Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adjust my motor speed..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Adjust my motor speed..

Hi...im new to electric rc...im running a touring car with a 17.5T murfdogg motor, tekin rs pro esc on a 4000mah lipo...right now my motor timing is on 5degrees...how do i adjust my speed?..should i change my gearings?..or i can adjust my motor's timing?...thanks guys.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Changing your gearing will be more effective but just be careful to ensure you motor doesn't get too hot while testing when you've changed your gearing.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

If you want to just slow it down to learn how to drive it, just adjust your epa on your radio and that should slow it down.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Are you racing or just running around parking lots and whatnot? A 17.5 motor is pretty fast. Gearing changes affect top speed vs. acceleration, at the expense of motor heat. So, say you have a 50T pinion and 100T spur, going to a 45T pinion would make the car accelerate faster but lose some top speed, motor temperature would likely drop. Now if you went to a 55T pinion, top speed would be higher, acceleration would be slower, and the motor could easily get very hot or even cook. So, make pinion changes 1 or 2 teeth at a time, and temp your motor after 2 minutes, then after 5 minutes to see how it's handling the gearing. Keep your motor below 160 degrees F.

Timing affects the top RPM a motor can reach at expense of both torque and heat. The more timing (more degrees on the can), the higher the top RPM, lower the torque, and the higher the temperature of the motor. Motors have a "sweet spot" where you get good torque, good top RPM and don't get too much heat. Play with timing a few degrees at a time and temp your motor as above.

The recommendation to adjust your EPA is meant to basically adjust the "End Point" of your throttle channel. You can do this in most radios and what it does is say that at full throttle on the radio, only actually send, say, 60% of the possible throttle to the receiver. You could actually also do this with throttle Dual Rate, which is what I prefer. Keep your end points at 100% (the default), but turn down your throttle Dual Rate to 50%, or 80%, etc.

Hope this helps.