New off road 4x4 SCT or BUGGY? Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New off road 4x4 SCT or BUGGY? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? New off road 4x4 SCT or BUGGY? Help!

I have read all of the "what should I get" threads, but wanted to ask this specific version so I make the best choice. Budget will be $500-600 TOTAL. Will be my first car in 15years( had an hpi nitro on-road that I built when I was young, then sold it after a year) the on road was a bad choice due to the obvious limits. So this time I want to do it right with an off-road. Going to be doing 95% bashing on dirt, field, and grass. Just an overall "fun" car with speed, good jumper, and durability. No tracks near me so want something that I can rip anywhere. If I find the time I MIGHT travel to a track after I develop my driving skills(45 min away minimum,live in southern NJ/Philly) After 6 months of research, I was going to get the Slash 4x4 ( possibly the Ultimate- if found great deal). I was ready to purchase, then started reading these forums and am not sure if a SCT is the best choice for my first car or a BUGGY? Staying under $600, what do you guys recommend? Remember, I need something not too advanced so I can grow into it, and obviously need it to be durable. I want to enjoy it for 4-5 months without needing upgrades to keep the fun going. So if possible, a car that I won't get bored of in a month, but also won't get frustrated with never ending tuning and tinkering. After I learn, I do love to build and upgrade, but want to enjoy the car for a while first.

Soooo....some of my concerns:

1- is the Slash durable and appropriate for my needs if I get the lcg chassis one? Best bang for buck?
2- some say slash is cheap plastic and overpriced, so is SCTE, SC10, or another SCT better? (Don't really like the belt drive on SC10)
3- if Slash bad choice, which SCT RTR then?
4-would a buggy be better or too light and nimble to learn on?
5- if buggy is best, what is best RTR for my needs? 1/8 scale? RC8.2e or Ofna lx2e, or other?
6-Final thought- I now see I can get a Team Associated 1/8 SC8.2e RTR for $400 new. Would that be a good one to start for bashing? Is 1/8 SCT best of both worlds?

Any overall advice is appreciated. I just want to decide SCT or BUGGY, then which best overall model, and then buy it!! Don't have the $$ to buy another car so need to make the right choice. Going to purchase in January with x-mas money, so I have 1.5 months to decide and research.

Thanks in advance!!

Brian
Old 11-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Initiate

I would say get the sct seeing how you plan on mostly backyard bashing around. I would go with the slash but then again I can't really speak for the durability of the other brands as I don't own one but they are more geared toward racing than bashing. I have no experience with 1/8 scale buggies either. probably not much help but my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The Slash is great for just banging around and is a lot of fun. It has a ton of options and upgrades if you want them, but they can add up in cost. It is very durable and parts support is outstanding.

The SCTE also has good parts support out there, and you can pick up a 1.0 really cheap now, or go with the improved 2.0 if your funds can swing it. It is at least as durable as the slash, and is a better choice if you will develop an interest in racing.

The Associated, they have the prolite and the SC10 4x4, the prolite is very slash looking to me, it should be fine on parts support, but will be very thin on aftermarket stuff. The SC10 4x4 is honestly just not a good choice for most people. It has been dumped in favor of other brands by a lot out there and you can as a result find them on the cheap. But I would not suggest them.

Another option is the Tekno SCT410. it is a just a tank, likely the most durable rig you will find. It likely has the weakest parts support out there, but then again it is not as likely to need parts.

Also, Durango has a truck that has a good following, parts support is thin in a lot of places, but it has a strong fan base. Only thing I do not care for is that it uses saddle packs instead of a stick. They have v1 / v2 and v3 of the truck..V2 is really cheap out there now, but most Durango fans would say to get the V3 for the upgrades on it.

Personally I like the Losi and Tekno offerings, they are proven, durable, and not only do they race well, but you can just bang the crap out of them and they keep on ticking.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

What about the TA SC8.2e 1/8 SCT? For some reason the price dropped to $439. Is this too big to learn on and durable?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fegbri46
What about the TA SC8.2e 1/8 SCT? For some reason the price dropped to $439. Is this too big to learn on and durable?
no, 1:8 is not too big to learn on. They do cost a bit more to operate, and need a little more room to run. But they are not to be avoided.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I'm thinking a sc10 4x4 roller, pick up a futaba 3pl, and put some hobbywing electronics in it. You should still be able to stay under 600, and be able to buy a few sets of tires.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I can vouch for the Tekno SCT being really durable, and also a great race vehicle in the future if you want to do that. It shares most parts with their 8th scale buggy, so the capabilities, interchangeability, tenability, etc are all great.

The Losi is a decent choice, but won't have the same amount of droop in the suspension, or the ability to get ride height as high, nor the bigger 8th scale sized shocks as compared to the Tekno.

The Associated ProLite can be a decent basher, but you'll always be breaking body posts.

