Wiki Posts
Search

Hard decisions on whether to fix or upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hard decisions on whether to fix or upgrade

Hi guys,

I have an SC10RS I picked up a few weeks ago secondhand(my first for 10+ years)- It had a crap tx/rx so the car wouldn't drive more than ~20m without losing signal, the spur/pinion were both wrecked and bare, tyres pretty poor condition. However it did come with 3 3s 3300mah batteries and a 8t brushless engine so it was very fast.

Since, I have upgraded the tx/rx to the Futaba 3PRKA system, the tyres to proline badlands and chose to go the aluminum hexes in the rear (it kept rounding the plastic hexes) and now it's working a lot better or it was... I crashed head on into a stationary object.

It's cracked and split the chassis behind the front wheels and also the top plate. I'm thinking that I should buy a new kit and start fresh and just transplant my electrics into that car...

Should I spend the money upgrade an older model car or go for a new kit? I had been thinking the SC10.2 would be the right choice, I haven't ever driven a 4WD car though and like the look of the SCTE 2.0 (maybe because of it's aluminum chassis)

Opinions please!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Frankly, you ever drive a 4wd, you won't touch the 2wd again lol. At least that happened to me. I sold the 2wd and bought a second 4wd. You'll find yourself concentrating on the 4wd for off road and neglecting the 2wd. Maybe make the 2wd into a street truck?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Rookie

That sounds like a good thing. What are the best kits available? I've done little research towards the 4wd side of things.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What is the goal/purpose of the truck? Yard bashing truck, eventually heading to a track, etc?

Regardless of those answers, to begin, be aware of what you own, only the Tx/Rx will really transplant from a 2wd SC to a 4wd SC one. Your existing motor won't be powerful enough, i.e. will overhear and fry, ditto the ESC and so on.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

At this point it is bashing but with the capability to be a track truck when I can find the time to commit to it.

The engine/esc that came with the truck is: ARROWIND 3665- 8T motor + 100A ESC with 3s lipo battery ;2700rpm/V max power 1350w.

It seems quite powerful, however, I've never heard of the brand before which I'm sure is not a good thing. It has proven itself so far.

Surely the standard servo can also be transplanted?
Old 05-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ok, first of all, the SC10 (probably the RS, but definitely the .2) are NOT basher trucks. These SC10.x kits have won numerous championships, they're not designed to be driven into a curb. Also, running a 2WD on a 3S with an 8T motor is nuts, if you ask me. No wonder you're stripping gears and hexes. These trucks are almost always ran on 2S, which is what their drivetrains are designed for.

If you want to bash... I'd look at a Traxxas Slash, either the 2WD or the 4x4. Designed to bash, lots of cheap parts everywhere.

If you're looking to race, the 10.2 would make a great kit, but you probably want to invest in a stock motor to begin with (17.5T). But before you do either, go to your local track and find out what classes are usually raced and get an idea for local/track parts support. You don't want to be running the odd truck that nobody else knows anything about (though AE is very popular and should be well supported).

As a side note.. a 2WD truck or buggy are much harder to drive in dirt, and thus will make you a better driver. Good 2WD drivers dominate in 4WD, but a lot of 4WD drivers can't handle 2WD, and there is a reason for that. Just sayin' Personally, I love 2WD in the dirt!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrolleN
That sounds like a good thing. What are the best kits available? I've done little research towards the 4wd side of things.
The losi scte is bada$$. The ultimate basher which you could race if you want. Runtime is shorter with 4x4 and repair cost are alot more than a 2wd, because of all the moving parts.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Ok, first of all, the SC10 (probably the RS, but definitely the .2) are NOT basher trucks. These SC10.x kits have won numerous championships, they're not designed to be driven into a curb. Also, running a 2WD on a 3S with an 8T motor is nuts, if you ask me. No wonder you're stripping gears and hexes. These trucks are almost always ran on 2S, which is what their drivetrains are designed for.

If you want to bash... I'd look at a Traxxas Slash, either the 2WD or the 4x4. Designed to bash, lots of cheap parts everywhere.

If you're looking to race, the 10.2 would make a great kit, but you probably want to invest in a stock motor to begin with (17.5T). But before you do either, go to your local track and find out what classes are usually raced and get an idea for local/track parts support. You don't want to be running the odd truck that nobody else knows anything about (though AE is very popular and should be well supported).

As a side note.. a 2WD truck or buggy are much harder to drive in dirt, and thus will make you a better driver. Good 2WD drivers dominate in 4WD, but a lot of 4WD drivers can't handle 2WD, and there is a reason for that. Just sayin' Personally, I love 2WD in the dirt!
Could not agree more. Nailed it. Want a durable basher? Get a 4x4 brushless slash.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

metalnut - plus 1000000
Old 05-02-2014, 02:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your advice. The car I had 10 years ago was a Losi XXX 2wd buggy and I loved it so I got another 2wd to recreate the feeling, except with a truck =\

The only issue that I'm running into when thinking about a 4wd slash is the price. Here in Australia it's going to set you back $800 to get the 'right' lcg slash package- and when I can get a TEN-SCTE 2.0(which is a new release and not being discontinued anytime soon) for $450 and then 'make it my own' with my choice in part upgrade and finish at almost the same price it's hard to justify the slash.

What is my train of thought missing here? Is it worth the cash for the durability, is it really that much better of a basher? It also removes the ability to go a track when the time comes- which means I'd end up buying a losi/ae anyway...
Old 05-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tekno truck is easily 10X better than the scte. Much more durable and wears a lot better also. Develops very little slop compared to the losi.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrolleN
Thanks for your advice. The car I had 10 years ago was a Losi XXX 2wd buggy and I loved it so I got another 2wd to recreate the feeling, except with a truck =\

The only issue that I'm running into when thinking about a 4wd slash is the price. Here in Australia it's going to set you back $800 to get the 'right' lcg slash package- and when I can get a TEN-SCTE 2.0(which is a new release and not being discontinued anytime soon) for $450 and then 'make it my own' with my choice in part upgrade and finish at almost the same price it's hard to justify the slash.

What is my train of thought missing here? Is it worth the cash for the durability, is it really that much better of a basher? It also removes the ability to go a track when the time comes- which means I'd end up buying a losi/ae anyway...
I don't think you're missing anything here, you'll get varying opinions on the subject. Personally, I'm not a Traxxas fan boy but I do have a truggied out Stampede 4x4 that I bought specifically for the purpose of bashing, but also to see if I can get a Traxxas to handle. They make good kits, they're just tailored toward new and young drivers, and they're definitely overpriced.

Since you've mentioned "track" a few times now, I'd go for an AE or TLR 4x4 (if you want a 4x4, though it sounds like you may like a 2WD more?), since I'm guessing those will have the best parts support in AU. But maybe I'm wrong? As mentioned above, Tekno is very good, as is Team Durango. I would say stick with one of those and buy what's priced reasonably. All of their 2WD and 4WD kits (read racing kits, not RTRs) have racing pedigree and will fly on a track. You CAN bash them, but out of the box they may brake more. Getting bashing plastic upgrades/replacements, like those made by RPM, can make any truck much more durable.

As a side note, I have a TLR 22SCT and an AE B4.2, both are great 2WD racers. I can have a lot of fun with them out in the street too. WIth the B5 out now, the B4.x rollers should be very cheap to have. Rumors are that a 22SCT 2.0 is on its way, so the original kit may be dirt cheap soon too (and only be slightly different).

Not sure if this helps or not
Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Tekno truck is easily 10X better than the scte. Much more durable and wears a lot better also. Develops very little slop compared to the losi.
You are funny.