Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
How Many people use the Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800KV combo on there 2wd Ruckus? >

How Many people use the Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800KV combo on there 2wd Ruckus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Many people use the Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800KV combo on there 2wd Ruckus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How Many people use the Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800KV combo on there 2wd Ruckus?

As the title states how many of you are using the Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800KV ESC/Motor combo?

I'm just looking to pass around ideas and maybe get a few suggestions on any hop ups beyond the ones I already have. These are all the upgrades/mods I have done to my Ruckus so far

Castle Sidewinder SCT WaterProof ESC with Neu-Castle 1410 4 pole 3800KV 5mm Shaft Motor.

Team Associated T4/B4 Servo Saver (Part #'s ASC9640, ASC9659, ASC9610, ASC3971, ECX1058)

Traxxas Adjustable Turnbuckles all the way around (Part #'s 2x TRA3745, TRA3643)

Traxxas Big Bore Shocks with Team Losi Racing 40Wt oil in rear & Team Losi Racing 30Wt oil in front (Part #'s TRA5862, TLR74010, TLR74006)

ECX Metal Diff Gear Set (Part #'s ECX9001)

HiTec HS-5646WP High Voltage High Torque Water Proof Metal Gear Servo

MIP X-Duty CVD Kit Rear Slash 4X4 Axles (Part #'s 10130)

Well thats everything I have right now. Anything else you guys think would fit well on this bashing truck?

Also really need help with what pinion size to choose any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody
CptKlink
Old 11-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you know the transmission ratio (maybe 2.6?) you can probably use this calculator to get in the ballpark on gearing: http://www.gearing.rcgearhead.com/Gearing/Browse

As far as other parts go, I'd look at some of the rpm stuff, call the truck done and enjoy driving it: http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/?s=ruckus
Old 11-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Gear ratio is 2.6:1, somewhere in the 19-21 range for the pinion should be a good starting point.

That castle system is a bit much for 2wd (I ran identical system in an associated 2wd SC a couple years ago), but if you are using it for bashing it will definitely put a smile on your face. Since its a 4 pole you can gear it up without hurting the motor (although that esc can't take high loads for extended periods of time), and throw 3' dirt rooster tails if you feel the need to. I used to take junk bodies and throw a 28 pinion on my truck and pin it. The tires would expand so much the rear fenders would literally explode off of the truck. It was a crowd favorite at the local club race. I tried to race with that same pinion (just having fun, not a serious race) and didn't make it 4 minutes or so before the ESC gave out lol.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Well right now till i can order more I only have 17t, 22t, and 24t pinion's. The LHS distributor dosen't carry mych selection for 5mm Bore 48p pinion gears and thats all they could get for me so i have to order them online. I have got it all installed now just haven't tested it yet waiting for the threadlock to completely set before I do anything. Right now I have the 17t pinion installed and it being winter here pretty much its kinda cold outside so I don't have to worry about heat as much right now. Do you think the 17t will be ok or would the 22t be a safer bet will I can get a better selection on pinion gears?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

If you can adjust the EPA for throttle back from 100% to around 80-85% it might get you by using the 22t until you can get the correct pinion. Its still more load on the ESC than you might want (from a dead stop) for extended periods of time but the 17t is probably going to be pretty slow on the top end.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not too worried about speed right now. Would the 17t actually be safer or will that just make the motor scream too much and just heat up the motor ensted of the ESC?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

The 17t will be safer. You'll be at higher motor RPMs more of the time, however the gearing will give the motor mechanical advantage so basically cancels each other out, heat should not be an issue.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Ya I would rather go slower and still having a working truck by the time i get my other pinion gears then go screaming fast and have a blast and possibly have a dead truck when my pinion gears get here.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Well I will have to say I have a new found respect for the ECX Brand Talk about durable even in the cold here. I bashed the crap out of this thing for my first test with all the upgrades and new ESC and motor combo. And with the 17t pinion its still pretty damn fast even tho I coulden't get any where near full speed due to slippery/icy roads and what not. Anytime i got any where near full throttle it would spin out even if i tried to crawl up to speed.

I will deffently say I don't think I ever had this much fun with an R/C even when I had a Nitro Buggy about 7 years ago. This Ruckus right now I think even with thie gearing would walk all over the buggy I had and it was considered fast in its day.

All I can say is I'm very happy with my purchase of the Ruckus and all the upgrades.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CptKlink
Well I will have to say I have a new found respect for the ECX Brand Talk about durable even in the cold here. I bashed the crap out of this thing for my first test with all the upgrades and new ESC and motor combo. And with the 17t pinion its still pretty damn fast even tho I coulden't get any where near full speed due to slippery/icy roads and what not. Anytime i got any where near full throttle it would spin out even if i tried to crawl up to speed.

I will deffently say I don't think I ever had this much fun with an R/C even when I had a Nitro Buggy about 7 years ago. This Ruckus right now I think even with thie gearing would walk all over the buggy I had and it was considered fast in its day.

All I can say is I'm very happy with my purchase of the Ruckus and all the upgrades.

That's awesome, glad you enjoyed it. How about a t bone racing bumper? About the only thing I would add to your basher. Maybe a light kit if you are into that as well.

Waiting on my wp sc8 esc and tacon 3500 kv motor for my ruckus. Can't wait to run this thing brushless, it's been fun the last month with the stock 15t motor and 2s lipo.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

I don't care about lights thats just wasted energy not going to the motor lol.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

I don't care about lights thats just wasted energy not going to the motor lol.

Yeah, because leds use so much energy and a separate 9 volt battery is to much work.

I'll be adding lights to my ruckus once my hobby account has more money in it. To me lights are very necessary this time of year plus they just look cool.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Wow why so rude.

And how are lights useful? Well for me anyways most of the time I will be going to fast if I do spot anything that I might hit it will be to late to break or turn out of the way to miss what ever it is. I could see the light being useful if your driving at night and your R/C is a fair distance away making it easier to see.

And as far as being cool. I'm past that point where flashy (I don't mean that the lights flash) bling bling type stuff is not cool and is more annoying and also its just another thing to break in a crash.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Wow why so rude.

And how are lights useful? Well for me anyways most of the time I will be going to fast if I do spot anything that I might hit it will be to late to break or turn out of the way to miss what ever it is. I could see the light being useful if your driving at night and your R/C is a fair distance away making it easier to see.

And as far as being cool. I'm past that point where flashy (I don't mean that the lights flash) bling bling type stuff is not cool and is more annoying and also its just another thing to break in a crash.

My apologies if my post came across as rude, certainly not my intention.

Unless you went with some extremely bright leds, you're right, you won't be able to see obstacles at high speed or far from you. I thought the same thing durability wise, mount this flimsy light bar to the top of my 10 lb sc8.2e and watch the lights get destroyed after one wreck. Very impressed with the durabilty of the rpm light bar, many rollovers, roofslides, and they are still doing fine. My cool comment was more directed at how the light bars add a degree of scale realism, not blingy in my mind.

Anyway, hope you're having fun with your ruckus, I know I am. Cheers
Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Its all good no worries. And I don't care for the realism look eather just out to have fun with my Ruckus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.