Search

Battery Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Battery Help

Hey guys,
I just recently got into the RC world & I purchased my new HPI E Firestorm 10TF
which I am waiting for it to arrive. It says it is capable of handling a 3s Lipo.
The issue that I am having is that I cant find a 3S that has a running time of
40min-1hr which is what im looking for. The other ones I found online have a run time of below 30 min, which I dont want. I understand that im going to need to get use to the throttle control but I dont mind. Also, if anyone can recommend the proper charger/balancer for the car that would be great. Any help & suggestions Id greatly appreciate it .
Thanks !
Old 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you're probably asking way too much for a battery. but try to find the highest MAH you can is about all you can do.
of course most of us buy several batteries. they're usually done charging by time the other one is done. if you get a high enough amp charger.

here's a 6500mah
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=169
Old 01-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

3s is a lot for that car. I think max amps has some 10,000 + mah batteries! but they are so expensive. Don't even know if they make them anymore.

Standards runtime is between 25-40 minutes for a car like yours, with a standard capacity battery (something 3500-6500 mah.)
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

40-60 minutes on a 3s? If you can find a 3s battery that will do that it'll probably be cheaper to get two 3s batteries that can do 25-30 minutes. Run one while one charges then switch them out.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Well im in the rookie zone for a reason lool, I just thought they may have a lipo battery that runs for that long. But Im liking the one you recommended. If I were to get that battery and purchase the " Thunder AC6 smart charger" would it be safe to use it on the battery?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Well im in the rookie zone for a reason lool, I just thought they may have a lipo battery that runs for that long. But Im liking the one you recommended. If I were to get that battery and purchase the " Thunder AC6 smart charger" would it be safe to use it on the battery?
good budget charger. I would get the 680 version though. I believe it has a few more features. or faster charge rates
Old 01-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
good budget charger. I would get the 680 version though. I believe it has a few more features. or faster charge rates
Ok Ill check it out thanks for the help again guys. Im just trying to make sure I get the proper equipment without any malfunctions . I will keep you guys posted once my first baby arrives and post up some pics!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I highly doubt the firestorm elecs will run for an hour on 3s without heating up to bad temps
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think my attention would be drawn elsewhere after an hour too. "Squirrel"
Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I highly doubt the firestorm elecs will run for an hour on 3s without heating up to bad temps
Good point. 3s is usually reserved for speed runs on only the street.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
But it says on the box that the car can handle a 3s? Doesnt that mean that the gearing and motor/esc are set from the factory for it to handle a battery at that kind of power?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

But it says on the box that the car can handle a 3s? Doesnt that mean that the gearing and motor/esc are set from the factory for it to handle a battery at that kind of power?
It may come with an optional pinion gear for use with 3s like the 4x4 slash did or it could be setup already somewhere in the middle for use with both. But I believe the point he was making that it probably couldn't handle a solid hour of 3s abuse, working a motor hard for that long will generate a ton of heat, heat kills motors.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

not necessarily...the maximum cell rating is an advertising point. I would recommend a 2 cell for starting off. I would start with a

nanotech 5300 mah
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

or for longer run times the nanotech 6600 mah
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

both are very good value
Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Previously Posted by Speedo711
not necessarily...the maximum cell rating is an advertising point. I would recommend a 2 cell for starting off. I would start with a..
What would be the approximate run time for the 6600mah ?

Last edited by Frostbite; 01-12-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by VenturaDC
It may come with an optional pinion gear for use with 3s like the 4x4 slash did or it could be setup already somewhere in the middle for use with both. But I believe the point he was making that it probably couldn't handle a solid hour of 3s abuse, working a motor hard for that long will generate a ton of heat, heat kills motors.
I was able to find a little bit more info about the compatibility & I found out that the older motor for the firestorm wasn't able to handle the 3s. But on the HPI UK site it says for the new firestorm motor
"It can handle 7.4 volt (2S) or 11.1 (3S) LiPo batteries as well as 7.2v NiMH batteries for a range of possibilities " from wwwhpiracing.couk/piw.php?partNo=106628
I was definitely getting way too excited of running a 3s with high mah bone stock.
So is my best bet for this car to run on a 3s with low mah, for a 40 min run (stock) &/or a 2s with high mah long run (stock) without having any heating issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.