The Durango is a great race truck, but I wouldn't suggest it for bashing.

Lasly, for the Slash, the LCG stuff is only really helpful if racing. You won't find any truck with the same sheer number of aftermarket hop up parts as the Slash...but you'll be likely to want to put many of them in it before you get something good and fun.

For budget electronics, the HobbyWing SCT Pro and 4pole SC motor combo are amazing. About the only thing I think is better (due to tuning options, not performance) is using a Tekin RX8 ESC instead, but that is a bit more pricy.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

I think the teckno is a little over budget right now. I am leaning toward the lost scte. Is the RTR ok for starters, or will I wish I got the ARR with my own electronics?

And why is no one commenting on the TA sc8.2e RTR for $439? seems like an amazing deal, but it scares me that there is a major lack of talk.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

I think the teckno is a little over budget right now. I am leaning toward the lost scte. Is the RTR ok for starters, or will I wish I got the ARR with my own electronics?

And why is no one commenting on the TA sc8.2e RTR for $439? seems like an amazing deal, but it scares me that there is a major lack of talk.
Its 1/8 scale, so any chance of racing it are kinda no no.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Not looking to race, this will be first car for bashing around town...
Old 11-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Not looking to race, this will be first car for bashing around town...
Hmmm, 1/10 scts are pretty big already. If you want to go bigger though, the sc8 looks to be a pretty good truck though.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Hmmm, 1/10 scts are pretty big already. If you want to go bigger though, the sc8 looks to be a pretty good truck though.
Your absolutely right about the SC8, Panda. I've had my 8e for a couple years, so far I've only replaced bumpers (TBR), I'm on my 2nd body, still have the original, just went for a different look, and I just replaced the ESC with the MM2. Only down side is, as you said earlier, not enough to make classes at most tracks. Great basher though, built like a tank. The stock RX/TX and electronics, IMO, in the .2e kind of suck.

Buggies, in my opinion are great racers, but a little too fragile for all out bashing. I love my mbx6e.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just do the Slash 4X4 RTR package. It is super durable and will do exactly what you want to do and more. Don't get me wrong you CAN break anything and will more than likely break something the first day LOL. The radio equipment is just fine. I would stay away from the buggy as a basher.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

My opinion/experience:

In the last 2 years I have owned HPI Vorza 1/8 buggy, HotBodies Ve8 1/8 buggy, Traxxas Slash/Rally 4x4 LCG, HotBodies D8T 1/8 truggy converted to electric, Traxxas Erevo both brushed and brushless, HPI Baja 5b and a few others lol.

The Baja was the most expensive to run, maintain and customize. It was also the least durable. Huge aftermarket, so easy to customize, but very expensive. Biggest pain to work on.

The Slash/Rally 4x4 has been the most fun to me. As a Rally, big jumps and really rough offroad terrain is limited due to the low clearance, mainly due to the front bumper. As a Slash, it handles it better. Durable, but something will break or let go frequently. Usually something minor, and parts are cheap and easy to find. Pretty easy to work on. Lots of aftermarket stuff too.

Vorza - Durable, fast. Not too much aftermarket stuff, but doesn't need it either. Easy to work on. Parts are not too expensive.

Ve8 - The most durable of all I owned. Very easy to work on. Does require a few upgrades which aren't cheap, but not too expensive either.

D8T- Very durable, parts are fairly inexpensive. Great for really rough terrain, but just wasn't that fun to drive. Very stable. Easy to work on.

Erevo - Durable, had very few issues. Not bad to work on either. Fun to drive, but a little sloppy as far as handling.

So...If you want something as an all around rc, and are going to be running an occasional track race, and mostly smoother terrain, Slash/Rally or 1/8 buggy is the way to go. Buggy will require bigger and more expensive batteries. Tires for Slash/Rally and 1/8 buggy are around the same cost, and there are tons of options for tires, both on and off road.

Rougher terrain? Erevo or truggy.

One of the things that made me get the Traxxas is parts support. Anything Traxxas makes, they make forever lol. So if you put it away for a long time, there will always be parts when you come back to it.

As far as the 1/8 Associated SC8e, it is big and pretty durable. For some reason, 1/8 short course did not take off though, and most places do not have a class for it. Also, I ran the same buggy body for over a year, and it held up great. I retired it just to have something different lol. SC bodies take a beating, and will need replacement often if you roll or crash often. The SC8e bodies are kinda pricey.

Last edited by badaml; 11-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Dang. Lots of writing, but it all seems very good.

I agree on the traxxas stuff, and stuff that they dont make, all the vehicles are so similar, you can always find a part that works.

Of all my vehicles, tracxas has been the esiest to get parts for, tamiya has been the worst.

If you are interested in 1/8 nitro buggy, tamiya has the trf801x on their website super cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.