Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
starting a new hobby help needed!(on road rc nitro car) >

starting a new hobby help needed!(on road rc nitro car)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

starting a new hobby help needed!(on road rc nitro car)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? starting a new hobby help needed!(on road rc nitro car)

hey guys im marcus here and i have been wanting to start on road rc nirto cars as a hobby but i have like 0 knowledge of it hahaha im hoping u guys would give me a little head start on it like where to get stuffs what i should know abt nitro cars etc etc thanks guys!!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey marcus! i'm newbie too! ahahaha

GUYS!! any tips or advice? AND also shops to recommend in Singapore?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Rookie

would highly recommend locating a local track where they race the classes you are interested in and ask questions there. You will save a lot of money and time by gathering knowledge from local racers/hobbyists.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I went the nitro route for my very first real R/C car. I went with a HPI Nitro RS4 RTR, one of the very first ones over 10 years ago

What I would suggest that helped me tremendously is to do LOTS of research on nitro, their engines and tuning, suspension tuning and setup and anything else you can get your hands on. That helped me tremendously.

Here are some links to help you out:

Beginners guide to Nitro R/C:
http://www.rcxmodels.com/Beginners-G...-Nitro-RC-Cars

Engine tuning:
"the tuning bible"

Good luck with it and use this board, it has a ton of info by search or asking.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would echo the above. Get yourselves along to the local track that runs nitro and see what classes are the most popular, chat to the drivers and see what the general consensus is. You should consider the brands and models that are easily available in your area. There is nothing worse than breaking something you don't have and its not available either trackside or locally!

My second piece of advise is to try to avoid RTR if you are keen on racing properly and not bashing around a car park. The reason behind this advise is because you will learn an awful lot building the kit from scratch and trying to setup the car for the first time. Many of the competition kits have excellent manuals that really make the build easy. Also in my experience an RTR ends up costing more to make competitive because you have to replace so many of the stock parts with the competition version which is usually standard in the competition kit.

You could also consider something used. These can be a great way to get setup initially if the deal is right.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Initiate

I recommend getting an electric as a 1st kit.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Electricblue
+1 cheaper start up, upkeep, and maintenance. Plus, they are easier to her going, and easier to "tune"
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ThePanda
+1 cheaper start up, upkeep, and maintenance. Plus, they are easier to her going, and easier to "tune"
Haha.. Yup.. The "tuning"... the savage octane is an interesting development though.. Gasoline on a standard 1/10.. It can be a game changer!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Electricblue
Was waiting this to be said and it is absolutely true. I used to run nitro years ago and don't remember much about it, but electric was really easy to get into and is a lot of fun. There's a smaller learning curve and besides they're faster