Wiki Posts
Search

need help deiding on kit to get back into RC

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default need help deiding on kit to get back into RC

I got back into RC a little while ago and got fully addicted and bought an MBX6ECO that i ran at a local 1/8 scale track and had a few other kits that I ended up selling and not using. I had a great time at the tracks but I relied on the local pros at the shop to do most of my building and repairs so I never really got comfortable with tuning and building. I ended up selling most of what I have except a shelf queen MBX6ECO I have but dont intend to run. I am looking to get a kit to learn about building and tuning and also to get more practice time on the track since I had fun with the ECO but was never serious enough to become a skilled driver.

I have a small 1/10 track about 2 miles from my house and with the ECO to really run it I had to drive 20 minutes so I didnt use it much. I am looking for a 1/10 scale kit the wont be too hard to build and that will run well without too much custom work. I am also hoping to eventually race in some of the beginner races at the track so I am looking for a good quality competitive buggy and just want a stable easy to drive kit that doesnt require a ton of work to drive decently. I havent decided what class to run but I am leaning towards a buggy class such as 1/10 2wd and 1/10 4wd. I do also like the look of the 4wd SC but not sure if it would be too much for a beginner.

I think that the last time I focused on getting the fastest nicest kit and didnt take time to learn and work my way up. I think if I am able to work on my own kit and get some basic skills I can get more enjoyment out of it.

thanks for any help.

Last edited by Cyric; 04-20-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

the kyosho rb6 and losi 22 2.0 are very very nice. if those don't appeal to you there is also the durango dex210 and serpent buggy. the newcomer is the b5 from associated, and that is certainly worth looking into.

of the ones listed the one i would get again would be the rb6. easiest buggy in the world to build, and the kyosho quality shines through.

if you are on a budget there is the trf201. it is on sale from tamiya for 190 and has identical geometry to the b4 series cars. it is easily a money pit though as to convert it to the mid motor spec trf201xm you are looking at at least 400 extra as you would need the tamiya gearbox and chassis. if you like the tamiya you might want to wait though, as they are coming out whith that car metal chassis and aluminum gearbox as a whole kit, and it should be considerably less.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

there is also shumacher and X-ray, but the X-ray buggy is really meant for carpet and the shumacher is probably not supported locally.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

great thanks.

I looked at the AE, Kyosho and Schumacher on Amain and all look great.

I like the price on the AE and not sure if the B5 or the B5M is best for a small outdoor track.

The Schumacher looks good and has some good feedback on Amain. I am not as worried about local support since I can mail order parts and will be ok waiting a week to run if I am missing a part. I will also try and stock some of the common parts.

I think the kyosho is probably the nicest but not sure about dropping the extra money on it.

out of the schumacher\AE\Kyosho which is the easiest to build and tune? I think any of the 3 would be good for my skill level and I am looking for the one that will be the easiest to build\maintain\set up.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Keep in mind that your Eco is essentially a 4wd SC with twice the power. Here is the conversion to a legal 1/10th SChttp://www.snrgraphite.com/index.php...index&cPath=27 4wd SC is a completely different beast than a 4wd buggy or 2wd of course. Go to some races, talk to people, see what they run and support. And one thing about racing.... don't race just drive.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asc6000
Keep in mind that your Eco is essentially a 4wd SC with twice the power. Here is the conversion to a legal 1/10th SChttp://www.snrgraphite.com/index.php...index&cPath=27 4wd SC is a completely different beast than a 4wd buggy or 2wd of course. Go to some races, talk to people, see what they run and support. And one thing about racing.... don't race just drive.
thanks I like the dont race just drive and I need to remember it. I am leaning towards a 2wd buggy due to cost and ease of building but I am also tempted by the 4wd buggy. I like the 4wd SC but will probably start with a simpler vehicle. I toyed with getting an SCT410 but I think I might stick with a 2wd buggy and leave the rest for after I put some time into one kit. my main problem last time is I had free cash and went crazy and bought tons of kits and hardly used any of them so I think I need to keep it simple and focus on one kit and build the skills I will need later on
Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

I would recommend 4WD SC because it's easier to drive. The car is not as nimble as a buggy and the wide body will protect the car from catching other car or stuffs around the track. A 2WD buggy is easier to build and maintain, but it's more agile which make it actually harder to drive.