adjust the linkage there. It looks like it will probably drive straight with the trim maxed out... and short of swapping over to the RTR Radio i can't be sure that I didn't also have the trim maxed out; it'll take me less time to adjust the tie rods and probably get it aligned better than it was from the assembly line anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's help
Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Just curious what you guys think of this (haven't been outside yet... waiting for the wife to get home then me and the boy will go out and play).

Here's the original issue... after setting up the new radio and not messing around with anything else, the tires were aimed right even with the trim set full left (30 is max)

So i straightened the tires with the turnbuckles with the radio at 0 trim. But notice how little throw there is from 0, max left, max right? Almost no visible difference...

Again... not sure if this range of trim is normal or not for this vehicle. I know on our HPI I can make the vehicle turn pretty good left or right via the trim. Don't recall how much trim range the RTR radio had either, this radio seems to really limit the trim range (assuming it's the radio and not the vehicle)

I have a video processing that I'll put up in the vehicle thread and see if someone can do the same with their RTR radio.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Aligning linkages: Start with making sure the tierods to each wheel are equal length. Then adjust the link going to the servo, choose the spline that results in a shorter link with the servo horn tilted towards the steering. While I'm not familiar with your model most all RCs other than pan cars have slightly unequal steering linkage. As the servo turns the angle of the link changes adding steering in one direction and taking it away from the other. A slight tilt in the servo horn balances this out better than having the horn straight up or out, perpendicular to the servo depending on position.

Reversed throttle channel is a non issue, some brands are different than others, that's at least one reason why the adjustment is there.

There are almost always differences in center position and travel/endpoints when switching radios, especially from one brand to another. As I believe someone already mentioned always redo the throttle and steering setup when switching radios. It's even a good idea to check steering endpoints occasionally as parts wear and take some tweak from impacts etc.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Dave. Its hard to tell from the pictures but this model doesn't have an adjustable link at the servo so I had to make the adjustment at the turnbuckles (tie rods).

Adding an adjustable link there might be a good idea as an upgrade so its easier to adjust the steer ahead in the future.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Just got done testing it out. Perfect!! 30% throttle EPA is just right for my son.. still quite a bit of speed but not crazy... then press 2 buttons to put it in "dad" mode and rock & roll

Thanks again for the input everyone

*oh, and i didn't have to use the trim at all... goes straight as an arrow with the way I set it up, so i should be good even with the [seemingly] limited trim adjustment.