Wiki Posts
Search

Gear lesson

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Gear lesson

Ok got a Duratrax Evader. It had the stock 20 turn Photon motor and my local hobby shop said a Firebolt 15T 540 motor should work. Changing the motor was no problem (first motor change) and it ran for a few minutes but then it stopped. Looks like the pinion and spur gear weren't connecting (see picture). They are just spinning on each other and aren't meshing. SO, do I need to change the pinion gear with a change in the motor turn. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Gear lesson-photo-12-.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You need loosen those two screws and remesh the gears then tighten them down. You should also go down a couple teeth on the pinion when you go to a lower turn motor.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You want the two gears to get fairly full contact but there should still be a small gap. Adjust then "rock" the spur back and forth, a little wiggle, not much. The spur may not be perfectly round, check it in several spots around.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
You want the two gears to get fairly full contact but there should still be a small gap. Adjust then "rock" the spur back and forth, a little wiggle, not much. The spur may not be perfectly round, check it in several spots around.
What he said. And here's a little trick I use to set mesh: take a little strip of paper and put it in the gear mesh. Slide the motor over snug against the spur gear and tighten the motor screws. Then rotate the gears to get the paper out. Works almost every time.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ok. I thought I had it. I tightened up the gears and it worked for about 2 minutes and then the car stopped. the gears weren't meshing. I tried this 3 times and ended up stripping the pinion gear. Had to pull it off. I need a new pinion. What pinion do you suggest? Just a stock duratrax evader on ebay (like $3) or some other brand/type. Again, i went from a 20 turn to a 15 turn (stock spur gear). Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewbie418
Ok. I thought I had it. I tightened up the gears and it worked for about 2 minutes and then the car stopped. the gears weren't meshing. I tried this 3 times and ended up stripping the pinion gear. Had to pull it off. I need a new pinion. What pinion do you suggest? Just a stock duratrax evader on ebay (like $3) or some other brand/type. Again, i went from a 20 turn to a 15 turn (stock spur gear). Thanks
Be sure to get a steel pinion. Probably would be a good idea to replace your spur gear too.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewbie418
Once the pinion of lined up , you shouldn't need to touch it again.(unless you are changing pinion size(teeth). loosen The bolts holding the motor in and slide the motor forward.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I believe his problem isn't primarily the gear mesh but rather the motor screws loosening up. Try to apply a small amount of thread lock on the gear mesh. One method I've learned and found on you tube is you slightly loosen the motor screws when setting gear mesh and slowly applying about 1/4 throttle until the gears do not make any noise any longer. Once you finish that step, tighten your motor screws somewhere between 1/8th to a 1/4 past hand tight and viola it's done. Take it outside and have fun. On the side, if you are using either metal pinion or spur, the noise will be there and just have a feel for it. Eventually you too can also be a gear mesh guru. Also since you stripped out your pinion, replace both pinion and spur as a preventative measure